No announcement yet.

Valve cover and intake plenum clean up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover and intake plenum clean up.

has anyone tried cleaning up the valve cover and plenum on their own? I was told I can do a pretty good job with just crinkle paint masking tape and lipstick. Has anyone ever undertaken this task on their own and how did it come out?

Best thing to do is get powder coated,looks better and last longer

Comment

^^^ What he said ^^^

There are several DIY on the site. You just need to search.

Basically an aircraft grade paint stripper, make sure it's cleaned off, paint with the crinkle paint. Then sand down the lettering and ribbing or mask it prior to paint. Harley Davidson makes an aerosol crinkle paint. I picked up a couple of cans years back I've never used.
      Last edited by L James; 09-12-2017, 06:15 AM.
      1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
      1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
      1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

I did the paint on both of mine. Skipped the masking on the letters, sanded the surfaces with a block to expose the letters, then a dead flat clear coat to protect the sanded metal. Came out great but does not hold up to scratches like powder coat.

Comment

I would repeat the recommendations for powder coat. The valve cover is a part that experiences a lot of temp and general wear, and I question how long rattle can paint would last. Mine was powder coated in 2003, and while it has held up well in general it is showing some scuffing and fading.

Comment

I believe I'm right in saying rattle can paint being 1K paint is never as good at bonding to a surface or as oil/petrol/brake fluid resistant as proper 2K paint or powder coating. That said, this was one of the first jobs I did with my car at purchase and it held up well for 5 years daily driven before I took it off the road, at which point it was still good.
            I've used VHT wrinkle paint on a few cars and its quite easy to do, the trick being you need a heat gun or hair dryer to get it to wrinkle properly.
            If you like doing the job yourself at a cost of $15 or so and accept it won't last as long as powder coats, go for it.

20160812_175140 by e30 m3, on Flickr

20160531_122142 by e30 m3, on Flickr

20160531_122006 by e30 m3, on Flickr

20160925_130743 by e30 m3, on Flickr

This space is a sanctimonious shit-free zone.

Comment

When I bought my car 13 years ago, the original paint was peeling off the valve cover. I took it to a place that hot tank cleaned it and it came out shiny aluminum. I intended to repaint it, but it looked so good, I just left it bare aluminum. Still looks the same 13 years later. Zero maintenance. Not original, but I get a lot of comments on it at shows.

At the same time, I cleaned and painted my intake plenum. I just used plain high temp spray paint and it has held up very well. Sometimes I wish I would have left it bare aluminum to match the valve cover.

Comment

BMG,
                what did you use to polish the bare aluminum.
                Beautiful work BTW
                There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Bmg your clover and plenum came out great... what is the part number for that rubber hose that goes from the plenum to the air box?

Comment

Originally posted by Afonsom3 View Post
                    Bmg your clover and plenum came out great... what is the part number for that rubber hose that goes from the plenum to the air box?
                    Not sure if this is the part you mean but the boot going from the plenum to the air box is 11611310785 according to RealOEM
                    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0905

1988 Lachssilber E30 M3
                    1977 320i Track Toy

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Afonsom3 View Post
                        Various grades of wet and dry paper to remove light marks and corrosion. It's not polished as such and only up to around 800 grit to give it a kinda brushed aluminium look.
                        This space is a sanctimonious shit-free zone.

Comment

Working...
                        X