Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently Purchased

Hello every one,
    First time posting, hoping for guidance and help.
    I am a long time BMW fan and have always wanted the E30 M3.
    Well, recently I purchased a 1991 BMW M3 from a gentleman in Los Angeles CA, that had the car sitting in the garage for about 2 years. Before the purchase, took it to a reputable BMW shop and had it inspected, the tech mentioned that the car needed a lot of maintenance. So on the same day I drove it home ( 5 hour drive).
    First thing I did was valve adjustment and oil change along with some bushings and coolant overhaul.
    This weekend I took it on a 30 min drive, the car ran fine with no issues, had the car sitting for an hour or two and went back to started, the car started but sounded like a diesel truck with a harsh knock for a few minutes and the noise went away. Does that have to do with a rod bearing symptom ? Could it be that the oil isn't getting to the top fast enough?
    another thing, there is a stumble or a rough idle but runs fine at over 1500 rpms.

I appreciate your input on this in advance

If it was sitting, did you drain gas, filter, etc. I wonder if your injectors need to be cleaned. I would for shits and giggles send the oil out for analysis. Might tell you if the main bearings are needing replacement.
    Dan

88 M3
    Black on Black

San Diego, CA
    USA

Comment

Haven't done much yet, as the fuel filter, lines and injectors are on my to do list.
      Is there an easy way to figure out if the oil pump is good?

Comment

Welcome to the club. Inherently the motor is pretty noisy and can get much worse with the wrong weight oil. Also, search for chain tensioner as it's oil pressure based and can be really noisy from a cold start.

Comment

I vote for chain tensioner, mines really noisy, then goes away after a minute, even when the engine is warm.
          correct me if I am wrong, but people install the E35 tensioner instead? for the noise to go away?

Comment

Hi and welcome to the M3 ownership, the noise most likely cam chain tensioner related. Oil can bleed out of it when parked an cause rattle on start up can be worse if thinner oils used.

E30 M3 1987
            Mini Clubman GT
            BMW E36 323 Msport
            Toyota Corona
            KTM 200EXC
            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

The noise became louder after the oil change, I used 20W 50 conventional oil. I will look into the tensioner

Comment

Welcome to E30 M3 ownership! Car looks beautiful

Comment

Sounds like classic timing chain tensioner rattle.
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Welcome to the insanity.

I bought my car in 2002...at that time it was only a bit over a 10 year old car. Even then it needed a ton of work and attention. All the rubber parts were rock hard, it had dodgy electrics from terminal corrosion in various places, the wiring had been butchered from poorly installed stereo systems and alarms, the cams were pitted, it had leaks in a half dozen places....it goes on and on. I know my car wasn't neglected...I had the entire service history....the fact is just that these cars can be money pits.

I have never regretted buying it though....

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I guess with time, Everything will come together and the money I spend on her won't go to waste as we all know the value of e30 M3 is going up.

Comment

Working...
                      X