Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ausm3
    replied
    I'm using H&R sway bars, feel more grip that OE and allows you to corner faster with more confidence. I'm sure other brands e.g. ST, IE, etc will yield similar or better results.

Leave a comment:

• irdave
    replied
    The single adjustable Koni's I recently got from GC have the adjusters at the top for both front and rear.

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    I have the Konis with a Ground Control coil over setup. Assuming you go with the Konis I'd start out on the full soft setting and go from there. When adjusting the Konis there are no detents as you progress up or down on the rebound setting, infinitely variable (kind of a flaw IMO as you can never get the same EXACT setting twice). Unfortunately the standard E30 M3 Konis are adjustable from the bottom as mlytle indicated, which means you have to jack the rear up, get under it, remove the shock and adjust. Not exactly something you can do on the fly.

If you want to go with Koni, I'd suggest contacting Ground Control and talk to them about ordering a set of rears. They adjust from the top (inside the trunk). Tell them what spring rates you will be running and they can valve them to a specific rate range. Slightly more dollars than the standard off the shelf Konis but worth it. As a matter of course, I'd talk to them about front dampers as well. Get the entire set specifically configured to your spring rates and you'll be loving life. One of the keys to a good suspension setup is matching the damping rates of the shocks to the spring rates.

I have 525lb springs in the front and 750lb springs in the rear and because the dampers are matched to the springs the ride is better than you would expect from such high rates.

For reference H&R Sport Sping rates are: Front 180lbs, Rear 380lbs

Leave a comment:

• mcubed91
    replied
    Okay, what setting should I have the Koni's on? for street, forever... Thanks for all your info. And I thought it would be easy...

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied
    Originally posted by mcubed91 View Post
    Okay, returning the Bilstein, anything wrong with the Koni's? you guys are killing me...
    86411210KT
    KONI Yellow Sport Adjustable Front/Rear Shocks and Struts Package
    nothing wrong, except...
    the rears are adjustable, sort of. either the adjustment is on top of the damper requiring removal of the trunk liner each time you adjust or cutting an access hole in the liner....or...the shock needs to be removed and body twisted on the shaft to adjust. my E36 uses the former method. my 2002 uses the latter. neither one is easy. for most folks that means whatever setting was on them when they were installed is the setting they will be at forever.

LOL....this thread should be merged back with your other thread on shocks. it drifted back there off the topic of sway bars.

Leave a comment:

• sector7g
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	m3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	216.7 KB ID:	1278934 I cut down the bump stops on the set of B8s that I installed not too long ago with H&R Sports (#50406) with crash mounts. I like the handling and ride height quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• mcubed91
    replied
    Okay, returning the Bilstein, anything wrong with the Koni's? you guys are killing me...
    86411210KT
    KONI Yellow Sport Adjustable Front/Rear Shocks and Struts Package

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

I was hoping you would chime in Marshall. Its funny you were just recounting this story.
    I wonder if something changed along the way...
    I "think" back in 1994 when I put the Bilstien Sports on my red street car they were an E30M3 specific part number.
    I wonder ff possibly now that the cars are much older and demand is probably much lower they have consolidated the part number across all E30s, maybe that may have something to do with it.
    I've always loved the way mine feel, I cant believe I'm riding on the bump stops and I know that I did not alter mine.
    Anyone else here have really old ones or know if they did something like consolidate the part numbers or change the shock design?
    yeah, when we were chatting about suspension a couple weekends ago, i had completely forgottten about having used the billy/h&r setup on my eta. i actually dug up my build thread on that car and saw my comments about the suspension. when i first put it on, loved it. after 50k miles of commuting, was not so impressed. the key comment in my post above was that it was my daily driver...in washington dc area. as a weekend warrior car on smoother roads the billy/h&r with bumpstops cut I suspect would be better.

think i am going to leave the original factory installed shocks and springs on my E30 M3.....for now.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by mlytle View Post
    bilstien did the same thing to the E36 M3 front struts. at normal, stock, ride height the struts were on the bumpstops. even when they were cut there was not enough travel in the suspension. finally dumped them and replaced with GC suspension and Koni's. WAY better.

i did the billy sport/h&r sport combo on my 325e. same part numbers across the E30 line including the M3. i did not cut the bumpstops. the ride was brutal for a daily driver.
    I was hoping you would chime in Marshall. Its funny you were just recounting this story.
    I wonder if something changed along the way...
    I "think" back in 1994 when I put the Bilstien Sports on my red street car they were an E30M3 specific part number.
    I wonder ff possibly now that the cars are much older and demand is probably much lower they have consolidated the part number across all E30s, maybe that may have something to do with it.
    I've always loved the way mine feel, I cant believe I'm riding on the bump stops and I know that I did not alter mine.
    Anyone else here have really old ones or know if they did something like consolidate the part numbers or change the shock design?
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mpoweroo1 View Post

That is exactly what I am experiencing with my current setup, absolutely brutal for daily use!

mlytle- Would you mind sharing what GC Koni setup you went with ?
    this was for my E36 M3.....went with this
    https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...street-touring

except i got the fully adjustable camber/caster plates. 450/600 f/r.

not only is it much better on the street than the billy's, but is also handles track duty in the instructor run group nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Mpoweroo1
    replied
    Originally posted by mlytle View Post
    bilstien did the same thing to the E36 M3 front struts. at normal, stock, ride height the struts were on the bumpstops. even when they were cut there was not enough travel in the suspension. finally dumped them and replaced with GC suspension and Koni's. WAY better.

i did the billy sport/h&r sport combo on my 325e. same part numbers across the E30 line including the M3. i did not cut the bumpstops. the ride was brutal for a daily driver.
    That is exactly what I am experiencing with my current setup, absolutely brutal for daily use!

mlytle- Would you mind sharing what GC Koni setup you went with ?

Leave a comment:

• mlytle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Your choice. In the linked thread I posed all the evidence to justify my decision. Even at stock ride height, you will be sat in the bumpstops. No doubt in that.

Leave a comment:

• mcubed91
    replied
    stevesingo, I went to Auburn Foreign Car and talked to the E30 M3 mechanic, JR, he said not to cut the bumpstops. JR does a lot of M3 here in the Pacific Northwest. I see you post a lot of helpful info here. But I am going to live and learn, I'm going to see how they ride before I cut them...

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Before you install the B8s, prise off the bottom cap and expose the bumpstops. Then, cut the bottom half of the bumpstop off! You will thank me for it.

For some strange reason, Bilstein thought it would be a good idea to have bumpstops so long you only get about 1 1/2" of travel before they start to compress which ramps up the effective spring rate massively.

Lots of discussion here.. https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...eel-this-still

Leave a comment:

Working...
X