No announcement yet.

Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thanks. Just got the timing cover on. Onto the next step.

Comment

I pour a little oil on the chain after fitting the cams while rotating to check timing.

Comment

About to install the oil separator assembly. Curious, can oil separators go bad like PCV valves? Is there a way to test them or clean them?

Comment

THis one doesn't fail. It's just a labyrinth inside.
          Did you manage to dissolve the bolt inside the upper oil pan?

Comment

No. After about 3 weeks of attempting to remove and dissolve the bolt, I gave up. I do think it made the broke bolt shorter, which made the hole more shallow. But the bolt never got skinnier, so it was still really jammed in there. So I ended up just finding a replacement upper pan.

I should be putting in the engine in the next week or so. So more questions will follow I'm sure.

Comment

Ah, what a shame. Thanks for the reply.
              I will give it a go myself on an M8 bolt that I drilled with a left drilling 6mm dril hoping it would come out but it didn't. hopefully it will dissolve in my case since the surface area is greater.

Comment

Yeah, I think that was the problem. Surface area was so small. Keep me posted. I believe I would try the method again if I was working with a bigger bolt or with more space.

Comment

Anyone ever replace #3 in this diagram. The "Needle Sleeve". I would like to know if its a regularly changed item or not and would like to know the best way to replace it. I can't seem to find anything on it online.

Comment

That's the needle bearing for the timing chain "idler" pulley. I have replaced it with each rebuild, just because it was inexpensive, it's a moving part, and I'm anal. If yours seems OK I'm sure it would be fine to reuse it.

I just bought the replacement from BMW.

Comment

Worth replacing on any build as $9 bearing.
                      This is the bearing and pulley.
                      20180502_003352 by e30 m3, on Flickr
                      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

That is pretty much how I felt, so I had purchased it during my parts gathering. Is it easy to replace? Standard bearing tool or a press required?

Comment

Originally posted by Broken88 View Post
                          That is pretty much how I felt, so I had purchased it during my parts gathering. Is it easy to replace? Standard bearing tool or a press required?
                          Standard fingers are all that are required. It pushes right in.

Comment

LOL. That's great. Thank you. I'm so close to getting the engine in the car. Its been a long and expensive road.

Comment

Mind the orientation when you put the idler gear back in

Comment

I may be installing the head this weekending. So I will also need some clarification on using sealant on the timing cover area when the head gasket is being installed. I have read countless threads on this topic and understand that a thing layer of 518 is needed where the timing cover meets the block under the head gasket. I have also read some threads saying to use sealer around the timing chain cover, but cant find exactly where or pics of the process.

In this picture, I have the timing chain to block connector marked in blue. Should I be applying 518 sealer around the timing chain (which I have circled in red)? Also, Does the sealer need to be applied to both the top and the bottom of the head gasket, or only on 1 side?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X