Carbon fiber replica of stock intake plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber replica of stock intake plenum

So I see that there is a carbon fiber replica of the stock intake plenum available.

Has anyone here tried one?

Does it sound any different or is it purely for looks + weight reduction?

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I'd be interested in one just to take some of the weight off the intake gaskets.

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

Many years ago Gustave was running one of those...I have no first hand knowledge of them however.

I am very confident you would hear more intake noise with one...just like you do with the normal CF airboxes. There would be no performance improvement. Weight reduction would also be a worthwhile goal, since the weight of the stock plenum is a factor in the life of the throttle body gaskets.

Comment

I thought it would be a decent upgrade for the weight on the TB gaskets as well, especially as the gaskets age.

I also donít know that Iím confident in the process of setting up Alpha N on my S14. So, I thought it might be a good compromise to get a CF replica plenum to maybe experience some of that DTM sound, and then maybe do a Split Second MAF, or similar.

Definitely would love to hear from anyone who has one of these CF replica plenums.

Comment

I have heard they sound similar. You're not going to get any HP gains from it without the Alpha N.

Here's some info.

https://splitsec.com/dm-class-e30-m3-race-car/

Comment

It's also worth noting the CF plenum will remain cooler vs. the aluminum plenum which is a heat sink and holds onto a lot of heat, warming the intake air.
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

So in effect you DO gain but probably negligible. I was debating on shimming the support mount for the stock plenum to take a bit of the "sag" out as I install new intake gaskets but maybe the carbon box is a good call. Who sells them? Saw an old for sale ad of one on here once.

Comment

Where can I find custom 4.75 inch unit with MAF ? Could you help me built one ? If can't be found, what MAF do I need ?
                Thank you !

Comment

Hi again ! Is it possible to get out MAF sensor from the OEM S14 Stock MAF and implant it in aluminium cone ? Or they used some kind programable MAF ? I thought about using the original I am not looking for additional HP just the looks and sound of carbon DTM Box

Comment

Originally posted by fsound View Post
                    Hi again ! Is it possible to get out MAF sensor from the OEM S14 Stock MAF and implant it in aluminium cone ? Or they used some kind programable MAF ? I thought about using the original I am not looking for additional HP just the looks and sound of carbon DTM Box
                    That sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
                    1988 M3
                    2012 335is
                    1993 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by fsound View Post
                      Not really....the OEM "MAF" uses a spring loaded flapper door and it is an integral part of the entire AFM assembly. It is an obsolete design from the early days of electronic fuel injection, clunky and restrictive. That is why so many people replace them.

Comment

So you have to program on Dyno the MAF ? It is not possible just to put it in and forget about ? Bottom line It is like Alpha-N less or more HP.
                        Thank you !

Comment

You will get the extra growl that your looking for even with the AFM in place. Only way to remove the AFM is to go Alpha N.

sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

OK ! But it needs to be programmed ? IS there stand alone AFM/MAF that can be used as plug and play without any software change or additional tuning, that can be used with DTM carbon Box ?

PS : Maybe I am confusing something, options for DTM Box with :
                            1. Alpha-N needs to be dyno tuned by professional or it comes with chip that plugs in to ECU 071 ?
                            Nothing will be connected to DTM Box it is a software.
                            2. AFM is upgrade from factory MAF needs also be dyno tuned or it comes with chip ?
                            Connected with 4.75 custom Cone to DTM Box .
                            3. Factory MAF, not sure how can be connected to DTM Box

Comment

Fsound...you are kind of losing me with regard to what you are asking for...

The E30M3 came stock with an "AFM"....using a spring loaded flapper door forced open by air pressure....connected to an electronic sensor. In a nutshell, the computer senses how much air is going into the engine by how far open the flapper door is.

A "MAF" is a different (more modern) type of sensor entirely. It uses a heated wire. The airflow going into the engine blows on the wire and the computer measures airflow into the engine based upon how much the wire gets cooled off. The E30M3 never came stock with a "MAF". There were kits to ditch the AFM and replace it with a MAF....and those were fairly popular years ago...but I don't think too many people use them anymore. Most have either returned the car to stock (AFM) or use some sort of A/N system.

"Alpha/N" (A/N) is a different system that uses neither the AFM nor a MAF. With A/N fueling is set via tables based on throttle position (0-100%) and RPM. The advantage to A/N is that it uses no device to measure incoming air, because such devices can restrict the amount of airflow. The disadvantage to A/N is that as you mentioned, it does require tuning to work well. It does not necessarily have to be a "professional" who does the tuning, but someone has to. You might be able to get an A/N "map" either with the system or from another E30M3 owner who uses it, that will put your car close to a correct tune....but inevitably some tweaking will still be required.

I think you are confused by your use of the term "MAF". The E30M3 never used one....at least not as MAF is normally defined.

I suppose it would be possible to adapt a MAF from some other car to work with the E30M3 and a CF DTM airbox....but it would be complex to do...far more complex than just using some sort of Alpha-N. I don't know of anyone who has ever done it. Alpha-N works great once it is tuned, and the simplicity of it in concept is a nice feature.

The CF box that is just a replica of the stock aluminum airbox (and which this thread is about) works with the stock AFM. It is a simple bolt in swap that would not require additional tuning or any other changes. Whether this airbox would provide the same sound as a full DTM style box, I cannot say.

Comment

Working...
                              X