S14 Engine noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Engine noise

I have a tapping noise coming from the top rear of my engine.
    it starts tapping when engine is cold or hot.
    does anyone have a thought on what it cold be. The engine was stroked and rebuilt bu previous owner about 3500 miles ago

thanks,
    anthony

No immediate thoughts. What are you using to determine where the noise is coming from, a stethoscope? High up in an S14 is just the cam's which normally make a whirring sound when using a stethoscope. Can you isolate the noise to a particular spot on the valve cover?
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

• Afish
      Afish commented
      Editing a comment
      I am hearing it just by ear, its pretty loud from the top of the engine closer to the firewall

What Ron said. All I can add is check valve clearances and make sure they are correct. It is hard to answer your question because some amount of valve-train noise is normal on the S14. Whether the tapping is a problem kind of depends on how loud it is, and where it is coming from.

Even when my valve clearances are perfect....I can detect a slight tapping from the valve train in addition to the other noises.

Comment

I agree with Ironhead. Perhaps start with a stethoscope and probe around with the engine running to see if you can isolate an area where the tapping is coming from. Mechanical noise has a nasty ability to travel through other metal parts and mislead you, but with a stethoscope, you can move it around until you hit an area where the noise is the loudest, and that's your location. Once you have a location, it will be easier to narrow down the source of the noise. By all means also check valve clearances. They would have to be really out of spec to make loud tapping noise, but pay particular attention to the valves nearest to the location of the loudest noise you found with the stethoscope, The injector's also make a fair amount of nose as well. Touch the top of each one and see if one is making more noise than the others.
      Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
      • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
      • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
      • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
      • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
      • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
      • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
      • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
      • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
      • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

the car is at Mr. M car in NJ and he is not 100% on what it might be he checked the valve clearance and said its fine. he adjusted them about 1000 miles ago. he said he would have to take the head off to check the springs. it never used to make this noise, it started about 100 miles ago.

Thanks for the input guys

Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Afish View Post
          the car is at Mr. M car in NJ and he is not 100% on what it might be he checked the valve clearance and said its fine. he adjusted them about 1000 miles ago. he said he would have to take the head off to check the springs. it never used to make this noise, it started about 100 miles ago.

Thanks for the input guys

Anthony
          Don knows the engine and has a solid reputation. I would follow his advice.

Comment

Working...
          X