Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proctor750
    commented on 's reply
    PM Yahweh, he may still be in for a set if only for the rears...

• mlytle
    replied
    I am gonna guess that was part in the problem. The Billy DAMPER was too long for spring allowing inside rear wheel to move uncontrolled.

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    replied
    Mlytle the Koni DAMPENERS, 8041 1289SPGC are ~ 1 inch shorter than the Billsteins. I didn't get a chance to drive the dampeners in dampening conditions .

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied
    Originally posted by kevnj View Post
    Quick update. I have since installed Koni "Race" SA's from Ground Control and the dampening is perfect. Gonna get the Bilstein Sports re-valved properly to J-Stock specs and sell them if anyone is interested.
    was the extended length of the koni the same as the billy?

ps - it is "damping" not "dampening"....unless you mean you were getting them wet driving through puddles....

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    replied
    Quick update. I have since installed Koni "Race" SA's from Ground Control and the dampening is perfect. Gonna get the Bilstein Sports re-valved properly to J-Stock specs and sell them if anyone is interested.

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Originally posted by Yahweh View Post
    What about the B46-1720 in b8 from?
    Does Bilstein make such a version? Looks like it is a B6 variant. Assuming the length is the same as the B46-1720, the 33-187563 would still need to be revalved, unless it has the crimped housing.

Regarding the "period correct" thing, if you look in the BMW Motorsport Gruppe N catalog for the E30 M3 you will find the Bilstein 24-000642 (BMW part number is 33 52 2 222 588) so it is very period correct. Plus your 33-187563 would not be period correct in any event.

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh
    replied
    What about the B46-1720 in b8 from?

IE
    F4-BE5-H341-H0 or 33-187563

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh
    commented on 's reply
    Hoping to keep inverted per a nice "period" correct Kit.

Small differences add up.

E350 with Quigley 4x4 used to run the B46-1720 damper re valved up front until the same issue. Looks like now people run FOX shocks..

GC does have an inverted koni, unless you have a P/N... GC wont sell it individually, as described its for their true coil over rear "kit"
    Maybe the inverted koni is a monotube and would match the front better..

The 24-000642 Group N sounds like the only entry level bilstein option, and also not the 200/125 valving. Which optimally makes this a great package.
    Unfortunately doesn't check the inverted box, which is optional....

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Originally posted by Yahweh View Post
    Inverted Shorten'd Koni?

Maybe the substitute for the rear Bilstein.

I have a set of the Jstock Bilstein fronts from turners recent mystery set, Looking for Inverted rears to match..
    No inverted and shortened Koni that I am aware of. IMO the inverted rear shock is overrated for street or light track. Even if you are a serious racer I'd doubt you could tell the difference between an inverted rear and a non-inverted rear. The unsprung weight loss is minimal.

Assuming you are using the J-Stock springs, I would get the Bilstein Motorsports rears (24-000642). They are correct for that spring length. The valving is 200/200. The rear J-Stock rear springs are 7" long. If you are using a shorter spring than that just go with the Ground Control Konis. They have a shorter overall length and are intended to be used with a shorter spring.

If you must have an inverted rear, find an early set of the Bilstein B46-1720 with an H0 suffix. These shock housings are not crimped. The most current production B46-1720 shocks have a crimped housing and cannot be revalved. See post #308.

Leave a comment:

• Yahweh
    replied
    Inverted Shorten'd Koni?

Maybe the substitute for the rear Bilstein.

I have a set of the Jstock Bilstein fronts from turners recent mystery set, Looking for Inverted rears to match..

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info, will report back with the results.

• mwagner10702
    replied
    Ken -

If you are going to get the GC front Konis ask them if they can revalve the rears (8041-1289spgc) to work with 1000lb springs and get a set of their rear bump stops. The Konis they use are shorter in overall length which will work with a 5" spring (I have their rear Konis). I wouldn't use an extended RSM.

If you move from the Bilsteins to the front Koni inserts you'll need a new pair of strut housing caps. Use part number 31 32 1 117 376.

Leave a comment:

• kevnj
    replied
    Cool enduro car. I own a M3 as well and have built the non-m to be the track toy. In the shadows there's still a bunch of people on S14.net who actively track there cars. There's a WEALTH of knowledge to be shared. I'm going to get the Bilstein dampeners re-valved to proper J-Stock specs once I get dyno plots to ensure there are no more disconnects.

For the front inserts, I am now leaning towards doing the Koni SA's from GC as they are valved correctly for 700lb springs and allow me to get the ride height where I want it to be. For the rear I will either use the Bilsteins with an extended height rear shock mount or see if I can find something adjustable that can handle the 1K springs in the ~$250 a dampener price range.

Leave a comment:

• redneckvtek
    replied
    Originally posted by kevnj View Post

Sorry if my posts have annoyed anyone, just an enthusiast trying to learn and share my experiences with the community.
    I apprecieate your posting bud, as another non-M e30 owner intruding on s14.net in order to get some J-stocks in my life. Overall, this forum has been a massive help to my race team and my suspension knowledge.

I love your orange E30 - the ES front valence + plastic bumpers looks awesome.

Plus, my E30 is the same color Orange, and also has a 4v swap (m54b25)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARxEtGX.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1281215

Regarding the B6 struts - From what I understand from my bilstein contact, they are "taller" due to internal bump stop differences (when comparing RWD B6+B8). If needed, I can try and get more info for the front IX inserts.

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    IIRC the iX inserts are 3" shorter. Unfortunately Bilstein only offers the B6 not the B8. Probably a difference in valving which you will be changing anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X