Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a fair restocking fee? Should there be a "CAP"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a fair restocking fee? Should there be a "CAP"?

I recently purchased some wheels from VIVID Racing. Very good company with good service and a knowledgeable staff. When I returned the wheels I was told there was a 25% restocking fee. This was clearly stated in the purchase terms. I returned the wheels (Unused) when I learned I would have to roll the fenders or get tires that were too narrow.

Is 25% on $3200 ($800 charge when I returned them) reasonable?

Again, VIVID did tell me in advance the restocking fee and the service was excellent...just wonder if this is normal and should I have asked for a lesser restocking fee?
    Do all companies do it this way?

Thanks

Yes, it's normal for many companies to charge a restocking fee. 25% is high but you were made aware of this before you bought. This should have been taken into consideration especially when buying $3200 wheels. It was on you to make sure the wheels you bought would fit correctly.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I agree with Reelizmpro, but I'm also a believer in that it doesn't hurt to ask for a "break" on the restocking fee. The worst that can happen is they say no and you still owe the same amount. Or they end up being super cool and knock down a percentage or two from the price.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree Vivid has a right to do this, particularly since they apparently made sure the buyer was well aware of it.

But 25% is very high, and I think it is bad long term policy with regard to customer service. Online retailing nowadays is very competitive for nearly all products, and just hearing about this makes me sort of shy away from buying anything from Vivid. I suppose some amount of a "restocking fee" is reasonable, but I think 25% is way over the top, excessive and exploitive.

I'm sure the buyer also had to pay shipping both ways, no small amount on a set of wheels.

Again, Vivid is within their rights....but it is poor customer relations.

Comment

Wow 25% is probably what they are making as a profit, if I am ordering from a company and they tell me upfront that there is a 25% restocking fees I would definitely stay away from that company, that's totally insane specially on $3200, I can see on less expensive item, but if they disclosed upfront I believe there is little that can be done about it, it won't hurt to ask, lots to gain and nothing to lose, good luck.

Comment

I would definitely call and ask for a break. You could use the fact that they don't fit as leverage. Or try and sell them privately.
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I was not familiar with Vivid- so I took a quick look at their site. I would believe that they don't keep anything in stock. When you order it I would think they have it drop shipped directly to you from some warehouse. Is 25% a lot? Maybe. But knowing in advance that that's what it's going to be? That's fair. If it scares some people away- I suppose when it scares enough people away they might change it- but they might be sitting on those wheels right now- maybe their supplier doesn't take returns at all... It'd be pretty telling if the wheels were BBS LM's, 17x8.5, 18mm offset, in diamond silver...

Comment

Originally posted by irdave View Post
                If it scares some people away- I suppose when it scares enough people away they might change it
                It definitely scared me away. I also generally don't deal with the assorted online retailers who stock nothing....and simply try to track parts down when they have an order/money.

Wheels are in a different category though. No retailer could possibly stock the myriad possible combinations there.
                Last edited by Ironhead; 05-04-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

I also generally don't deal with the assorted online retailers who stock nothing....and simply try to track parts down when they have an order/money.
                  I think this is a big point. I usually try to deal with just one vendor, to develop a relationship. Sometimes they're a little more expensive, but I end up with really good service, which I value. And stuff tends to show up when it's suppose to.

When you search the VividRacing website by model ('88 M3) a bunch of wheels come up by size, only one comes up by model... https://www.vividracing.com/bbs-17x8...151953617.html

I'm curious if these are OP's wheels...

Comment

I think more info here is merited. Are they custom wheels? Did they have to have them made/painted for you or were they sitting on the shelf? If they put time into making, ordering or sourcing them for you then I would say 25% is not too insane, if they were sitting on the shelf and they dont have to do anything other than re-inventory them I would say its high. Either way, if you agreed to the terms when ordering, and you returned them for a problem you had with your car, not a problem you had with their wheels, or customer service then you owe them 25% IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X