Prodrive/Group A Rally cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prodrive/Group A Rally cars

Does anyone have any information or links to the differences between a standard road car and the Prodrive rally cars.

I'm interested in:

- shell preparation such as stitch welds and strengthening
    - roll cage (are they Matter cages?)
    - suspension set up/parts
    - gearboxes used
    - any other points of interest!

Thanks for any help!

The Prodrive rally cars were basically very similar to the Gruppe A / BTCC cars. Theye were built in the same shop, side by side with the road race cars back in those days.
    The Prodrive race shop of the E30 M3 era was shockingly small. There are a few pictures of it online where you can see the road race cars being built alongside the rally cars.
    Its a standard E30M3 Group A Matter shell, same as the Road race cars. Engines were similar to the road race engines excepting some specifics like cams. Same with transmissions.
    The uprights were standard Gruppe A uprights, only with 5 lug hubs instead of center locks.
    My chassis was slated to be a rally car and ended up being a road race car.
    There is a perfect example of a Prodrive rally car in their Heritage center in the UK.
    I went for a visit there and had the opportunity to spend alot of time looking through that car, the similarities from that Prodrive Rally car to my car were high.

There is a good thread right here on S14.net on the subject of Prodrive Rally Cars:

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...rally-e30-m3-s

Declan is a wealth of info on the rally cars. I think he sold his car recently but he was a great contributor both here and on John's board.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
      The Prodrive rally cars were basically very similar to the Gruppe A / BTCC cars. Theye were built in the same shop, side by side with the road race cars back in those days.
      The Prodrive race shop of the E30 M3 era was shockingly small. There are a few pictures of it online where you can see the road race cars being built alongside the rally cars.
      Its a standard E30M3 Group A Matter shell, same as the Road race cars. Engines were similar to the road race engines excepting some specifics like cams. Same with transmissions.
      The uprights were standard Gruppe A uprights, only with 5 lug hubs instead of center locks.
      My chassis was slated to be a rally car and ended up being a road race car.
      There is a perfect example of a Prodrive rally car in their Heritage center in the UK.
      I went for a visit there and had the opportunity to spend alot of time looking through that car, the similarities from that Prodrive Rally car to my car were high.

There is a good thread right here on S14.net on the subject of Prodrive Rally Cars:

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...rally-e30-m3-s

Declan is a wealth of info on the rally cars. I think he sold his car recently but he was a great contributor both here and on John's board.
      Hi Jimmy,

thanks for that, that's the exact sort of information that I was looking for!

Comment

Working...
      X