CAE Ultra shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAE Ultra shifter

I'm interested in hearing opinions from people who have used this shifter. How well does it work and does it hold up over time?

I've been using one for several years now.

I think it works well. If you are not aware, the way it works is to raise the pivot point for the shifter a couple of inches above the stock location. By doing this, it allows a tall (close to the steering wheel) shifter while still having a very short throw. It also has a strong "return to center" spring, which gives you a better feel for where in the shift pattern you are...the intent being to make missed shifts less likely. I think it does these things very well, shifting with it is very, VERY deliberate...takes a bit of effort....it is not a "flick of the wrist" style shifter. It is however very fast and very precise.

It is a hard mounted shifter....so it does introduce some additional NVH inside the car beyond what the stock style "isolated" shifters transmit.

As far as durability...mine is holding up fine...but my car is basically just a track car that is driven maybe 5K miles a year.

Last edited by Ironhead; 06-05-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

That CAE shifter looks pretty awesome, I didn't know they existed. The adjustable stops and centering spring look like they'll make a noticeable difference.
      - Did you go with their selector rod?
      - What are you running for engine/tranny mounts?

I tried the DTM shifter for a few years and didn't like it. It had same slop as a stock shifter but the taller lever actually made it feel worse. I also learned the hard way that moving the shifter pivot mount from the tranny to the tunnel requires solid, or at least semi-solid, drivetrain mounts. I was running 540 motor mounts at the time and under braking the motor would be pulled forward enough to cause the shifter to tilt back quite a bit.

Comment

I know this thread is about CAE shifters, but I just wanted to share anothe shifter that my buddy just installed in his S54 powered e30.
        https://rtd-motorsports.com/product/...6-e39-e46-e60/
        I am not affiliated with this company at all, but I was very impressed by its performance.
        You also do not have to hack up the center console to get it to fit, which is a huge plus if you want to keep the car on the street.

Downside,there currently isnt a way to "plug" the holes that the rod needs to shift. So you get a lot of heat and possible road debris that can get kicked up under the shift boot.
        Looking at the CAE siite, they have this problem under control.

Comment

I've been using a DTM replica shifter for the past 13 or so years. I thought the solid mount was a step up from the rubber mounted carrier that the stock shifter used. I recently had the chance to sit in a car with a CAE shifter and row through the gears and I thought it was a huge improvement over the DTM shifter setup. I've heard nothing but good comments from anyone who has used one. It looks pretty cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post
            I know this thread is about CAE shifters, but I just wanted to share anothe shifter that my buddy just installed in his S54 powered e30.
            https://rtd-motorsports.com/product/...6-e39-e46-e60/
            I am not affiliated with this company at all, but I was very impressed by its performance.
            You also do not have to hack up the center console to get it to fit, which is a huge plus if you want to keep the car on the street.

Downside,there currently isnt a way to "plug" the holes that the rod needs to shift. So you get a lot of heat and possible road debris that can get kicked up under the shift boot.
            Looking at the CAE siite, they have this problem under control.

That RTD shifter has a similar design but it looks from the pictures like it lacks all the positive stops, assist springs and reverse lockout of the CAE unit. Fitting under the stock shifter boot would be nice, but isn't absolutely required for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
              That CAE shifter looks pretty awesome, I didn't know they existed. The adjustable stops and centering spring look like they'll make a noticeable difference.
              - Did you go with their selector rod?
              - What are you running for engine/tranny mounts?

I tried the DTM shifter for a few years and didn't like it. It had same slop as a stock shifter but the taller lever actually made it feel worse. I also learned the hard way that moving the shifter pivot mount from the tranny to the tunnel requires solid, or at least semi-solid, drivetrain mounts. I was running 540 motor mounts at the time and under braking the motor would be pulled forward enough to cause the shifter to tilt back quite a bit.
              I am running the Group N engine and tranny mounts.

Just to be clear, the CAE shifter does NOT have adjustable stops. It has a spring loaded plunger that serves as a reverse lockout....that might be what you are looking at?

For a selector rod I am running the Rogue DSSR. I couldn't come up with a way it could really be improved upon, so I stuck with it.

Honestly, I found the DTM shifter to be the worst of all I tried. All the NVH you could imagine, but with no shifting improvement over stock.
              Last edited by Ironhead; 06-05-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Maybe the stops were a recent design change. The installation guide clearly goes through the steps for adjusting all the various stop bolts.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...speed-gearbox/

Comment

^ that's what made me think it had them.

Comment

I have one in my Spec E46 race car, and my E30 M3 street car. LOVE IT!!! FYI for the street car I used Condor poly bushings for the transmission mounts, as rubber mounts will allow too much movement. And I refuse to buy one of the cheaper copycat brands, that's just not cool in such a small niche market.

Comment

Working...
                    X