Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arm removal tool??

Hey guys
    I have ​​​been thinking about upgrading to E36 m3 control arms and now I need to remove the aluminum arms without damaging them or tearing the boots. Any pointers on tools used to assist in getting the ball joins loose to remove the arms? I know ECS has a tool for $60 or so, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried something else with better success. Input is appreciated.

Hamik
    Finnally Powered by my ///M3
    1990 E30 M3
    1973 M2

Those sorts of tools are fairly standard...

If you try your local auto parts store I am pretty sure you can find one that will work for quite a bit less than $60. Just avoid the ones that are basically a wedge shaped two pronged fork intended to be hammered in to force the parts apart. These are almost certain to tear the boots. On the other hand, $60 from ECS for a tool you "know" will work may not be the worst deal I have ever seen. Sometimes shortcuts or going cheap ends up costing you more in the end.

Ball joints are weird....some almost fall out when you take the nut off....others require almost unimaginable force before they break loose. Before investing in a tool, you might loosen the nut and tap fairly lightly on the bottom of the stud with a brass hammer (BRASS!) and see if yours are in the easy group. But if you don't have a brass hammer...that would cost $30 bucks or so regardless.

Comment

You can get replacement boots ( aftermarket, not BMW/Lemforder ) if you tear one during removal. If you do use the fork type tool, slap some grease on the boot and tool. There's still a decent chance of tearing it, but it can help make it less of a certainty.
      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Guys thanks for the info, I hate the fork type, they always tear the boots, the Ecs ones look cool though
        Finnally Powered by my ///M3
        1990 E30 M3
        1973 M2

Comment

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../008959sch01a/

Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
          1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
          2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
          http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Back the nut off enough to protect the thread then hammer the top of the nut down to loosen the joint. No special tools required and no damage to the boots.

Or am I missing something?
            If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

Originally posted by caneswell View Post
              Back the nut off enough to protect the thread then hammer the top of the nut down to loosen the joint. No special tools required and no damage to the boots.

Or am I missing something?
              Not really missing anything....except some of them require way more force than that to break loose.

Comment

Loosening the nut and giving a SOLID wack to the subframe in the vicinity of the ball joint does the trick for me every time. Falls right down and nut keeps it from flying out. they sometimes need a little help with caneswells method
                sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

I have never had much trouble loosening them on my M3....

But I had a Lexus DD years ago, had to replace the ball joints. Tried tapping with a hammer. No luck. Tried a tool like in post #5, wound up breaking the tool. Finally had to use penetrating oil, one of the fork type tools, and a 3# hammer and beat on it for all I was worth to get it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                    I have never had much trouble loosening them on my M3....

But I had a Lexus DD years ago, had to replace the ball joints. Tried tapping with a hammer. No luck. Tried a tool like in post #5, wound up breaking the tool. Finally had to use penetrating oil, one of the fork type tools, and a 3# hammer and beat on it for all I was worth to get it loose.
                    ohh man those suck!
                    sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X