J STOCK springs are BACK!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by proctor750 View Post

I didn't think to ask that - I will definitely ask next time I talk to him. Hopefully he got a bit more than that as I'm sure more demand may trickle in. I'm half tempted to get 2 sets as a friend of mine has his car sitting in a buddy's shop slowly being rebuilt.
    Thanks!

I'm in a similar frame of mind on getting 2 sets...

Comment

If anyone is interested in a complete JS setup, I may be selling one soon! Springs, shocks, bars. If anyone is interested, PM me.

The Gr-N Setup I had is SOLD!
      Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
      • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
      • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
      • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
      • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
      • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
      • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
      • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
      • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
      • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
        If anyone is interested in a complete JS setup, I may be selling one soon! Springs, shocks, bars. If anyone is interested, PM me.
        PM Sent.

1990 M3

Comment

A little side note - Bilstein is about to jack the price of the b8's by around 20% by the end of this month. So anyone trying to get a set to go with the springs... might want to jump on it or hit up markus

Comment

A little side note - Bilstein is about to jack the price of the b8's by around 20% by the end of this month. So anyone trying to get a set to go with the springs... might want to jump on it or hit up markus

Who is Markus?

Comment

If you revalue the fronts to 300/300 or 300/200 and cut the bump stop they would be great… and revalve rears to 200/200"

as someone who isn't a shock expert, what units are those? Will a rebuild-company know what to make of those numbers and how to execute it?

Do we need to cut the external bump-stock in half or the internal one?

Thanks for your updates on this deal.
              -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

Who is Markus?
                He is on page 2 of this thread mentioning he has a few sets for sale.

internal bump stop

As for valving I believe the numbers vary in meaning depending on manufacturer. Bilstein is by Newton force iirc so 300/200 = 3000/2000 newtons and would require a shim range between xN-xN
                That's my very limited understanding but I am sure someone else here is well learned in it.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post

as someone who isn't a shock expert, what units are those?
                  For Bilsteins, the numbers represent DN (Decanewtons) at 0.52 m/s, rebound first and compression second.
                  1990 M3

Comment

Checked in with Will again, he said he emailed last week and the response was "on the water" which really means "just finished making them". So it sounds like there are just delays which is not surprising with a low volume batch imo but anyway it's just a waiting game now (or still)

Comment

• I've been doing some further research on the damper situation since Bilstein isn't making the J-Stock specific setup anymore. With a little work it still can be replicated down to the inverted rears. The original front J-Stock strut inserts were listed as part number P36-0335JS. As you know this strut is still being manufactured as the B8 Performance Plus insert (34-003350). AFAIK only the valving and internal bump stop is changed on the J-Stock strut. These changes can be applied to the current B8 Performance plus insert.

Side note: Last I checked with them ECS has about 5 original J-Stock front struts available. While they don't show up on their web site, they do show up on their ebay listing Here I contacted them (via ebay) on 1/30/2019 and they indicated they had a few available. YMMV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	1277364

Moving on to the rears, as with the front strut insert, you can still buy the inverted rear shock. Interestingly enough the shock's origins are from a truck chassis (Ford E100/150 Econoline van of all things). The Bilstein part number is 33-017204. This translates to B46-1720-H0 (now superseded with B46-1720-H1). Don't believe me? Take a look at this original set of rear Bilstein / Turner J-Stock shocks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	24.0 KB ID:	1277365

Buy these rear shocks (33-017204) and get them re-valved, combine them with the modified B8 struts inserts and you'll have yourself, as close as possible, a set of J-Stock dampers. So I am sure some of you are thinking "Why not just use the rear B8 Perfornace Plus shock?" Based on my research (Bilstein publishes a spreadsheet of dimensions for their dampers), the rear B8 Performance Plus shock is 4.35" longer than the B46-1720-H1 which I believe will cause issues with the shorter J-Stock springs.

Now you still need to get the strut inserts and rear shocks re-valved. Based on Bilstein's published prices as well as a couple of shops I called (PSi out of Sonoma, CA was one of them), this may cost as much (or more) as the dampers themselves, so I am not sure if this whole project is cost effective, however it is definitely do-able and shows there is an alternative to the NLA original Bilstein J-Stock dampers.

As with any research, all this represents my best (and admittedly limited) understanding of the history of the original Bilstein J-Stock dampers. I am open to correction, criticism, or other commentary that will improve my knowledge as well the knowledge of others who are interested in this subject matter.
                      1990 M3

Comment

• Thats a great bit of detective work there. Great post.
                        jimmy p.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

• Yeah, nice detective work. I wonder though if the rear shock from the van is shortened and not just revalved.

Comment

• Originally posted by ttw18 View Post
                            Yeah, nice detective work. I wonder though if the rear shock from the van is shortened and not just revalved.
                            The rear Bilstein shock (B46-1720-H0) was never shortened AFAIK, however it was revalved to work with the 1026lb J-Stock rear springs.
                            1990 M3

Comment

• Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
                              Checked in with Will again, he said he emailed last week and the response was "on the water" which really means "just finished making them". So it sounds like there are just delays which is not surprising with a low volume batch imo but anyway it's just a waiting game now (or still)
                              Anyway I can check if I made the cut on the wait list?

Thanks!

Comment

• Here is an update on the Bilstein damper situation. As I mentioned in post #100, you can still get the front J-Stock strut insert from ECS. I ordered a set and they came last week. at $203 per insert it was less expensive than buying a set of B8 and having them revalved (cheapest place I found to revalve wanted $200 per shock). As for the rears I ordered a set of Bilstein 24-000642 from Bilstein UK. These are the Group N Motorsport versions with the 200/200 valving. At $271 each including FedEx International shipping they were still cheaper than buying the B46-1720-H0 shocks and having them revalved.

Now I just need Will to come through on the springs . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_121328_resized.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1277627

Name:	20190302_121030_resized.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1277628

Name:	20190302_121047_resized.jpg