Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoses - Rebuild or Replace? (Oil - Power Steering - AC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoses - Rebuild or Replace? (Oil - Power Steering - AC)

Hey guys,

I'm at the point in my build when i need to start reconnecting systems. The hoses that connect said systems are a) very expensive and b) usually don't have the old style yellow chromate finish (abandoned in favor of the newer silver anti-corrosion plating BMW uses now).

So my decision is - rebuild the lines or replace them?

REBUILD
    I have found two specialty shops that do this - both in Arizona, for some reason

https://www.autohosesolutions.com/gallery.html

http://automotivehoseservice.com/

They look like they do good work.

Pros for rebuild: I can plate the ends myself and have them do the rubber. Likely will be much cheaper
    Cons for rebuild: Not entirely OEM part, could have a potential for leaks? I do NOT want power steering fluid, oil, or refrigerant sprayed all over my perfect engine bay.

REPLACE
    Here are the P/Ns and costs

Power Steering: $363
    - 32411135936 - Reservoir to Pump (OEM N/A) - $66
    - 32411134693 - Power Steering Return Hose - $66
    - 32416769948 - Power Steering Pressure Hose - $231

Oil Cooler: $368
    - 17222225806 - Long line (passenger side) - $195
    - 17222225805 - Sort line (driver side) - $173

AC
    - I was going to list the P/Ns here, but i think my AC lines are done - solid rust coating inside and I don't want to risk ruing a new compressor

For reference, here are my Power Steering and Oil Cooler lines:

Power Steering

Oil Cooler

I would do the rebuilt ones....but this is coming from one who replaced all those hoses with A/N stuff around 2003....so I am not really up on the "correct, original" ethos.

It is a tough pill to swallow that they get $200 for a rubber hose.....if you can find one.

Comment

The high pressure steering line is really the one that you might want to replace with a genuine part. I looked at replacing mine with a custom part , the hydraulic hose shop I spoke to were unsure on the crimp in the middle of the hose and replicating it, while I was unsure what effect that would have without it, or if they crimped it too little or too much.
      The other two low pressure lines could just be replated unless the rubber looks shot.

The oil lines now come new with just a silver zinc coat and I think were painted or coated originally, or at least the large steel line running against the cooler was. On mine the steel line was rotted too much to save. Your's look better and would be tempted to reuse them, subject to a better look of the condition of the rubber.
      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Decided to go new. Dont regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
          The high pressure steering line is really the one that you might want to replace with a genuine part. I looked at replacing mine with a custom part , the hydraulic hose shop I spoke to were unsure on the crimp in the middle of the hose and replicating it, while I was unsure what effect that would have without it, or if they crimped it too little or too much.
          . .
          Crimp in the middle locates a damping orifice to counter audible pressure waves in the hose.

Comment

Wow that's a clean car and a clean garage! You didn't want oil all over that nice floor not just the engine bay...

Comment

Working...
            X