Throttle position tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle position tolerance?

With the accelerator pedal fully depressed by a helper, I can push on the ball mount rod another inch or so down with my hand. This can't be right so how much further should you be able to push down on the throttle rod with pedal maxed out? Should there be a tiny bit or should the pedal and your hand max out that rods downward movement equally? If so, how do you adjust?

The throttle cable is tight so I think the adjustment would have to be on the throttle rod side no?

It should be wide open. Did you check the stopper that is under the gas pedal? It could be preventing the pedal from depressing fully.

Comment

Yeah I did but it seems the threads are corroded enough it surely couldn't have backed out any. Perhaps I should snug it down first and go from there. Good call.

Comment

It could also be the throttle cable itself is out of adjustment. There's a threaded collar at the throttle bracket. Wind it outward to take up cable slack. 9 times out of 10, this is the issue. Make sure however that the throttle stop bolts are on the throttle bodies. They prevent the blades from going past fully open. You should really perform this adjustment with the airbox removed so you can see when the throttle blades are perfectly open.
        Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
        • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
        • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
        • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
        • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
        • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
        • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
        • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
        • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
        • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Yes I took all slack out to where it was just before opening tb. Even then I had an inch or so left after pushing pedal down. Pedal feels about the same as the other e30 as far as travel. Perhaps the stops are missing or incorrect.

Anyone have a picture of their throttle rods (with ball joint) and their position when accelerator is all the way down? Mine ends up flush with fuel rail, just trying to gauge what it should be with everything setup correctly including stops.

Comment

Take a couple of pics and post them so we can see.
            Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
            • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
            • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
            • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
            • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
            • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
            • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
            • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
            • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
            • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Got some light on the sitchi-ation, realized I forgot to slide the pedal attachment point back onto the assembly. and it was just resting on the stopper. I pulled the interior to look for rust and hammer out down floor pans.

The good news is after getting the new tank in and all new brakes/lines in along with the new injectors this is the first time I have been able to go full throttle in the car after fixing that pedal. It was glorious.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X