CAE Ultra shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

Exactly, I have to relearn all my tracks now that I have the GrpA transmission and a shitload more power. I'm not as Jedi like Swernoff is, I missed a bunch of shifts the last outing I had. James Clay when he was driving my car with me riding along (another story for another time!) actually missed a few shifts as well. I am upgrading the shifter for this very reason. I have the vibra technics engine mounts and solid trans mounts so I don't think that was part of it.

T
    I missed a bunch of shifts on Saturday (all downshifts) but really what was happening was I wasn't pulling it over from 5-4 far enough so I ended up shifting from 5-6 a few times instead. Then I couldn't figure out what was going on and I'd just blow the corner til I got it sorted.

Sunday I took my time and spent some time thinking about what I was doing wrong and didn't make any bad shifts on Sunday. Plus, in fairness mine still has some wiggle in it the way I mounted it, so sorting that out will help eliminate my issues -- I think

Comment

I'll ask just because,,, are you guys trying to lift and shift or still using the clutch?
      I will say that when I switched to my dog box I immediately set about shifting without the clutch and my consistency plummeted and I fucked up alot of parts.

I went back to using the clutch and was shocked how much it helped me re-learn how to drive the car.
      The muscle memory of bouncing the clutch pedal helped me get used to the new trans and shifter.
      I found it was too much at once to think of a new shifter, a new shift pattern, new gearing, having dog rings and getting the timing of the lift and shift.

If you are trying it without the clutch go back to clutching and I believe you will lessen the learning curve.
      It helped me alot.

PS: Aaaaaaaand lessening the learning curve will also help preserve those nice sharp corners on your dog rings for when you DO get used to it.
      During all the blown shifts, each missed shift beats up on the dog ring edges just that little bit accelerating the time when its time for a refresh, so save them for when you are fluent in the new setup.
      Last edited by jimmy p.; 05-06-2021, 12:08 PM.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I didn't miss any up shifts, only some down shifts. I was using the clutch to downshift but not to upshift. The up shifting is so quick now, and with only a small rpm drop it's almost hilarious, the car feels totally different.

Comment

Best shifter I've had was taking a Z3 shifter, melting out the rubber, extending the internal rod to make the shifter a bit taller, sealing it up with JBweld then drilling out the bottom (below the ball) with a 14mm bit and then pressing in needle bearings. That combined with a solid rear carrier mount (i.e. the turner motorsport one or more jb) and the akg front carrier bushings makes for the best feeling shifter I have ever felt (better than the chassis mounted solid units). And it looked completely stock because it basically was. The only downside is the stock single shear selector rod is prone to snapping at the 90 degree ends. We had one snap at mid ohio on us and cost us a 1st place finish in 8hr race :(

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
            I didn't miss any up shifts, only some down shifts. I was using the clutch to downshift but not to upshift. The up shifting is so quick now, and with only a small rpm drop it's almost hilarious, the car feels totally different.
            With the dog rings a good rev match on the DS gets it in there easier, without a syncro cones to match the gear speeds I realized I had to get better at my rev match to make the DS smooth.
            That said if you flub the rev match and force it in, its going "in" which leads to some exciting rear axle only braking when you get it wrong LOL.
            You changed alot of shit, its going to take a few days to get up on the learning curve to get comfortable again but all the changes you made were huge upgrades.
            jimmy p.
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

With the dog rings a good rev match on the DS gets it in there easier, without a syncro cones to match the gear speeds I realized I had to get better at my rev match to make the DS smooth.
              That said if you flub the rev match and force it in, its going "in" which leads to some exciting rear axle only braking when you get it wrong LOL.
              You changed alot of shit, its going to take a few days to get up on the learning curve to get comfortable again but all the changes you made were huge upgrades.
              The most noticeable difference for me was that the rpm drop between gears is so minimal that it took way less of a rev to match gears on the downshift. Frankly, it was really fun and added just enough speed to the car to make it feel fresh again.

Comment

Just reread your post and saw you mention 5-6 shift. Which 6 speed are you running, and what diff ratio?

Comment

My GrpA box doesn't have dog rings. Its standard. I just had a sloppy shifter in there and have moved to a new CAE 'type' shifter that is half the price. We will see if its as good.

T

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	1301382 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	1301383

Comment

It's funny all the things I've done trying to improve shifting with my car, starting with having the transmission completely rebuilt by Jim Blanton, assorted shifters ending with the CAE, different fluids, etc. In the end I've come to the conclusion that the stock Getrag is just a slow shifting transmission....slow synchros or whatever. I'm really only happy with mine from 3-4 or 4-3....all the other shifts still seem slower than I would like.

In my other project car I have a Tremec T56 Magnum, it has 700 lb/ft torque capacity, and it shifts vastly better than the Getrag in my M3, both in terms of speed (no synchro lag) and light/precise effort. And of course this is in a car with a torquey V-8 that you really don't need to shift much.

