Asahi Kiko Engine Back in the Car- Ready for Portland & Monterey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Kiko Engine Back in the Car- Ready for Portland & Monterey

You may remember that at the spring HMSA event my M3 was pushing a bit of water during each run. Jim and Terry looked at all the usual suspects but came up with no reason for the problem. So we decided to be safe rather than sorry and pulled the engine and sent it down to Terry Tinney.

What Tinney found was the head gasket was a bit too thin and the pistons were just touching the head causing enough vibration to allow combustion pressure to leak into the cooling system and push out the water. It wasn't so severe that it was big problem, but it certainly could have lead to more expensive problems.

Tinney turned the motor around in record time, and last Friday Jim had it back in the car and running. The car will be going over to VRM this week to get on to their dyno for a quick break-in run.

We will be running the car at the SVRA Portland race at the end of July, then on to Monterey!

Hope to see you at either of these events:

https://youtu.be/3Jq5GbwrffE
    1976 Luigi BMW CSL
    1991 Asahi Kiko E30 M3
    1970 Koepchen 2002
    1968 Hyde Park 2002TA
    1965 TiSA #193
    1960 700 Vintage Racer
    1965 1800Ti Vintage Racer
    1971 NSU 1200 TTS
    www.msportvintage.com

Nice progress! I look forward to seeing you run again at Laguna Seca in August.
    1988 DS
    1988 Lachs
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I look forward to seeing the car at Monterey next month. I'll be there supporting once of the Datsun Roadsters that is racing. Hopefully I won't be too busy to come say hi.

Will
      '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
      '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        I look forward to seeing the car at Monterey next month. I'll be there supporting once of the Datsun Roadsters that is racing. Hopefully I won't be too busy to come say hi.

Will
        Hi Will,

Look for the Racecraft truck. They usually put us in the 1st or 2nd row. I'll also be racing my Luigi CSL on Saturday in Group 5A. The M3 will be in Group 7B on Sunday along with the GTP and GTO cars. YIKES!
        1976 Luigi BMW CSL
        1991 Asahi Kiko E30 M3
        1970 Koepchen 2002
        1968 Hyde Park 2002TA
        1965 TiSA #193
        1960 700 Vintage Racer
        1971 NSU 1200 TTS
        www.msportvintage.com

Comment

This is exactly what is happening with my car and only at the track. Curious how many hours the shop charged you for doing this.
          Dan

88 M3
          Black on Black

San Diego, CA
          USA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveWalker View Post

Hi Will,

Look for the Racecraft truck. They usually put us in the 1st or 2nd row. I'll also be racing my Luigi CSL on Saturday in Group 5A. The M3 will be in Group 7B on Sunday along with the GTP and GTO cars. YIKES!
            I just got bumped from wrench/photographer to driver. I'll be in this car in group 3B
            Click image for larger version

Name:	37230972_10217664927361539_3217874594350235648_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2e190f404fe2ab07a69c84060e7c98ff&oe=5BD642CC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1271628

I think I have some pics of your Luigi car.

Will
            '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
            '88 M3

Comment

Is this you? Click image for larger version

Name:	35571822894_cd6ff2df14_b.jpg
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1271630
              '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                Is this you? Click image for larger version

Name:	35571822894_cd6ff2df14_b.jpg
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1271630
                Yes it is. I'll be running Luigi in Group 5a, and Asahi Kiko car in 7B.

Glad to hear you'll be in Monterey, even if it's in a Datsun! ;-))

1976 Luigi BMW CSL
                1991 Asahi Kiko E30 M3
                1970 Koepchen 2002
                1968 Hyde Park 2002TA
                1965 TiSA #193
                1960 700 Vintage Racer
                1971 NSU 1200 TTS
                www.msportvintage.com

Comment

My god you guys....such cool toys...jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                    My god you guys....such cool toys...jealous.
                    My personal Datsun is faster than the one I'll be racing. It just doesn't have any racing history (It was a street car when I bought it 18 years ago)

I'm pretty excited for this. Its the first time and likely the last time that this many Datsun roadster race cars have been in one place at the same time since the '70s. There will be 14 that I know of in attendance. At least 3 of them with National Championship titles.

I really like Luigi, it's got a fantastic on track presence. I have a bunch h of shots of it. I'll do my best to get some pics of both the cars (I might be wrenching on the Datsun more than shooting the car because its totally untested as of now.)

Will
                    '88 M3

Comment

Looks like I got a snap of your Luigi car through Turn 9 last year:

1988 DS
                      1988 Lachs
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Vintage car racing has become so popular, the cars with genuine race history have become extremely valuable. I know with the Monterey Historics at least, the car absolutely has to have genuine race history from back in the day to participate, correct? I wish I could have foreseen this, as it wasn't that long ago that vintage racing cars from the '70s and '80s had very little value. I could have afforded one at that time, now no way in hell. I remember reading that the former David Hobbs BMW 320i turbo (a very iconic late '70s IMSA racecar) sold several years ago for more than a half million dollars. And it wasn't restored or anything....just in slightly rough "time capsule" condition.

Of course....my first choice would be a Porsche 935, but so far out of my league....not just to buy....but to keep running it I did own one.

Comment

I think it depends on the car. If you have a car that looks good and isn't often seen racing, but the type does have an important place in racing history, I'd day you have 50:50 odds of it being accepted. I know for a fact that one of the Datsun roadsters racing next month was a street car that was converted to a race car about 10 years ago. There is very little vintage about it. It has modern brakes, carbon fiber fenders, ect. Its painted as a tribute car to a well known Datsun driver from the 70s and 80s. (Jim Fitzgerald). I both love and hate the car at the same time. Its a great looking car, but its a total cheater car.

The car I'll be driving is for sale. The owner wants a big chunk of $ for it, but to the right person it might be worth it. There are still a lot of Datsun roadsters with history going back to the 60s and 70s that are still out there, they just need to be found and restored. A friend of mine has several.

Will
                          '88 M3

Comment

There are so many great vintage racing organizations to participate in. I started vintage racing my m3 this year, it only has SCCA history from the previous owner. Itís been a lot of fun with a great group of people so far. Iíve had some really fun races I donít get in my non vintage regional organization. Prepare the car in a period correct manner and make it look the part and go have a blast. Monterey historics are awesome, but if you just want to race in vintage there are many options

Comment

I'm planning to pick up a DTM M4 after this season so I can race it in 30 years.

1988 DS
                              1988 Lachs
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X