Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Might as well start a thread for all my questions. I am reassembling my engine after a year of taking it apart. This is the first S14, let alone BMW, I have ever worked on. Spent almost 20 years building water-cool Volkswagens and I knew them inside and out. This is a whole new world for me and I am going to have a ton of questions as I m putting everything back together.
    My first question is simple: What is this hole used for (circled in red)? This isn't a picture of my car. Found it on google images just for reference. I know the ones to the left of it are for the power steering bracket. And the oil filter housing is above it. But I can't figure out what this hole is for. I've searched online and through every resource I can think of, but can't get a clear picture of this area of the block. Are there any unused holes on the S14 block?

That hole sits just behind the power steering pump bracket and is unused on all of the engines I have seen. I have no idea why bmw built it into the casting.

Comment

You may find this album useful for remembering how the internals go back together:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/christ...57659294587724

-chris
      1988 M3
      2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Great pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by christsay View Post
          You may find this album useful for remembering how the internals go back together:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/christ...57659294587724

-chris
          Wow! Awesome! Thank you so much!

Comment

I am having the worst time finding torque specs for this engine. Wish Bentley just made a repair manual for these cars. The e-manuals just seem to be missing so much information.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the timing chain slider bolts?

realoem.com only shows 1 on the diagram but there is def 2. I have uploaded a pic of the bolt I am talking about as well as an arrow showing where the second one goes. I am assuming they both will have the same torque specs. But I can't find it anywhere.
            Attached Files

Comment

I didn't use a torque spec but went "tight". I think they are M6 if that helps.

The other slider is #21 in the attached. It holds the pipe that goes from the oil pump outlet up into the main oil galley.

-chris
              Attached Files
              1988 M3
              2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Oh ok. I was wondering why it wasn't on that other diagram. Makes sense now. I feel like that #21 would def need a specific torque since there is an o-ring in it.

Comment

The o-ring is in it's own recessed ring on the pipe, so once the pipe is fully flush against the block it won't compress anymore. I was worried about it being crushed but after taking a look at things it won't get smashed to a pancake.

Speaking of o-rings and timing gear, don't forget the two o-rings that go in the guide:
                  no o-ring! by chris tsay, on Flickr

-chris
                  1988 M3
                  2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

I actually just ordered those o-rings this morning. Haha.

Another simple question. Is the crank pulley nut reusable? Or will I need to buy a new one? On other engines I have worked on they are usually stretch bolts and have to be replaced every time they're removed.

Comment

Iíve always reused the crank pulley nuts with no issue

Comment

Originally posted by Broken88 View Post
                        I actually just ordered those o-rings this morning. Haha.

Another simple question. Is the crank pulley nut reusable? Or will I need to buy a new one? On other engines I have worked on they are usually stretch bolts and have to be replaced every time they're removed.
                        The 2.3 crank uses a nut...the 2.5 uses a bolt...not sure which you are building. At any rate, the 2.3 nut and the 2.5 bolt are both reusable.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Stupid questions. Should these o-rings (oil pump and timing chain guide) be installed dry, or have some time of dressing? Says nothing in the e-manual.

Comment

I lubed them with some clean motor oil, seems a good idea for any o-ring.

-chris
                            1988 M3
                            2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Great pics - many thanks!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X