I think the E30M3 would really shine with a six speed sequential, and I keep toying with doing it. But I balk at the cost and suitability of it for a car that is still street driven.

Comment

I'm at the track today and thats how I'm feeling about it too. Overall the CAE feels way better than stock but it's by no means fast, it might even be slower than stock when crossing over the gates, but it makes up for it in feel. 3-4 is great though and it's really nice to have the knob up next to the wheel.

I have a project E30M3 with a T50 in it. I haven't driven it yet but I expect it will be a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                        Just reread your post and saw you mention 5-6 shift. Which 6 speed are you running, and what diff ratio?
                        Samsonas and after one weekend on track I can say it's pretty awesome. I had a 3.73 in it cause my nearby track has very long straights but I think that was a little conservative. I have 8500rpm to work with, should have been more aggressive with gearing. Will try a 3.91 or 4.10 next.

Comment

See I liked the feel of the Getrag trans much more than the Tremec. The Getrag has all its feel and spring loading in the trans the shifter is "stupid".
                          All of the the Tremec family (T4, T5, T56) have nothing in the trans just gears and sliders, the shifting "feel" is all in whatever shifter is attached which are all basically a ball in a socket with a spring loaded cross piece.
                          It took me alot longer to get used to (or happy with) the Tremec feel (or lack of) than I wished. I tried 3 different shifters and then modified the best one (MGW) a little further to make it better.
                          I'm reasonably happy with what I have now.

And yes, a 6 speed sequential is "The Way" for a hot S14 track car which is what I believe Eric is going for and Mike Boedrukker had in his car.

In trying to circumvent the $10,000 cost of a 6 speed sequential, I purchased an S1 sequential shifter for my Tremec to see if I can "cheat" it for $1600 lol.
                          My T5 is a custom G Force build / adaption (1 of 2, Mick has the other one) that we used a unique tail shaft on the build to place the shifter in the ideal location for an E30.
                          The downside to using that tail shaft I am now finding in my quest to use this Sequential Shifter is that it makes the S1 Sequential shifter now a custom install which I have been brainstorming how to install it for a year.
                          I now know what it needs (some custom metal fab that I need to farm out).
                          It would have been done last year if not for Covid and me being out of work for a year. As soon as work returns I'll get that tail shaft adapted to the S1 sequential shifter and I'll get a good test of a good dog ringed, road race 5 speed with sequential shifting.
                          Last edited by jimmy p.; 05-09-2021, 03:07 PM.
                          jimmy p.
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

See I liked the feel of the Getrag trans much more than the Tremec.
                            Reading this makes me wonder if there is a problem with my Getrag that I am not aware of. If you shifted my Getrag, then my T56, I swear there is no way you could possibly prefer the Getrag. I mean, we all have different tastes, but too me the T56 is so far superior there is no comparison.

I think what I hate most about the Getrag is the huge delay...(seems like more than a full second but is probably less) to shift down from 3rd to 2nd.....unless I do some really quick and precise double-clutch rev matching...

Definitely interested to hear how your shifter project works out....
                            Last edited by Ironhead; 05-10-2021, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I love the feel of my GrpA 5 speed box. Of course it was NIB, so that probably helps a ton.

the 3-4 shift on a US trans is shit. The RPM drop is horrendous. On the CR box it is much much better.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

Reading this makes me wonder if there is a problem with my Getrag that I am not aware of. If you shifted my Getrag, then my T56, I swear there is no way you could possibly prefer the Getrag. I mean, we all have different tastes, but too me the T56 is so far superior there is no comparison.

I think what I hate most about the Getrag is the huge delay...(seems like more than a full second but is probably less) to shift down from 3rd to 2nd.....unless I do some really quick and precise double-clutch rev matching...

Definitely interested to hear how your shifter project works out....
                                We may also be taking about separate things. I'm super picky about shifter feel, I wasnt really thinking of engagement feel.
                                My Getrags all "worked" well, but your Tremec probably has the benefit of some newer, better syncro technology that makes it "work" better.
                                Any of the Getrag outside the race boxes suck to use 2nd gear, I have always had to rev match the shit out of it to get it to go in nice.
                                T5 at Summit Point has the potential to be a great 2nd gear corner with an S14, I like using 2nd gear there, but I usually would just lug it out in 3rd because getting the 2nd gear downshift "right" was about a 50% chance on my CR trans.

If you have a box standard T56 you could bolt one of the S1 shifters on tomorrow. I have had mine on my trans but the tail shaft is messing with it.
                                I have had it mocked up on the bench and its an awesome unit. No shit turns an H box into sequential shifting. A syncro box is still a syncro box, but the shifter is now sequential. Its a really creative, well thought out device. I have had mine apart to the component level. Some really amazing though went into it.
                                Last edited by jimmy p.; 05-10-2021, 04:25 AM.
                                jimmy p.
                                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                                X