X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken88
    started a topic Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Broken88's Engine Assembly Question Thread

Might as well start a thread for all my questions. I am reassembling my engine after a year of taking it apart. This is the first S14, let alone BMW, I have ever worked on. Spent almost 20 years building water-cool Volkswagens and I knew them inside and out. This is a whole new world for me and I am going to have a ton of questions as I m putting everything back together.
    My first question is simple: What is this hole used for (circled in red)? This isn't a picture of my car. Found it on google images just for reference. I know the ones to the left of it are for the power steering bracket. And the oil filter housing is above it. But I can't figure out what this hole is for. I've searched online and through every resource I can think of, but can't get a clear picture of this area of the block. Are there any unused holes on the S14 block?

• Broken88
    replied
    Sounds good. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Washers might work, but if they are too "coarse" in their adjustment you will need shims.

IIRC they are M8 bolts holding on the guide rail. You can buy shims places like McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-shims/=1djcxvm

Just find the 8mm ID shims in whatever thickness you need. If you are outside the USA try whatever industrial hardware supply place is in your area. They are not hard to find.

I am sort of curious why they are needed though. In my case the guide rail centered perfectly on the chain with no washers or shims, and I imagine your parts have the same specs...?
    Last edited by Ironhead; 07-02-2018, 01:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    Ok great. I did the same. Just wanted to make sure.

According to the Dealer Repair Manual, the guide rail that sits on top of the timing chain needs to be centered. Mine is making contact with the top of the chain, but has a gap on the lower side of the chain. The manual doesn't mention how to actually center the rail and I can't seem to find anything about it online. Do I just put some washers under it to lift it up, or is there a better way to do this?

Leave a comment:

• hardtailer
    replied
    No, I didn't as there wasn't any upon disassembly.

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
    I smeared engine oil around the sides and put them in the bores they were in before disassembly.
    Correct, they are solid lifters.
    Thanks, do you put oil under the lifters as well? Where they meet the valve springs?

Leave a comment:

• christsay
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

You generally do not want to step on the clutch with the slave cylinder out....because....generally the piston will pop out. You should be able to slip it back in, or if you think it is bad just replace it. IIRC the slave cylinder is one of the few E30M3 parts that is not expensive.
    On a related note, don't pressure bleed the brake / clutch if the slave is out, for the same reason Ask me how I know...

-chris

Leave a comment:

• hardtailer
    replied
    I smeared engine oil around the sides and put them in the bores they were in before disassembly.
    Correct, they are solid lifters.

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    Question of the day - What is the proper procedure to reinstall the lifters? I understand these are solid lifters and do not need to be "bled", correct? So I have to soak them in oil? Assembly lube?
    Mine are used, but likely pretty dry after sitting on my bench for over a year.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    Yeah. I definitely stepped on the clutch with the engine out of the car. Natural reaction to press down the clutch when I was rolling the car in and out of the garage.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Broken88 View Post
    So turns out it was the slave cylinder. When I removed it with the car in gear, it now no longer rolls and the engine has resistance. (Definitely not enough to torque the crank pulley - not sure what the person who did that write up was doing). Anyways, not sure if the slave cylinder is bad or I just needed to bleed it after installing a new clutch.

Either way after I got the slave cylinder out. I stepped on the clutch to see if the rod would move. And it completely came out and is now wobbling around. Does this mean itís now definitely bad? Lol. I will prolly replace it either way and upgrade my slave cylinder hose.
    You generally do not want to step on the clutch with the slave cylinder out....because....generally the piston will pop out. You should be able to slip it back in, or if you think it is bad just replace it. IIRC the slave cylinder is one of the few E30M3 parts that is not expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    So turns out it was the slave cylinder. When I removed it with the car in gear, it now no longer rolls and the engine has resistance. (Definitely not enough to torque the crank pulley - not sure what the person who did that write up was doing). Anyways, not sure if the slave cylinder is bad or I just needed to bleed it after installing a new clutch.

Either way after I got the slave cylinder out. I stepped on the clutch to see if the rod would move. And it completely came out and is now wobbling around. Does this mean itís now definitely bad? Lol. I will prolly replace it either way and upgrade my slave cylinder hose.

Leave a comment:

• Broken88
    replied
    Thanks. I was able to wedge a pry bar in there and get it pretty tight. Still need a bigger torque wrench to get to the appropriate torque.

Still stumped by the engine spinning freely while in gear. I am now pretty certain the clutch is just engaged and wont disengage. I definitely installed the clutch correctly, as 1 side said "transmission side" or something like that. And the throw out bearing was def on the fork correctly when I put the engine in, I just hope it didn't move as I was fitting the block.

I am also pretty new to clutch master cylinders. Most of the old watercooled VW cars I have owned and worked on use a clutch cable. I am not sure how a properly bled master cylinder, or vacuum from a running engine would effect the car going into gear. The master cylinder is used to engage the clutch, not disengage, so I am pretty certain that is not the issue. Unless the master cylinder arm is out and wont release until the car is started....... This car has sat since 2006 and has not been turned on since then either. The motor is not together enough to turn it on. But I will hold off on the transmission removal until I can at least start the car.

But at this point, I am pretty certain that eventually the transmission will need to come out.

Leave a comment:

• hardtailer
    replied
    The bmw tool is supposed to work like this but although I have this tool it doesn't line up with any of the holes to bolt it tight:

Do you have access to the BMW workshop manual on the S14? If not, it's available here http://m3guru.bmwe30m3.net/

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Same here....I have a chisel that has a tip that fits perfectly into the flywheel teeth....that is how I have always removed the crank pulley bolt. I just kind of wedge it in place and it locks the flywheel perfectly. No damage ever results.

As others have said, trying to do it by leaving the car in gear with the parking brake on does not work at all. Just way too much flex in the driveline.

It's funny....first time I removed that bolt....it was a huge hassle and took me all day to finally get it off. Once I got the technique down, it takes no longer than removing any other bolt. Part of the technique is a 3/4" drive breaker bar from Harbor Freight....and a five foot long piece of pipe slipped over that. With a lever that long, the bolt has no chance. It doesn't even take much effort.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X