Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 M3 - so close to transcendence (an article)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 - so close to transcendence (an article)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...transcendence/

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nice little article for sure but I don't get why people keep dogging the S14 when it was brilliant for it's time even in neutered US spec 192HP form. It would take Honda another 10 years to get 200HP out of 1.8 liters and that's with newer tech like VTEC running MAP/TPS vs the barndoor AFM our cars had. My guess is that fewer and fewer of these journalists will ever drive a 250-300+HP S14 powered car as those tend to be fully modified vs the stock lower mileage garage queens they tend to pick for these articles. Also, I don't buy this talk about the E46 M3 taking off in value. There's just way too many of them. As a buyer, why would I pay 20K + for an E36/E46 M3 when there are several under 10k? and E92 M3 prices have dropped below 20k? I just don't see it unless it's a special model like the CSL or LTW. Before someone says the ones under 10K are all salvage titled SMG convertibles...nope. I've found a few MT coupes as well.
      Last edited by Reelizmpro; 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

They try to hold a 30 year old car to modern standards, and modern cars are so dang fast in terms of straight line acceleration.

Comment

Yes, as usual,,, they just dont get it.
          The fix to everyones woes is just more horsepower, more torque. Never a word in there about driving with momentum, the way to fix my inadequate driving is I need more power.
          Fucking moron if he ever actually drove the 300 HP version he thinks he wishes it had, he'd have no idea how to get to the power let alone stay in the power.
          The driving experience is so similar,,, its just,,, faster LOL.
          Last edited by jimmy p.; 07-13-2018, 02:20 AM.
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Everything on the street now is just so powerful, that it'll always be a gripe of journalists about the S14. But it's going to apply to every other car of that era....even Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes.....so its not an E30 M3 thing.

Further, with everything now having a turbo attached, the power delivery makes newer cars just FEEL faster. Just wait until 2035 when everything is electric and runs 3 second 0-60.....the reviews on gasoline cars of the past will be "beautiful dynamics, looks and personality....just wish the engine was smoother, delivered torque faster and didn't shift gears".

Also, i see clean < 100K mile E46 M3s holding their value in the near term....maybe a trickle upward over time. A good buy for someone that wants an M3 with all around performance and great looks. I have a few historical anti-BMW friends now interested in picking one up.

Comment

Quote from article: 'Surprisingly, itís Roscheís motor that is the only disappointment.' LOL Maybe a little off-target bad press will help keep prices somewhat attainable for those who know what it is. Also $34k in 1988 adjusts to about $72k now so while E30s aren't cheap anymore it could be worse.

Comment

I don't find it lacking in power when I'm driving in the twisters. A momentum car does not need high horsepower to be fast. This car is so good as it is in the twisters that I've not found a faster rival among the ferrari, lambos or gt3s .wouldn't change a thing, except for the power robbing ac .

Comment

Writing about how a car built for handling isn't fast in a straight line...... I've changed more than a few peoples minds about the s14 by giving them a ride.

Comment

Our cars are 30 years old, so ahead of their time. I own a bunch of BMWs. The e30 M3 is the best driver car of all of them. Even my wife says take the e30 when we go for a drive. Amazing request since my AC is disconnected...

Comment

That author didnít get it right this car was winning races years and years after production stopped ,of course its slow its needs to rev. It seems this guy only knows muscle or modern cars this car is a dancer. even today it still has passion related to it

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                        Yes, as usual,,, they just dont get it.
                        The fix to everyones woes is just more horsepower, more torque. Never a word in there about driving with momentum, the way to fix my inadequate driving is I need more power.
                        Fucking moron if he ever actually drove the 300 HP version he thinks he wishes it had, he'd have no idea how to get to the power let alone stay in the power.
                        The driving experience is so similar,,, its just,,, faster LOL.

+1

Comment

My friends with their Honda S2000s with 2L and 250hp are considering superchargers or turbos because their Mom's Honda Accords can beat them on a traffic light grand prix. On the other hand, a friend has a Dodge Demon with a million horsepower and took it to the local drag strip only to be beaten by a Tesla.

Why are we fixated with HP and instant acceleration?

I remember when....

Comment

Originally posted by jwbavalon View Post
                            Why are we fixated with HP and instant acceleration?
                            "We" aren't,,, only the unenlightend masses who think torque fixes all their bad driving LOL (see also the swap craze of E30M3s because no torques man)

The ones who think the only thing that makes a car great is a good 0-60.

"We" know better...

jimmy p.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

As someone eluded to above, the E30M3 really only feels "slow" when driven on the street. It is just not a very good street car IMHO. Until the revs are >5K, it feels heavy and under-powered.

On the track, totally different story. The moderate power forces you to focus on not making mistakes, but it still pulls pretty respectably at higher RPM...particularly with a built 2.5 motor.

But the aspect of the car that people who have never driven one do not get, is how utterly confidence inspiring the handling is. You can drive it right up to its limits without fear of the car doing something unexpected and biting you on the ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X