Trade an E30 M3 for an E28 M5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade an E30 M3 for an E28 M5?

So I bought my E30 M3 almost 12 years ago. I didnít have kids back then, and now I have a pair of Ďem. They really like riding in my old cars, and I feel like it would be a lot more practical to have a 4-door for them to be able to enjoy riding around in with me. So, not having ever owned an E28 before, what do you guys think? Would that be a decent trade? I was thinking that the cars might have similar character and therefore I might not miss my E30 M3 to the same extent if I had a decent replacement.......

How old are your kids? Might want to keep the M3 to fund their future college costs. I wish I had kept my 1970 911S for the same reason.

Comment

I hate to say it but on the street with kids you won't miss the E30 at all.

Comment

Personally I would not.......

They are similar in performance though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS4rSqRgrZ0

Comment

The US spec bumpers on the e28 ruin it for me. Would have to swap to euro bumpers.

Comment

Why not just buy a Prius and keep the M3?

Comment

NO! What happened to the E34?
              Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

They're both special cars, but the E30 will always be more unique. Suck it up and put em in the back seat.

I think youd regret the change down the line.

Comment

Yes the m5 is a 4door m3 itís also rarer ,higher top speed ,but but the m3 is sexxxyyy! And value wise the m3 is probably the way to go but I had my m3 when my kids were babies they are still in awe of my m3 and want me to keep it always
                  mike

Comment

The US spec bumpers ruin the car for me as well. The 535iS looks virtually identical minus the shadowline. Then there's also the fact that all were black on tan with a handful black on black. Great car to get when they were cheap though.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Yeah, I think the two cars are almost apples and oranges. I keep thinking the value of the E28M5 is going to skyrocket, but it hasn't happened yet. It seems like it is a much rarer car than even the E30M3, at least in the USA. I very rarely see them.

If you decide to do it, up to you, but keep in mind an E30M3 is worth a lot more than an E28M5 in equal condition. So trade accordingly.

Comment

I can see it to be honest. The e30m3 is really at home on the track. Thatís what it was made to do and really where it shines, when you are pushing it. Rarely does that happen on the street. The e28m5 was made for street duty.
                        After over 20 years of e30m3 ownership I can see the benefit of an E28m5 for street duty and e30m3 for the track. I often thought about buying one when the value was cratered.
                        I donít think itís a bad plan to be honest.
                        jimmy p.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

So Jimmy, would you give up your Zinno for an E28 M5?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                          89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
                          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I thought about that long and hard while writing the post.
                            I think at this juncture,,, its possible.
                            It would be very hard to part with it, mainly for sentimental reasons. It was my first m3.

The E28M5 would have to be the right car,,, not a tan interior, euro bumpers, etc, but,,, to give my stance some context,,, I raced this weekend,,, and it reaffirmed everything I believe, in that the E30M3 is made to be a track car.
                            When I actually drive my street car to where I feel like its living the life it was supposed to live, Im being tremendously irresponsible.
                            Now I really do try to find deserted country roads, and it is fun,,, and I do love the car, but its definitely not living up to its full potential as a street car.

In the past few years ("The Dark Years", basically since the EAG pox hit our cars) I have actually heavily analyzed the scenario if the fateful day ever came that I really wrote off my silver race car, what would I do.
                            The thought has very prominently played out that maybe the right thing to do is just convert the street car into a race car.
                            It would be like fulfilling its destiny.
                            I dont look at it like a 401K,,, it might be the move to make, unless I could sell it or trade it for an already built E30M3 race car of equal quality, then maybe two people win.
                            I will say,,, yep, at this point in how I look at E30M3s,,, it wouldnt be off the table.

For example,,, This:
                            https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m5-29/

or This: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m5-27/

Would tempt me heavily at this point.
                            Last edited by jimmy p.; 06-17-2018, 04:42 PM.
                            jimmy p.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                            X