Instrument Cluster tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Cluster tape

Hey guys, 1st post here! I'm restoring my M3 and had a question about the instrument cluster. When I got the car back in '94 it had some tape on the tach near the red line.

Was that something the previous owner put there, or did some M3s come with tape on the tach from the factory? I'm about to send the unit to Bavarian Restoration and was wondering if it should be removed during service. Thanks for the help!

They didn't come that way from the factory.

Comment

Ok cool. Must have been the previous owner. Not sure why it was put there

Comment

probably to denote when to shift.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

Ok, about to get the cluster back from Bavarian Restoration. Greg has been helpful and informative through the process. Thank you! Unfortunately the tape left a residue that they could not remove. Here is a photo.

Is there any chance I may find an original replacement face for the 8k rpm tach gauge? Were they even available as a replacement part?

Comment

Not available through BMW only complete tach with oil temp sensor.
              You might have some luck through aftermarket suppliers who offer them with white faces on ebay for instance.

Comment

Got it, thanks for the info. Bavarian Restoration told me they make a replica face, so that's an option too. I'll have to see how it looks in the dash, maybe it's not so bad.

Comment

Working...
                X