Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jagermeister DTM Restoration Video

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jagermeister DTM Restoration Video

    Watched this on the 'tube. Too bad it's just a series of pictures, but they're good pictures. If you don't like electronic music, mute your audio.

    Enjoy!

    https://youtu.be/MWdH10JZ-Ek

    The channel also has a few other restoration videos that are worth watching.

    Ray

  • #2
    Really cool....

    I can't help wondering what that resto must have cost. So many new/unobtainium parts and so much labor.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      Really cool....

      I can't help wondering what that resto must have cost. So many new/unobtainium parts and so much labor.
      I had the similar thoughts... I came to the conclusion that the cost was, A LOT!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by S14Mpower View Post

        I had the similar thoughts... I came to the conclusion that the cost was, A LOT!
        I would wager that it cost quite a bit more than the car would ever fetch at auction. It is a labor of love....

        Comment


        • #5
          Love that.

          That car must have been beat to hell to need that much shell work.

          Comment


          • #6
            https://www.facebook.com/92DTM/

            FB page with more information and commentary.
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kevin///m3 View Post
              Love that.

              That car must have been beat to hell to need that much shell work.
              This reminds me of the story about a street sweeper who is still using his grandfathers broom. Yes, the brush itself has been changed several times already and so has been the handle, but it still is his grandfathers broom.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ludwig View Post

                This reminds me of the story about a street sweeper who is still using his grandfathers broom. Yes, the brush itself has been changed several times already and so has been the handle, but it still is his grandfathers broom.
                Ferrari has a process wherein they "authenticate" vintage racing Ferraris as the real thing. If you have a car that crashed and burned, but you can salvage part of the frame that has a readable serial # on it....you're good to go. As long as you incorporate that numbered section, you can build a new car from scratch and as long as the build is to Ferrari standards (probably no small feat) they will still authenticate it.

                One of the 250 GTOs in the Ferrari scene (there are only around 30) was involved in a huge crash back in the day that killed the driver. It was rebuilt similar to this (I'm not entirely sure whether it burned or not) and today is still worth perhaps 75-85% as much as the other GTOs.

                I just thought that all fit in with your broom story...
                Last edited by Ironhead; 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

                  Ferrari has a process wherein they "authenticate" vintage racing Ferraris as the real thing. If you have a car that crashed and burned, but you can salvage part of the frame that has a readable serial # on it....you're good to go. As long as you incorporate that numbered section, you can build a new car from scratch and as long as the build is to Ferrari standards (probably no small feat) they will still authenticate it.

                  One of the 250 GTOs in the Ferrari scene (there are only around 30) was involved in a huge crash back in the day that killed the driver. It was rebuilt similar to this (I'm not entirely sure whether it burned or not) and today is still worth perhaps 75-85% as much as the other GTOs.

                  I just thought that all fit in with your broom story...
                  I think that GTO sold for $38M or something a few years ago.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

                    Ferrari has a process wherein they "authenticate" vintage racing Ferraris as the real thing. If you have a car that crashed and burned, but you can salvage part of the frame that has a readable serial # on it....you're good to go. As long as you incorporate that numbered section, you can build a new car from scratch and as long as the build is to Ferrari standards (probably no small feat) they will still authenticate it.

                    One of the 250 GTOs in the Ferrari scene (there are only around 30) was involved in a huge crash back in the day that killed the driver. It was rebuilt similar to this (I'm not entirely sure whether it burned or not) and today is still worth perhaps 75-85% as much as the other GTOs.

                    I just thought that all fit in with your broom story...
                    I didn't know this, but BMW has a classic restoration process as well.

                    https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/...ic-center.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ludwig View Post

                      This reminds me of the story about a street sweeper who is still using his grandfathers broom. Yes, the brush itself has been changed several times already and so has been the handle, but it still is his grandfathers broom.
                      Ship of Theseus.
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Amazing amount of work involved completed to an crazy standard.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

                          Ferrari has a process wherein they "authenticate" vintage racing Ferraris as the real thing. If you have a car that crashed and burned, but you can salvage part of the frame that has a readable serial # on it....you're good to go. As long as you incorporate that numbered section, you can build a new car from scratch and as long as the build is to Ferrari standards (probably no small feat) they will still authenticate it.

                          One of the 250 GTOs in the Ferrari scene (there are only around 30) was involved in a huge crash back in the day that killed the driver. It was rebuilt similar to this (I'm not entirely sure whether it burned or not) and today is still worth perhaps 75-85% as much as the other GTOs.

                          I just thought that all fit in with your broom story...

                          Didn't know that, thanks!

                          Konig, now that you're saying it i might have heard of Ship of Theseus.

                          Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly built car and changing the parts doesn't make it less great in my eyes, just had to think of that story.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X