My 2018 M3 maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2018 M3 maintenance

Hi, I have been busy on and off working to tidy up some jobs on my M3 this year just now having some spare time to share what I have been up to.

I had been looking around for an original looking radio which suited the M3 and decided on the Alpine CM5905E .
    I advertised on Facebook and brought one locally along with a front harness (which had been cut) fader switch and manual.
    For New Zealand and not sure of other countries the FM tuner is different than the USA radios when it is tuning it goes up in .1 USA radios go in .2 so a station like FM 91.3 would not work with a USA radio.

More ringing around eventually found a shop to test and repair the stereo back to new, crackle when switched on, no AM tape deck not working.

With a lot of arm twisting no I don’t want to scrap it fix it, it is going to cost lost to fix do you really want to fix it yes fix it – are you sure you want AM going could be hard to fix, that went on for three weeks with ring them they ringing back etc eventually dry solder joint fixed, tape deck switch dry grease removed all good and working now like a charm.

When I removed the Sony CD player found the usual cut wires even the wires to the front speakers were cut and removed so I decided to repair the harness which came with the new radio.

Repair underway

Repaired and ready to test.

I connect it up under the dash to make sure it all worked and the smoke did not leak out before removing the speedo and glove box to swap in the new radio harness.

E30 M3 1987
    Mini Clubman GT
    BMW E36 323 Msport
    Toyota Corona
    KTM 200EXC
    Honda CB50 (1979)

The radio is good now and working correctly.

​​
    No I did not start drinking the meths.

Another trip to a car wreaker to purchase enough replacement parts to replace all the damaged items, new draft stopper foam seal strips and it was ready for assembly.

E30 M3 1987
    Mini Clubman GT
    BMW E36 323 Msport
    Toyota Corona
    KTM 200EXC
    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Next up was the squeaky fan I brought an AMC fan to replace the original and delved in to the job upon disassembly found some little fairy had been there before me and broken the lower recirc flaps where the recirc motor arm connect to and hot glued them back up. Probably when the Bonrath wiper was installed in Japan.

One thing I did notice it did not matter how much I fluffed around with the fan motor it did not want to sit central and the L/H fan wheel sat very close to the plastic housing luckily it does not touch so no noise.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Over the years most of the sensors for the engine have been replaced just leaving the flywheel sensors and the AFM which are original, a few years ago I reset the wiper arm on the AFM so
      thought it a good idea to replace the flywheel sensors.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

There is two lengths of leads for the M3 listed in the realoem Larry and BMG kindly pointed out that the correct one for our cars is 610mm in length p/n 12141708619

​​​​​​​

Then it is time to do the valve clearances, I brought this valve kit during the year it was missing 3 shims otherwise brand new used once and still in the original cardboard box with 9 used shims supplied along with it.

This is the first time the valves have been checked since motor restoration in 2011, back then I made up an XL spreadsheet of the clearances shim size and p/n installed. So it was interesting revisiting all that data.

Checking the clearances revealed all had loosened by between 0.001 and 0.002” since originally all clearances were set close to or just under the minumn clearance, only ended making 4 shim adjustments.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​

My M3 has the factory R134A retro kit with steel compressor bracket which I repaired when I brought it back in 2009 and has now started to crack again so I brought a new one and installed it.
      The old bracket I always kept an eye on it after discovering one of the attach bolts to the block missing and then a few years later new bolt broken off so hoping for better results with the new bracket.

​​​​​​​​​​​

On a hoist for an inspection and wipe down any build up of grime.

​​​​​​​

While on holiday recently in the USA a box arrived at home when I got back with much anticipation I opened it hoping for no broken glass all good thankfully one new and one slightly used selective Yellow Cibie H1 lights.

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Hi Dave, now that summer is fast approaching in the southern hemisphere it is good to hear you are in full swing in time for the motoring season. In the northern hemisphere were are putting our M3 in hibernation (at least in Canada we are). Keep us posted

Comment

Hi John,
          Yes starting to warm up nicely down here and been driving it most nice days in the weekends, I did most of those jobs over the winter months and just keep an eye out for any items I might be wanted for servicing buy them and store until they are needed.

E30 M3 1987
          Mini Clubman GT
          BMW E36 323 Msport
          Toyota Corona
          KTM 200EXC
          Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Dave,

Great job keeping the girl going! Thanks for the pictures. BTW, I realized that the belts don't need to be as tight as we think they should be. It doesn't take much to keep the compressor clutch spinning. Overtightening the belt tension will lead to cracked mountings, bushings, and tensioner adjustment brackets.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks Tony, I had not considered the fan belt as a source of problem just thinking metal fatigue and those vibrations, I will check the belts in the weekend thanks.
              Hope to get it out for a spin and take some photos with the new lights installed.

E30 M3 1987
              Mini Clubman GT
              BMW E36 323 Msport
              Toyota Corona
              KTM 200EXC
              Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Nice update fixing those little niggles. Your garage looks to include an original Mini too - nice combo.
                This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Well spotted, Also in the garage my 1980 1275GT mini I have owned since 1990 and is awaiting patiently for some TLC engine and body work, hope to start work this year.

E30 M3 1987
                  Mini Clubman GT
                  BMW E36 323 Msport
                  Toyota Corona
                  KTM 200EXC
                  Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Working...
                  X