Center support bearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center support bearing

I just had the center support bearing fail, on my '87 M3. It was the original with about 235k miles on the driveshaft. The bearing is still good but the rubber holding it to the mount is shredded and the bearing was thumping against the holder when starting in low gear. I also found that the difference between the early center support bearings and the later ones is the spacing of the two bolts holding it to the body. The early supports have the two mounting holes farther apart than the later ones. I can't see any other differences. It's probably the air pollution here in CA that caused the rubber to fail 'prematurely'. Maybe the rubber made now is better.
    Larry

Prematurely? 235k is phenomenal for the original driveshaft and CSB. Did you install only a new CSB or entire driveshaft?
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 07-13-2018, 07:46 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Hi, Reelizmpro,
      I'm replacing only the center bearing. The u joints are still tight and look OK, and the spline at the center is also. I'll see if it's going to be good for another 235K miles. The guibo is going to be replaced also.
      Larry

Comment

At that mileage you should replace the entire driveshaft because once the U joints start going out, they will ruin the CSB. Then you'll have to do the entire job over again.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Tight U joints aren't a good thing. Smooth yet free moving ones are what you want. I ran into this on my car. The U joints were tight, the one at the differential was smooth and free moving, the one closest to the CSB was tight, but not so free moving. I was destroying CSBs in a week. I finally replaced the driveshaft with a rebuilt one and no more issues.

Will
          '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
          '88 M3

Comment

Working...
          X