J STOCK springs are BACK!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uber Wagon View Post

Answering my own question: Just spoke to Turner and they took them off the site until they get a firmer lead time from H&R. Sounds like early next year.
    My order shows a ship date of Jan 28th.. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
      So just to confirm . . . the Bilstein B8's out of the box are valved for the J Stock springs, or do they need to be revalved to be compatible with the J Stocks?

I am asking because 1) I am slightly confused on this issue, and 2) looks like both the J Stock springs and the B8's are available on the TMS web site.
      B8's are not valved for Jstocks out of the box.
      If I understand correctly they are "underdamped"

You would need to send your brand new B8's off to Bilstein in CA and pay $600 for them to adjust them to J-Stock specs.

As of today, J-stock shocks are listed on TMS website for $659 with a ship date of Dec 10 2018. Is this true?

Comment

I'm still in for just springs.

Comment

I have a set of J-Stock springs that I would be willing to part with.
          2001 AG M5 -- DD
          1991 AlpinaWeiss 318IS (S54 Swapped) -- Weekend warrior
          1988 Zinno M3 (2.5L S14) -- Undergoing light restoration

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

B8's are not valved for Jstocks out of the box.
            If I understand correctly they are "underdamped"

You would need to send your brand new B8's off to Bilstein in CA and pay $600 for them to adjust them to J-Stock specs.

As of today, J-stock shocks are listed on TMS website for $659 with a ship date of Dec 10 2018. Is this true?
            Thanks - I looked at the TMS web site. According to the description, it's more than just revalving. Both front and rear dampers are shortened and the rear shocks are modified to run in an inverted position. When combined with the J-Stock springs I can see why this is a great track / race setup.

Comment

Would this set be a good use for a weekend car? If I'm only going to autoX maybe once or twice a year for fun and mostly for light weekend driving, it doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. If it's comfortable to run without the revalve, I could understand using them. I'm not questioning if it's a solid performer for high performance driving, but rather casual driving with slight spirited driving every once in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by kumquatism View Post
                Would this set be a good use for a weekend car? If I'm only going to autoX maybe once or twice a year for fun and mostly for light weekend driving, it doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. If it's comfortable to run without the revalve, I could understand using them. I'm not questioning if it's a solid performer for high performance driving, but rather casual driving with slight spirited driving every once in awhile.
                These springs are great as a daily driver. I've been using them for 3 years now. The spring rate is high enough that without a revalve, it will be bouncy. The springs are awesome for autoX, but without having enough damping, the ride is like you have no dampers.

Will
                '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by kumquatism View Post
                  I think the answer is somewhat subjective and relative to (your) age, condition of your local roads, other modifications, etc. The J-Stock springs as manufactured by Eibach are progressive springs with rates in the front up to 680lbs and the rear up to 1026lbs. The progressive nature of the springs will give you a more compliant ride until the spring reaches its maximum deflection rate. That said the J-Stock springs are going to be super stiff, especially if you are currently on OEM springs.

I have a Ground Control coilover setup (with the modified front struts) on my M3 with 550lb front and 750lb rear Eibach springs (linear rate). These springs are paired with revalved (and shortened) SA Konis. Even with the Konis at their softest adjustment setting my ride is firm on the street and somewhat sharp over certain road irregularities. On the track however it is another story; supremely planted, minimal roll, very predictable. Granted this is not an apples-to-apples comparison to a J-Stock / Bilstein setup, but given my results I can only imagine how competent the J-Stock / Bilstein setup would be on the track.

If you go the J-Stock route, you will definitely need to get the shortened and revalved Bilsteins. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, your ride will suffer and you will hate your car. Trust me, your dampers must be valved to your spring rates to maximize overall performance and compliance. There is nothing worse than a suspension setup with mismatched springs and dampers. Even if you didn't want to revalve, the J-Stock springs are 1.5" and 1.25" shorter (front and rear) than stock and will eventually blow out standard length dampers as you will run out of damper travel.

If this is the direction you want to go, save your money and do it right with the proper dampers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_hod-2472.jpg Views:	1 Size:	210.9 KB ID:	1275479

Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_hod-2986.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	1275480

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_hod-3057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1275481

Comment

The J-Stock springs as manufactured by Eibach
                    CORRECTION - J-Stock springs are manufactured by H&R. My apologies for the error.

Comment

Looks like the J-Stock springs are available again. (12/6/2018). Merry Christmas.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...pring-set-e30/

E30 J-Stock Bilstein Race Shock Set looks to be shipping on 12/31/2018.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, ordered! (P.S. Just spoke to Turner and realistic ship date is probably closer to Jan/Feb for shocks.)

Comment

Originally posted by Uber Wagon View Post
                          Thanks for the heads up, ordered! (P.S. Just spoke to Turner and realistic ship date is probably closer to Jan/Feb for shocks.)
                          Placed my order (springs and dampers) as well. Combining these with ST (22 / 19) sway bars. Should be a great track day combination.

Comment

Placed my order (springs and dampers) as well. Combining these with ST (22 / 19) sway bars. Should be a great track day combination.
                            Minor detail - Now just need to find some OEM front struts . . . . anyone?

Comment

Just got off the phone with Matt from Turner. He definitely confirmed that NEITHER THE SPRINGS OR THE DAMPERS ARE AVAILABLE ANY LONGER AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ANYTIME IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. Bilstein is no longer making the modified dampers and H&R wants a large commitment (didn't say how large) to make it financially viable. Matt indicated any shipping ETA per the web site is incorrect.

Total bummer. Really hoping this was going to work out. Wish these vendors would take better care to keep their web sites updated with current information.

Comment

Working...
                              X