M3 with an S55 conversion at SEMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 with an S55 conversion at SEMA

Was watching a video from this years SEMA show which features an E30 M3 ( or possibly replica ) with what I think is the S55 engine from an M2 ? I can't keep up with the more modern stuff....
    Anyway, looks quite a nice install, so was wondering if anyone knew more.
    Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3lOSbTVzP4

Car only features for a few seconds at 19 seconds in.
    This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

I have been watching the build on instagram. It was built using a real M3 chasis and was done by a group of students. The $1000000 question is how well will it drive?
    Dan

88 M3
    Black on Black

San Diego, CA
    USA

Comment

Thanks, found it. Interesting build. Engine conversions aren't normally me think, but quite like this one.

https://www.instagram.com/honestassembly/?hl=en
      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Very cool build. Where was this sort of project when I was in high school?
        1990 M3

Comment

I wonder where the original S14 ended up . . .
          1990 M3

Comment

I have an F80 with a mild tune, and I can barely put the power down in 2nd gear. I spin in 3rd gear all the time when its below 50 degrees.

My point is, better have the goo-iest tires on the market for this E30.

The S55 makes incredible torque, there almost isn't a need to exceed 6K RPMS.

Comment

No S14, no care LOL.

Originally posted by Kevin///m3 View Post
              I there almost isn't a need to exceed 6K RPMS.
              Thats just so sad... Life "begins" at 6,000 RPMs
              Last edited by jimmy p.; 10-31-2018, 11:02 AM.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin///m3 View Post
                I have an F80 with a mild tune, and I can barely put the power down in 2nd gear. I spin in 3rd gear all the time when its below 50 degrees.

My point is, better have the goo-iest tires on the market for this E30.

The S55 makes incredible torque, there almost isn't a need to exceed 6K RPMS.
                Thats why I am refreshing mine to have a flat torque curve like the S65 and all the HP up top like a NA motor. Best of both worlds!

T

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
                  I wonder where the original S14 ended up . . .
                  It seems to be FS according to the instagram page

Comment

Still cool to see people modifying these. With that motor it's probably just a burnout machine

Comment

I don't dig it. Haven't seen a SEMA M3 that I've actually liked though so could just be my taste *shrug
                      @slowprogress

Comment

S55 is a great engine for sure, as in power and torque etc. But turbo motors.... The exhaust and intake have these impellers and turbines in them... That muffle the sound.

One thing I love about cars in general is the sound they make. And the s14 with a carbon airbox, is one of the great automotive sounds of the 20th century.

Comment

the s14 and trans from this car are on craigslist in denver.
                          -kevin

Comment

The ad says 109K miles with a price of $16K and at the end of the ad $15K OBO.

Comment

Hey guys, the car was built in my garage. It runs very well and we spend 7 months after SEMA refining it. The improvements include extensive suspension geometry work, 6 total coolers, 4 fans, and lots of torque management in the tune.

It also has 3 modes on a switch that keep it from being just a burnout machine around town. The top mode makes around 550hp/560tq to the wheels thanks to BPM Sport and will lay the power down through the top of 6th gear. With some skilled driving, even the top power mode is very usable as a daily driver - I just spent a week driving it in LA traffic. The torque curve flattens out around 1800-2000 RPM and makes power all the way to 7500.

Next up, power steering, A/C, and hybrid DTM rear suspension geared towards the street.

Here's a view of the chassis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgg8a4vMIlc&t=1751s

Comment

Working...
                              X