Battery/alternator/starter issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery/alternator/starter issue

Ive always battery issues, from small items drawing power while the car isnít running. So I installed a switch to cut power to battery while he car isnít being driven. So stupid me, I left it connected and didnít drive it for 2 weeks. Battery dead...usually I can simply recharge and the car is good to go, but not this time.

So I got a new battery yesterday and voila the car starts just fine. I spent the day doing errands and driving the M3 around town. The car started fine each time.

But today, I get in and no go. I even disconnected the battery all last night. Itís weird, when I connect the battery, all the electric stuf works...radio, dash, etc. But the second I turn the key to try and start it, thereís a click and the battery goes ďdeadĒ

Anyone ever encounter a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

Verify that the battery is dead with a voltmeter. Voltage should be between 12.3-12.7. If the battery is good, then you have to troubleshoot the problem further. Check the starter wiring harness for loose or broken connections. While you are there, check the alternator ground cable. Also make sure it's not the quick disconnect switch on the battery. I've had an aftermarket ebay switch not grip the battery post tight enough causing intermittent power loss. I just deleted it altogether.
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 08-05-2018, 07:15 AM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Working...
    X