Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Evo 2 Cam gear play nice with Schrick 284/276 & M Flywheel on a stock 2.3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Evo 2 Cam gear play nice with Schrick 284/276 & M Flywheel on a stock 2.3?

Hello, I've got a US stock 2.3L that is currently at the shop getting the block worked on. Number 2 piston had a warped cylinder wall and needs a sleeve. Bummer, but it makes it a good time to put in performance parts while it's disassembled. The car is for street use, daily driving.

I ended up ordering the Schrick 284/276 cams and evo motorsport flywheel after reading all the positive remarks on this site. Thanks everyone!

When ordering, the guy at Turner Motorsport recommended the evo 2 cam gear as well, so I got that too. Has anyone ran the evo 2 cam gear with this setup? I've read mixed reviews on the evo 2 cam gear and not sure if I should install it now. But maybe it's ok with this setup. Sorry if this has been covered, any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Im guessing the cam gear was recommended by the guys at the "new" Turner Motorsport,,, thats a shell company owned by ECS.

Me personally,,, no I would NOT recommend that cam gear. IN fact I wouldnt recommend that part at all,,, for anyone.
    It was a band aid part to try to give people the impression that their hi revving 4 cylinder had torque.

I would return that cam gear (or cancel the order), instead get your stock cam gears slotted and simply time the cams exactly as Schrick recommends and enjoy the S14 how its supposed to be.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Dang, I was afraid that may be the case. I guess the reasoning was the schrick camshafts add top end and the evo 2 cam gear adds some low end torque, so maybe it would balance out.

Sounds like it's not a good match though. I really love the s14 and it's high revving powerband so I don't want that to change.

I'll get the stock ones slotted and time the schrick camshafts. Thank you for the input!

Is there anything else you think I should do, while I have the engine apart, that may be helpful?

Comment

Are you using stock pistons?
        If you are just make sure your engine builder is aware they dont have very big valve reliefs, so they may have to compromise on the exhaust timing.
        If its someone who is experienced with S14s they will know that.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

You don't mention it but I assume you'll be running either a piggy back ecu or standalone to optimise fuel/ignition. If this is the case then beg/borrow or steal the money to fit an airbox and dump the airflow meter. These cars shouldn't have been let leave the factory without the dtm style airbox fitted purely from sound factor point of view. The fact it also frees up quite a few bhp is just a bonus.

Comment

I agree with all above replies.

I am curious, your machine shop is sleeving the block for #2 cylinder? I have not heard of this happening much on S14's, but as blocks have become NLA it might be more common. I would like ot know more about the process.

Comment

Sorry for the delay Jimmy! I just confirmed that stock pistons are going in. Thank you for the info about the valve reliefs and exhaust timing. I passed on the info to the shop and it was helpful.

Clark, I really don't know what to do about the intake. I've read that the stock afm is much less efficient compared to the maf. But then I read about trouble getting the maf tuned right and people going back to the stock maf. So I'm not sure what the best course of action is. So the DTM airbox has a big effect on the engine sound? I may need to get that somehow, love the sound of the s14 and if this enhances it I'm all for it! Don't want it too loud though, where it effects daily driving

Basketcase, yes it was unfortunate but water somehow entered the engine and warped cylinder #2, I may have a photo. The shop working on my car sent it out to an engine shop in town that does the sleeve. He said they bore the hole and press a top hat sleeve into the block. The process uses a hot cold method to friction weld the two materials. It's suppose to be stronger afterward. Hope this helps

Comment

Comment

Expect your machine shop will be aware that boring out that cylinder and pressing in a liner will probably distort the two adjacent bores?

Comment

Hopefully they are aware of that. The sleeve was the recommended repair by my shop. I was told just the one cylinder would have the liner, the rest polished. The engine shop they sent the block to is highly praised for their craftsmanship so I'm trusting it works out ok. There was a 3 month waiting list! Getting it back soon, I can post some photos of the repair.

Comment

Working...
                    X