Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In tank lifter pump - Airtex replacment pile-o-crap.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In tank lifter pump - Airtex replacment pile-o-crap.

Went to fit this to the tank today. Fitted in fine and all looked good until I tried to slot the fuel lever sender in. It simply doesn't sit on the base as the sender hits the fuel feed pipe. Either the pipe is welded in wonky of the hole and studs are out of alignment. I tried to file a bit of the side of the sender unit to clear, but even doing this didn't work and would have to cut in to too much to be safe.
    I couldn't find this pump in the UK with the correct electrical connection and bought on from a US retailer. Anyway, seems garbage and a waste of money. The old one is rusted and no use.
    Anyone got a genuine frame they don't need ?

PS. Is Airtex a junk parts brand in the US ? I've never heard of them before on this side of the pond.
    This space is a sanctimonious shit-free zone.

I have never heard of Airtex.

My last few in-tank pumps have been made by VDO...and I have had terrible luck with them....probably because I run fuel with a lot of ethanol.

Comment

This is the one. http://www.airtexproducts.com/single...41H&id=98756AX
      I had a spare pump, but the frame top was rusted away so went with this, mostly just to get a new frame, but that's junk if the sender won't slot inside.

Comment

I didn't know Airtex made an assembly for our cars. Airtex is one of those aftermarket brands sold at auto parts stores. A few years back, they were selling Walbro made pumps in Airtex boxes.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj
        [/url]Barrye30s 1sm by Barry Robinson, on Flickr
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH
        98 528I SPORT 5 SPEED- SCHWARZ/SCHWARZ

Comment

I just installed an airtex in tank pump a couple of months ago. Had the car up in running in 20 minutes. I remember running into the pump not fitting. I don't recall exactly what it was but i know it was related to the fuel level sensor. Like i had to install it after the pump was in
          sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

I just used a chevy vega pump from auto parts store. It is virtually identical in size/shape to OE. Can't remember if it was a spectra or airtex but it works fine. I think it was like 30 bucks.

We did do a late body tank swap on the racecar and use 2 ETA pumps (OEM) one to feed the other then the other to feed the main. Perhaps an ETA assembly could work if you wanted the full assembly and pump? Mines an 87 M3 so probably could have done that but decided to just swap the pump only and used the old chevy vega one. Worked perfect.

Edit: just re-read and see that your pump chassis is shot. Are you sure it can't be wire brushed and cleaned up? You can add a new wire with eyelet and small nut and bolt for ground. Positive I believe goes up through a fitted sleeve, if that's ruined you may be in trouble. Is the new one you bought have the pipe soldered on? You can sometimes put heat to it and rotate it a bit. Add some more solder in if you are worried.

Comment

The chassis simply doesn't allow the sender unit to sit flush, the feed pipe is simply too close to the cut out for the sender, even after removing material from the side of the sender.
              I thought the chassis part would be fine and the pump a cheap item. The original one is shot and too rusty and a split in the plastic for the wire feed up to the electrical plug.
              Think I'll stick it back in the box and revisit later, unless anyone has an original chassis they want to sell ?

Comment

We may have one or two 87 chassis at the shop, I'll ask Zach if he can find them.
                Question: Did you install the chassis first THEN install the sender after? Or did you try to drop everything in at once.....

Comment

Working...
                X