Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used a transverse engine lift bar for their S14?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank
    replied
    Thank you guys. Iím getting a basic version myself. Going to give it a whirl.

Leave a comment:

• GeoS
    replied
    Princess Auto is the equivalent here in Canada. Often the items even look the same as HF or just painted a different colour. Have an engine lift, stand and bar. No issues.

A version of the simple bar is what I used as well and was stable.

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    I have also had good luck with Harbor Freight and if something breaks or doesn't work right.....bring it back and try a new one or get a refund. Easy peasy....

Leave a comment:

• jwbavalon
    replied
    The only downside is that I now have a basement full of one use lifts, hoists, jacks, etc. They are as cheap as renting except now I own it. The old days you would rent and return and not take up space.

On the other hand it is sure nice to have one of the items when you need it. And if you are cleaning up there is always the for sale ads.

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    replied
    I have a bunch of stuff from Harbor Freight too -- but I buy it not expecting it to last forever. I buy their 3-jaw puller set and have broken a few of them, but at $12 over the 10 years I've had it, seemed ok. I also bought a slide hammer / bearing puller thing I have used twice to do rear wheel bearings and for the price it works great.

The engine stand, lift bar -- are all good ideas. For most of us they get used so infrequently that they will last a long time -- spend your money on OEM parts instead

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Not intending to derail the thread, but I have tried a few of the HF hand tools (ratchets, sockets, wrenches) and have had some pleasant surprises. I watch the Harbor Freight Reviews threads on HF tools,,, very informative.
    The tool junkies on that forum get really detailed.
    The things I have tried I have to say were pleasant surprises. Their fine tooth ratchets are surprisingly good. The wrenches don't have a good feel yet, but the sockets work as well as any others I own.

Now to clarify I'm not a tool snob, I don't own a Snap On anything,,, most of my tools are pre-China Craftsman, or SK or more recently some Kobalt so maybe my standards are not super high end, but I do wrench a lot and use my tools a lot and have been pleasantly surprised with some of the HF hand tool selection.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
    I have a no name Chinese foldable one that came from a "Harbor Freight like" source before there were actual Harbor Freight stores in towns across the US.
    Mine looks just like the ones in Harbor Freight except its a different color.

HF can be polarizing for sure, but honestly in my humble experience I have had good luck.
    All 3 of my original HF aluminum track jacks are all still working like new maybe 15 years later?
    I have a few of their newer toolboxes which are stellar quality for the price point, even at double the cost.
    I have a HF 1/4 ton hoist in my shop for lifting engines, trannies,wheels & tires, machinery in and out of the basement to / from the shop level and its been working great for 10 years now.

If my current engine hoist were to vanish tomorrow, I'd probably just go to HF and buy one,,, or at least look it over.
    You can also check Northern Tool, etc, but lets face it, they are all probably coming from the same factory in China, only with different colors of paint for the different sellers.
    A foldable hoist will be more versatile for you for sure, if you have the space to store it.
    I agree about Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff can be an incredible value.

I got tired of renting shop cranes...the only ones available for rent in my area weigh about 300 pounds and have enough capacity to lift an engine from a semi. I finally bought a folding crane from HF. It was like $120....can lift any engine I will ever be working with...and works fine.

I also have an HF disc sander....and I use the crap out of it. Works great.

I probably would avoid HF tools for things that will get used constantly...like ratchets and sockets and such....but even then if I gave them a try I figure I might be pleasantly surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Crank
    replied
    Thank you. Appreciate all the detail, guys.

Leave a comment:

• Ron ///Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Crank View Post
    So you guys donít think the 2nd set of arms to stabilize the setup is needed?
    My support bar only has one arm and one hook and it has worked fine. It's perfectly stable.

Leave a comment:

• Crank
    replied
    So you guys donít think the 2nd set of arms to stabilize the setup is needed?

Leave a comment:

• Ron ///Man
    replied
    I suggest one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1100Lb-Engi...-/232564888291 I've seen these for as little as $40 from time to time. It has lots of adjust-ability for both the feet, and the support hooks. Mine is a bit different, but this one looks like it will do the job. You only need one hook as the front pick up point for an S14 is near the center of the engine. At 1100lb capacity, there should be no problem supporting the front of an S14.

Leave a comment:

• nsubre
    replied
    Hi, Crank,
    I lift the engine with the eye in the alternator attachment bracket. It is at the front of the engine and works OK. You don't need the HF thing for that. The engine pivots from the rear tranny mounts and I find no problem there.
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Crank
    replied
    Youíre right - probably all identical, made in the same Chinese factory, with only the paint color to differentiate.

Definitely appreciate the comments. Iíll have to think on this a bit more.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    I have a no name Chinese foldable one that came from a "Harbor Freight like" source before there were actual Harbor Freight stores in towns across the US.
    Mine looks just like the ones in Harbor Freight except its a different color.

HF can be polarizing for sure, but honestly in my humble experience I have had good luck.
    All 3 of my original HF aluminum track jacks are all still working like new maybe 15 years later?
    I have a few of their newer toolboxes which are stellar quality for the price point, even at double the cost.
    I have a HF 1/4 ton hoist in my shop for lifting engines, trannies,wheels & tires, machinery in and out of the basement to / from the shop level and its been working great for 10 years now.

If my current engine hoist were to vanish tomorrow, I'd probably just go to HF and buy one,,, or at least look it over.
    You can also check Northern Tool, etc, but lets face it, they are all probably coming from the same factory in China, only with different colors of paint for the different sellers.
    A foldable hoist will be more versatile for you for sure, if you have the space to store it.

Leave a comment:

• Crank
    replied
    So you would recommend the cheaper standard version, Ron ///Man?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...e-support-bar/

The deluxe version has only the one threaded rod for supporting the engine. The basic version has two. Not sure which is a better setup as I havenít used one yet. What do you guys think?

The foldable engine hoist is an interesting idea. I guess I was looking at the engine support bar because itís compact. What engine hoist/crane brand would you recommend? Harbor Freight has always given me the willies... although maybe it shouldnít...?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X