Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

J STOCK springs are BACK!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am gonna guess that was part in the problem. The Billy DAMPER was too long for spring allowing inside rear wheel to move uncontrolled.
    75 M2
    88 M3

Comment

• Very glad these finally got back into production - who would have thought! Springs and Front Dampers ordered from Turner...the general consensus seems to be the Bilstein Motorsport shock is the way to go for the rear rather than getting existing Bilstein's revalved...thank you internet. Pity it's not inverted, but no biggie
      JUNGL3

333i Sport - Alpina M52 3.3, E30 M3 5 Stud

Comment

• Originally posted by JCGus View Post
        Very glad these finally got back into production - who would have thought! Springs and Front Dampers ordered from Turner...the general consensus seems to be the Bilstein Motorsport shock is the way to go for the rear rather than getting existing Bilstein's revalved...thank you internet. Pity it's not inverted, but no biggie
        You will want part number 24-000642. You won't find them in the states. I got mine here:

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/pr...9a6a7aa3&_ss=r

The compression number is higher than the original J-Stock dampers that Turner sold. Rebound is the same.
        1990 M3

Comment

• I like how after I install everything KW comes out with a bolt on coilover with their own hub/strut (no hacking required). OH well, I am loving the J-stock setup!

https://www.bimmerworld.com/KW-Coilo...-352200DB.html

Comment

• Yeah I saw those KW....that's SUPER handy to have the ability to replace the M3 struts with brand new kit....may leave that for version 4 of the car....great tip on those motorsport dampers, saves a lot of hassle. The car is the UK so easy enough
            JUNGL3

Comment

• IMO Coilovers don't dance well with these cars. I've had negative results with them so You made the right decision with the J-stocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by pauliecarzz View Post
                IMO Coilovers don't dance well with these cars. I've had negative results with them so You made the right decision with the J-stocks!
                Based on my experience I would tend to agree with you. For a track setup where you don't need to balance ride quality with handling characteristics coil overs are great. I went back to stock struts, H&R springs and Bilstein B8s dampers and the ride is so much more compliant yet still handles like my old GC setup.

I specifically noticed better ride characteristics from the back end of the car especially when driving over a section of road that drops and rises suddenly (not a pothole). The GC springs and Koni shocks couldn't seem to handle such a sharp transition, and at high speeds would bottom on the bump stops. I don't have that issue with the H&R / BIlly configuration.

Perhaps the KW setup affords a better balance between street and track than the GC setup does. I do know the higher up you go on the build quality scale on the damper side makes all the difference in the world. On my 1994 NSX I have a set of MCS 2WR (external canister) coil overs and they are a dream, but they are also super expensive. I think the MCS dampers are unmatched in the marketplace. They are a true motorsport damper that has been adapted for street use.

At the end of the day it really boils down to "you get what you pay for"
                1990 M3

Comment

• Super interesting feedback, thanks guys. Glad I've saved myself a few bob...although I still love the fact we can get a new M3 strut without going to the dealership...having said that, I haven't priced them up. I just know we are unlikely get 2nd hand ones...
                  JUNGL3

Comment

• A question for those running J Stocks - I got the fronts installed today and noticed the spring was not captive - is this typical for the J Stocks? I was under the impression that the shock had been shortened so they were captive on the strut when it’s off the car. I don’t recall them being loose when I installed my friends, admittedly years and years ago.

Cheers,
                    Gus
                    JUNGL3

Comment

A question for those running J Stocks - I got the fronts installed today and noticed the spring was not captive - is this typical for the J Stocks? I was under the impression that the shock had been shortened so they were captive on the strut when it’s off the car. I don’t recall them being loose when I installed my friends, admittedly years and years ago.

Cheers,
                      Gus
                      Did you remember to use the spring pads? I had a bit of a fight to get my upper mounts on without a spring compressor. There is no slop with mine.

Will
                      '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                      '88 M3

Comment

• Very odd - I have around 1.5 inches between the top of the spring - see pic. Spring pads are in but there's WAY too much space in my eyes

JUNGL3

Comment

• Just heard from Turner and apparently that's correct - will get them installed properly and give them a go. Have ordered the thicker spring pads to see if that helps
                          JUNGL3

Comment

I was under the impression that the shock had been shortened
                            The J-Stock Bilsteins that Turner sells are just modified with shorter internal bump stops and higher rate valving. Otherwise they are the same as your run-of-the-mill B8 (p/n 34-003350). For reference they are 25 5/8" long (extended).

You'll know you have the J-Stock Bilsteins because the revised valving rates are engraved on the top of the shock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	1288616
                            1990 M3

Comment

A question for those running J Stocks - I got the fronts installed today and noticed the spring was not captive - is this typical for the J Stocks? I was under the impression that the shock had been shortened so they were captive on the strut when it’s off the car. I don’t recall them being loose when I installed my friends, admittedly years and years ago.

Cheers,
                              Gus
                              The first set of J-Stock springs and shocks I installed about 15 years ago had that issue. I bought them used, and like you I assumed the shocks were not shortened enough or not the correct ones for a J-stock setup. Although the shocks were about 1" shorter than what came out of the car they still left a large gap from the spring to hat. That setup was kind of a pain to live with because every time I would lower the car I had to stop 1/2 way and make sure the spring was seating properly. Although, one thing that makes it a little better is that when you're jacking up only one side the sway bar applies tension to the lifted strut, so the gap is less than what you see with the suspension fully unloaded.

A couple years later I bought new J-stock shocks and springs directly from Turner and the fit was much closer. There is still a gap when unloaded but when I jack up one side of the car the sway bar keeps the spring completely tight. And I'm running without spring pads.

When replacing the suspension at that time I did find that my original spring hats were deformed. The tops were mushroomed as if the suspension had been over compressed at some point, so I replaced them. I don't remember if there were other factors that could have contributed to the gap, but the deformed hats certainly didn't help. Maybe worth a look.

Comment

• I don't think they are engraved but ordered new from Turner so should be correct. I'll take the strut back apart this week to measure and double check p/n.

I've ordered the thicker 9mm spring pads x4 to use top and bottom (it's a street car so ride height is handy) - interesting to know about the spring hats, pretty sure mine are OK/fairly new, but it's good to know that if one wheel is on the ground then it's captive. Just neen to avoid dukes of hazzard style driving in that case.

Turner confirmed that's about the right size gap we should be good. Appreciate the help.
                                JUNGL3

Comment

Working...
                                X