Buy or Not...mileage vs price?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy or Not...mileage vs price?

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy an E30 M3 with over 110k miles...good history, paint etc. Assuming the car is well cared for and has little deferred maintenance is a car with over 100k miles typically a risky purchase? I plan to drive it a couple of thousand miles per year. What major issues should I be aware of? Price...over 60k. Walk or consider?

I think there's enough historical info on the site regarding maintenance and issues with the car. Just commenting on the price, I think that price is crazy for that mileage... just my opinion though...

Comment

Concur on price being crazy
      I'd walk
      People are shooting for the stars on asking prices hoping for a quick sucker.
      There have been many nice cars trade much less than that even recently in these crazy bubble times.
      Walk
      Or counter offer $30K, then walk.
      Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

This might be a nice option...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-c...mw-e30-m3.html

Comment

Thats less crazy
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Interested to know where you are located?

Just wondering if the screen name ABCar means AlbertaCar?

Because if it does and you are talking 60K CDN, not US, then we are talking a whole different story.

Don

Don
            1973 - 2002
            1988 - iX
            1988 - M3

Comment

Wishful thinking I think they watch the market info and think their copper is gold lol
              mike

Comment

I recently purchased an E30 M3, the market is as others mentioned all over the place. I woudl say 110k is considered fairly low mileage for an E30. I found in my search a few things.

1. 110k mileage is pretty low. Most are higher than that.
                2. Like any car, but moreso with the E30, is that condition and history is more important than mileage. Sure mileage tends to yield a higher selling (or asking price) but that does not necessarily mean its better than a car with higher mileage.
                3. SO MANY E30s had odometer repairs, so the mileage factor held less water to me than any other car purchase I have ever made.

This is my first E30 M3, but is the 3rd M3 in my small collection (E36 and E46) so I am super excited to get to work on it. It needs some love before she is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by JJCTHE1 View Post
                  I recently purchased an E30 M3, the market is as others mentioned all over the place. I woudl say 110k is considered fairly low mileage for an E30. I found in my search a few things.

1. 110k mileage is pretty low. Most are higher than that.
                  2. Like any car, but moreso with the E30, is that condition and history is more important than mileage. Sure mileage tends to yield a higher selling (or asking price) but that does not necessarily mean its better than a car with higher mileage.
                  3. SO MANY E30s had odometer repairs, so the mileage factor held less water to me than any other car purchase I have ever made.

This is my first E30 M3, but is the 3rd M3 in my small collection (E36 and E46) so I am super excited to get to work on it. It needs some love before she is perfect.

I agree. On a 30 year old special interest/collector type car, mileage is almost irrelevant. It is also difficult to positively confirm.

I suppose if you are in the market for a pure investment grade, 100% stock, 100% original car...the less mileage the better. But a low mileage car can certainly still be in terrible condition.

Comment

I'm on Ironhead's and JJCTHE1's side, the maintenance and history is more important. If you are after an investment and prepared for a Garage Queen, you want 0 miles. When I got into my M3, there was the $20K rule, spend it now or spent it later. I guess that is a $50K rule now. Try to find a sorted version as parts are getting rarer and more expensive.

Just my .02 cents.

Comment

Personally I give no care for milage. I want to use mine so milage will clock up and I don't want to be worried about that. I would prefer to pay less for a higher milage car, and have fun restoring, building, and driving. I'm not interested in garage queens. These cars work best when they are going 10/10s

Comment

Thanks for the input. How do you all like living with your M3s?

Comment

Living with my m3? Well for the 2 that I have owned, they have mostly been a labour of love so far. The first one, a henna I imported from Arizona to Australia, and spent a year converting to rhd, daily driving it for 6 months, then moving to Canada. Did not really get to enjoy the fruits of my labour.
                          Then once I moved to Canada, bought an e30 with a blown 2.5 s14, which I spent 2 years rebuilding the engine. Have not driven that much. Now I have just imported an m3 from the states to Canada and doing a cylinder head refresh before getting that drivable. So for me it's 90% project 10% driving. I'm tired, and broke . Would like to drive more and project less, that will come hopefully. It has been fun and rewarding, none the less. Hopefully by this summer I will drive more and work less. M3s are addictive, the looks, sound, racing history and other owners who are equally passionate about them all make ownership special.

Comment

Ya I agree I think the general rule is you are going to spend 50k either way you slice it. I ended up buying car that was nice and well taken care of, but had some unfinished restore things to do, which I am happy doing on my own terms and in the process of doing it now. I enjoy sourcing rare parts, making things my own, all while using OE quality parts so while its not a bone stock boring car, it doesnt sacrifice integrity either when I use say 16in BBS Style 5 wheel rather than the stock basketweaves. This is my first E30, but not my first M3. It was well worth waiting for the right one for me in the exact color combo I desired. I can now make it my own and be happy. Cars are NOT investments, even though these have gone up in value, there is still cost of ownership, maintenance, parts, insurance etc. which makes the appreciation kinda negligible. Its just a place to put some cash, have some fun with and ideally not lose much or maybe make a little long term. So whatever your hot button is, make sure you hit it when you pull the trigger. For me it was Alpine White over black, I made a promise to myself I wouldnt settle for any other combo. Ever since I learned to be patient in my aging self, its paid off ten fold. I love all my cars and will hopefully never have to part with any of them, mainly because of my rule of patience.

Comment

Pulling the trigger JJTHE1...my only choice is white over black and the one I mentioned above is in fact the car I am getting. I flew down to drive it and inspect it, smell it, taste it...etc! Good car. Here are my thoughts. It is 5-7k over market value. However the seller is meticulous (and a great guy to boot) who installed new springs, Bilsteins, bushings, tuned the engine and balanced intake, among other deferred maitenance. Also replaced seat shocks. These are items I would have done myself if I purchased the car at a cost of $...3-5k(?). Plus it it presents and drives extremely well. Will pick up in the next 2-6 weeks and will update. Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X