Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My S14 fresh from Korman, and Question about coolant line routing

Hey guys,

Picked up my S14 from Korman Saturday. Some before and after pics below.

What I'm trying to figure out now is some routing of the coolant lines on the firewall, with the inline thermostat that connects to the heater core. I'm pretty certain my P.O. had some lines reversed here, because mine looked like a mess and most other S14s are nice and neat. Wanting to install these lines and finish up the firewall before putting the motor/trans in.

Does anyone have a better picture or diagram of this set of hoses?

Engine pics for your trouble...

BEFORE

As purchased...

As removed...

AFTER

Hi, Currsdei,
    Your first picture shows the rear of the engine with the recalled coolant temperature part added. Without that part the hot coolant comes out the back of the head and goes to the heater directly, and the return from the heater goes though the second hose to the front of the engine through the steel tube. With the recall part added, the two hoses are cut so you can't return to the original configuration without replacing those two hoses. The recall was to prevent hot coolant from going to the drivers feet if the temperature regulator at the heater core failed. So the coolant lines are much neater before the recall, and there are something like 10 more places for it to leak after.
    Larry

Comment

Edit:misread your post at first. Edited below

Are you saying the thermostat (pic below) was added due to a recall?

And for the line that is cut in half, it looks like mine has the line below cut in half on either end of the thermostat above.

Are the lines that come off the "T" this guy cut in half?...

Also, it looks like the heater control valve was replaced with a new version....

Comment

looks very clean and well done

Comment

Man that's a Beauty!

Comment

Hi, CurrusDei,
            Yes, the two small coolant hoses are cut to install the small thermostat and there are two even smaller hoses that are also added. You can run the uncut hoses just as well, as I have done and the only risk is if the heater valve fails and spills coolant on your gas pedal foot, which is a small risk.
            Larry

Comment

I wonder if the new heater valve design negates the need for the tstat. Wonder how I would even go about finding out

Comment

I would replace the heater core - AFAIK the heater core bursting was the main reason for this dodgy valve thing...
                The plastic frame of the heat exchanger gets brittle with age until it cant hole the pressure anymore.
                And believe me, you would not want to experience that during driving.
                With a new heater core + valve + tubes you should be in for 15+ troublefree years

Thomas
                sigpic

Comment

Yep. I have a new heater core. Looks like a newer design.

Comment

wow, totally awesome. thanks for sharing. ray Korman is sooooo awesome. most underrated shop/mechanic in all the bmw community. I loooooove Korman Autoworks. congratulations on your purchase.
                    the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Never seen this setup on a Euro car. Is it US only ?
                      This space is a sanctimonious shit-free zone.

Comment

• nilsp
                        nilsp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same here!
                        I thought that was some "home-made" stuff when first saw it

Originally posted by evans61 View Post
                      wow, totally awesome. thanks for sharing. ray Korman is sooooo awesome. most underrated shop/mechanic in all the bmw community. I loooooove Korman Autoworks. congratulations on your purchase.
                      Thanks! He is a really nice guy. Carl is a great guy as well. Well worth the extra cost and 20 hours of collective driving to/from for delivery/pickup. Excited to get it installed (going to be a few months probably while i finish out the firewall, fuel system, etc.

They talked me into some evo upgrades. Now has evo cams, evo springs, evo flywheel to go with my evo intake, splitter, spoiler, undertray, etc etc. Still will be slower than my daily, but with those parts likely to go NLA (cams already have), i thought it was a good option to go ahead.

Originally posted by BMG View Post
                      Never seen this setup on a Euro car. Is it US only ?
                      Not sure. Recall related so thats a possibility. My car is a California car

Comment

I think I would try and avoid buying a heater control valve like shown in your post, these was a forum member here recently with one like that which leaked at the flange joint under the valve. Probably buy direct from BMW might be the way forward, I donít think you could go wrong installing new core, valve, pipes and hoses and then not installing the thermostat valve in the heater circuit.

E30 M3 1987
                        Mini Clubman GT
                        BMW E36 323 Msport
                        Toyota Corona
                        KTM 200EXC
                        Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

How much does a complete rebuild cost these days? The engine looks beautiful.
                          October 1987 build date.

Comment

What spark plug wires are those? Are those the Evo wires or aftermarket upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                          X