clutch pressure plate let go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch pressure plate let go

My pressure plate straps broke and now I have to have my bellhousing welded to repair all the damage it did.
    This was a Sachs 3082 005 336 pressure plate and it probably had about 5000 miles on it. Pretty irritated about this.
    What are the options here? I read about a 618 pressure plate but is this just more clamping force with the same failure-prone straps, or are they stronger?

I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money on a fancy clutch to avoid this issue. My car is primarily street. It's 2.5L 284/276 and an evo flywheel.

All of the Sachs "type" clutches are based on straps.
    The only way to get away from straps is to go to an aluminum hat, lug drive clutch.
    That said, I have used strap type clutches on my street cars and my race car for a long time (over 20 years) with never a strap failure.

The straps usually fail from overloading in the decel mode (compression), it is usually very hard to break them under accell (tension) unless they have already been kinked by excess decel loading.
    The 618 clutch is (i believe) heavier duty all around including the straps. I have nothing technical to base that on, but I was always told that.

The Clutchmasters upgraded hats do come with various levels of thicker heavier duty straps. I have one in my parts room I think its their stage 3 level(?) and when I compared it to a 618 the straps looked heavier to me. I bought it a long time ago and used it for a very short time before switching to a lug drive setup.

What were you doing when it broke?

Are you a smooth downshifter?

jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thanks for adding your experience, Jimmy.
      I have been experiencing some binding with my shifter linkage , where the knuckle joint was interfering with the carrier (with z3 shifter) , and have swapped various combinations in, and then walked away from the car for long periods. So I can't exactly say when/how the straps broke.
      I do try to rev-match my shifts, and am fairly proficient.

I did read on the clutchmasters site some language to the effect that they redesigned their p.p., whereas most companies just rework the Sachs pressure plate.

best,
      Colin

Comment

I had the same problem with my Sachs clutch. Fortunately it did not ruin my bell housing, but it had about 1000 miles on it when it happened and it was during a 3 to 4 upshift at high rpm on the street. It was replaced under a parts warranty and this replacement part has been in the car for about 15 years with no problems

Comment

Working...
        X