Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broken88 View Post

I would assume they are used as sort of a bushing. I imagine that tension may vibrate a lot, and this avoids metal on metal contact.
    Those o-rings in the long timing chain tensioner rail seal off the end so that oil pressure can reach the three holes (seen in the picture) and provide oil lubrication to the timing chain. Easy to overlook but an important detail in the rebuild.
    Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by ehmfree View Post

Those o-rings in the long timing chain tensioner rail seal off the end so that oil pressure can reach the three holes (seen in the picture) and provide oil lubrication to the timing chain. Easy to overlook but an important detail in the rebuild.
      That makes sense. Pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
        Not tried it myself, but told it does work well if you keep it heated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM
        So after failing to find a reputable local machine shop and dealing with some that didn't want to do the work. I decided to give this method a shot. Figured if it works great. If it doesn't I am back where I started. I cut an aluminum bottle in half and siliconed it on top of the broken bolt. I sealed all around to ensure no leaks. Its been going since 9:30 yesterday morning. I will check to see if it worked when I get home from work today.

Comment

So after he first front crankshaft seal kinked during installation. I bought another one. This one was a Goetze Teflon seal (guessing so, since itís a springless design). I installed it but it was damn hard to bang in there. Now looking at it, it looks like the seal is concaved. What do you guys think? Is it good or am I overreacting?
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks fine to me.
            Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I think it looks good.

It is very rare for the crank pulley seal to leak on the S14 anyway. It is the RMS that brings problems, potentially.

Comment

Ok Iíll just go with it then. If it does leak, at least itís super easy to replace (besides removing the crazy crank pulley bolt).
                Thanks guys.

Comment

Looks good to me too. I used some bearing press adapters from HF and a C-clamp to install mine:

Front crank seal install by chris tsay, on Flickr

-chris
                  1988 M3
                  2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Ok, my new question of the day. What is this part (#16 on the diagram). I can't seem to find this piece in my bundle of parts. Was I missing it to start with or is this another mistake on realoem.com? I can't seem to find it in any pictures online either. Just want to make sure before I torque everything down.

Comment

Ok, my new question of the day. What is this part (#16 on the diagram). I can't seem to find this piece in my bundle of parts. Was I missing it to start with or is this another mistake on realoem.com? I can't seem to find it in any pictures online either. Just want to make sure before I torque everything down.
                      The diagram isn't of an S14 engine. M10 engine ?

This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

So that bracket is not on the S14?

Comment

So that bracket is not on the S14?
                          Not that I know of. Where did you get the diagram from ? Just about every parts catalog and ETK I've seen shows the correct S14 engine parts for the timing cover.

Comment

I was wondering if you were using BMWfans.info for that pic as I use that site. When I clicked the link saved for my car ( a Euro car ) the correct timing cover is displayed . When I changed it to a US spec car, the pic you posted came up. Strange. The bracket although pictured, isn't listed as a part for the car though.

US spec entered.
                            http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...e/timing_case/

Euro spec entered.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...e/timing_case/

Comment

I got the photo on realoem.com. I will just move forward without the bracket.

As this is the first engine I have ever worked on with a timing chain, am I supposed to put assembly lube on the chain and gears? The e-manual I am using simply says poor oil on the chain down the timing cover after the timing cover is installed.Seems simple enough, just wanted to see if there was anything extra I should do. Search came up with nothing.

Comment

I got the photo on realoem.com. I will just move forward without the bracket.

As this is the first engine I have ever worked on with a timing chain, am I supposed to put assembly lube on the chain and gears? The e-manual I am using simply says poor oil on the chain down the timing cover after the timing cover is installed.Seems simple enough, just wanted to see if there was anything extra I should do. Search came up with nothing.
                                When you fill the engine with oil, it will automatically soak the timing chain and assorted parts. That is all you need to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X