ok to reuse flywheel bolts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok to reuse flywheel bolts?

Is it ok to reuse flywheel bolts? If so, is there a recommended thread sealant that comes on the factory bolts?

I always replace. Don't want to second guess anything when the engine is revving to 7k+.

Comment

I never reuse them. Flywheel bolts and connecting rod bolts are probably the two most critical and highly stressed fasteners on any car.

Comment

Got it, thanks guys!

Comment

Hi, Colin,
          Rod bolts are torqued past yield so should not be reused, but flywheel bolts are not torqued past yield so can be reused. However they don't cost much so it probably makes little difference.
          Larry

Comment

Also, for a stock 2.3L crank that is drilled through you have to use Loctite 270 to prevent leaks. If using an Evo crank with blind holes this isn't needed.

-chris
            1988 M3
            2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

I may sound like a hack, but am still using the stock flywheel bolts in all my cars where the flywheel allows it to be.
              Never had a failure
              They do not torque past yield.

I believe Don Fields re-uses S14 head bolts forever unless customer specifies fancy aftermarket head bolts.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

In process of rebuild last year I researched this and recall that replacement was factory specification for stock flywheel and bolts. They are not cheap at about 100$ for set of them now. Either way they do need loctite.
                And if you do replace, make sure to get right length. There are two different lengths out there. I run the JB Racing LW flywheel so use their bolts which are different and meant to be re-used. My only thought is that this location is a real MFer to get to if you have to change something...
                Good luck with your project.
                John
                88M3 henna

73T100C
                97 540\6-Gone
                2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

I've re used my flywheel bolts many times and never had an issue in 18 years.

Comment

Same here reused flywheel bolts.
                    Factory repair manuals will almost always write that new fasteners are required just to make sure that a repair will not be flawed due to damaged fasteners.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. I ended up ordering a new set from the dealer. As noted they were about $8 a piece. Interestingly, The new bolts did not come with sealant on the threads, which surprised me.

Since I have the 2.5L crank it appears that I do not need sealant according to Christsay's post.

Comment

Make sure you have the right length bolts. As I recall bolts for 2.3 and 2.5 cranks are different length.
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

That's another thing I'm unsure of. I looked up the Evo3 in the part catalog and it showed the use of the 11 22 0 616 143 (22mm, shorter bolts), so that's what I ordered. I removed the old bolts and I saw they were of the longer variety 11 22 7 805 885 (28mm). In my case these longer bolts had been used with the metal "shim" disc.

I am thinking that the disc can be eliminated for use with the shorter bolts. The Koala repair manual mentioned the metal disc "if it is fitted" so it appears that it was not always used?

Comment

Working...
                          X