X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Originally posted by kevnj View Post
    Can someone measure the J stock springs Front and Rear? Curios what length they are when they are not under load....
    Front is 8"
    Rear is 7"

FRONT:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.0 KB ID:	1281030

REAR:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	1281031

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rear2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	1281032

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    replied
    Originally posted by mlytle View Post
    See you at Summit!
    it is going to be a little warm...100deg...

Instructor group #122
    Red 2002 with S14.
    Awesome, Iím running pit-out so Iíll have to make sure and get out so we can run a session or two together.

Love your car, have seen you run before. Iím driving a Non M Orange E30.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    I'll be there as well! Marshall I just heard you were going.
    Silver E30M3 (also with S14 LOL)
    Instructor Group #130

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied
    See you at Summit!
    it is going to be a little warm...100deg...

Instructor group #122
    Red 2002 with S14.

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    replied
    Update on the Ground Control J Stock Replica project.

RE suspension is awesome to work with. They rebuilt and re-valved my Billy Sport dampeners and turned them back to me in a few days, very good service. I ended up going with a 6 inch, 700lb spring up front and 1000, 5 inch in the rear. This has increased my ride height by almost an inch and my adjusters are pretty much maxed out. Now evaluating getting shorter springs.

Can someone measure the J stock springs Front and Rear? Curios what length they are when they are not under load....

Will be running my car at Summit Point this weekend, going to put some zip ties on the dampers and springs to see how much compression I'm getting and if coil bind is an issue with these high rates.

Leave a comment:

• redneckvtek
    replied
    Originally posted by irdave View Post
    RE Suspension, as in Roehrig Engineering? Yeah, probably fine to send your stuff there. PSI out in Sonoma is for sure legit; so is Roehrig.
    Not exactly, but Roehrig engineering is mentioned on their "About us" blurb.

https://www.resuspension.com/

Per RE, another good option is the AK1198 shock, which is designed for 4cyl mini-stocks. Its about $160 with any valving desired, has a 10mm shaft, a 5/8 lower hole (close enough to 12mm), and is slightly shorter than the B8/Econolines. I think that is what I am going with, just debating what rates to go with now based on my car's weight and balance.

Leave a comment:

• redneckvtek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant's m3 View Post

So in short so far it is possible to send in B8 Front and rear dampers (i know non inverted rears but what are our choices) to RE Suspenion and get them revalved for these springs?

Only if you have and older set of B8 rear dampers. You will need to confirm that they are serviceable (look for a lack of "crimp" marks on the body, as showin in the picture posted previously in this thread)

I am not sure on the front, I believe those are still serviceable. I ended up buying the pre-valved 300/175 J-stock dampers from Turner.

Leave a comment:

• irdave
    replied
    RE Suspension, as in Roehrig Engineering? Yeah, probably fine to send your stuff there. PSI out in Sonoma is for sure legit; so is Roehrig.

Leave a comment:

• Ant's m3
    replied
    For sure those are viable options, however in my case I have a set of brand new B8 fronts sitting in the box and was thinking I could send in my current rear set as well. I will have to confirm on that $75 ea price. RE suspensions are pretty well known here on the east coast

:thumbsup: on your quick response!

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant's m3 View Post

So in short so far it is possible to send in B8 Front and rear dampers (i know non inverted rears but what are our choices) to RE Suspenion and get them revalved for these springs?
    Make sure you calculate the complete price for a set of revalved dampers (i.e. acquisition costs + revalve costs). As I mentioned in previous threads, I priced it out and concluded that it was better to go with the already modified fronts from Turner (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ront-bilstein/) and the Group N Motorsport Bilstein rears from Bilstein UK (https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/24-000642). If you want the front Group N Motorsport damper (300/300 valving) that is also available from Bilstein UK (https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/34-046296).

If RESuspensions can revalve for $75 each - that's a bargain. I think that's underpriced. PSI out of Sonoma quoted me $250 each for the front struts and $200 each for the rears (standard B8 dampers). Perhaps they are on the high end, but they are the go-to place for many race teams.

Leave a comment:

• Ant's m3
    replied
    Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

RE Suspension wanted $75 each, for a total shock price of $175. Once they received the shocks, they became aware they were physically not able to be disassembled without destroying the body.

Yes, I have gotten up with Eric, but we have not been able to speak by phone yet, although I hope to follow up today. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ant's m3
    replied
    Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

So true. As great as the E30 M3 is, you can't beat horsepower. I've experienced this first hand on the track. At PIR where I run I can keep up with the likes of a M2 in the corners, but once the straights arrive the M2 is gone. No way 192HP is going to stay with 365HP (or more). Granted I am out there to enjoy my car and not race anyone, but point-bys lap after lap gets old after a while.
    For sure! I've been lucky to have at least have a couple e30's (M20) , S2000's, BRZ's to keep me busy on some friendly cat & mouse. Also have a buddy with a 635csi euro that usaully comes out.

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
    . . . the money is better spent on tires/brakes for the M2 than an 4-8k suspension on the M3.
    So true. As great as the E30 M3 is, you can't beat horsepower. I've experienced this first hand on the track. At PIR where I run I can keep up with the likes of a M2 in the corners, but once the straights arrive the M2 is gone. No way 192HP is going to stay with 365HP (or more). Granted I am out there to enjoy my car and not race anyone, but point-bys lap after lap gets old after a while.

Leave a comment:

• proctor750
    replied
    Originally posted by irdave View Post
    I'm curious. Is the reason for dealing with basic shocks cost? Race class restrictions? I mean, damper technology has come a long way since the 80's. There's a lot more to it than just peak damping forces.

I think there were/are restrictions in some classes where the damper can't be externally adjustable, but for everyone else... Is there too much adjustability? Just looking for plug and play?
    Both.

The race car we run we built to spec E30 class rules to maximize an already dwindling set of potential series we can run it in. We will probably run Champ, WRL and AER until we find what fits best. In the event we want a sprint race we can make very minor changes to run with the Spec guys OR bmwclub racing. It's just a way to maximize all possible classes we could run in with 1 car.

As for the M3 - it's not a "race" car and therefore doesn't need a race suspension. The J-stock's bring it up to a slightly more modern compliance without hacking up the strut housing which are not exactly the cheapest or easiest to find (other than the new set markus has for sale at the moment). Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of MCS and my co-driver/builder has about an 8k MCS setup on his e30 with built S50. Some of the chassis reinforcements he fabricated are incredible on that car as well. So it's all about compromise.

I also drive an M2 competition which I plan to track as much or more than the M3 and.. let's face it - the money is better spent on tires/brakes for the M2 than an 4-8k suspension on the M3..

My .02 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• irdave
    replied
    And to add something helpful, the Konis from GC that I'm riding on now are really pretty nice, even compared to the Ohlins and MCS, especially for the money. And they're adjustable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X