H&R Sport spring ride height reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall,

BMW defines ride height as the distance from the bottom of the wheel rim to the lip of the fender.

On stock 15" wheels and non SportEvo fenders this distance would be 21 7/8" (556mm) in front and 20 13/16" (529mm) in the rear.

Assuming the results of my search are correct, if you take the stated lowering distances from H&R (1 in front drop, 0.75 in rear drop) your post spring install measurements should be around 20 7/8" in the front and 20 1/16" in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Mark
    1990 M3

Comment

• mlytle
      mlytle commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark! Will check against those numbers when I get back in town.

follow up....
    i took out the stock, flattened, rear spring pads and put new 10mm ones in.

this ended up adding 3/8th inch to the rear ride height. good stuff!

i do have some new 3mm front spring pads that i will eventually put in to replace the stock 9mm ones. that should get the ride height to about perfect (for me).

as much as i like original, did not want to risk messing up the stock wheels (and HATE basketweaves due to the cleaning). so took them off for storage and added some 17in Style 65's with square 215/40 17 P-zero Nero's.

and while out testing, car stopped to visit one of its siblings...(hi Oscar!)

Marshall
    75 M2
    88 M3

Comment

Would you mind sharing the part number for the new 10mm rear spring pads?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
        Would you mind sharing the part number for the new 10mm rear spring pads?
        I pulled the part number straight out of realoem.com.

Marshall
        75 M2
        88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post

I pulled the part number straight out of realoem.com.
          Marshall
          75 M2
          88 M3

Comment

I like the style 65’s, looks good.

Comment

for closure...I took the struts apart again and replaced the 9mm upper spring pads with new 3mm pads. the taller rear and shorter front pads did the trick. measured from the ground to top of wheel arches, height is now 24.0in rear, 24.75in front. this is with stock outside diameter tires (215/40 17).
              Marshall
              75 M2
              88 M3

Comment

So, I am wondering if H&R tweaked things when they changed to the purple springs? I picked up a pair of old style, like new 50406 rear springs for an experiment, and with the thinnest rear pads, I'm at 24" in the rear (roughly 21" fender to 16" rim).

Edit: Which is annoying, because I really wanted to be a little bit lower in the back.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black -
                AST 4100 500/500, Fikse Profil 13
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                - GC
                1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - S50B30,GC/Koni, BBS RX, Peerless Skid, Sway
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - Basket Case

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd
                272 cam, Korman driveshaft, R888s, H&R/Bilstein

sigpic

Comment

what spring pads are you using in the back?
                  Marshall
                  75 M2
                  88 M3

Comment

• nrubenstein
                    nrubenstein commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The thinnest stock pads. 5mm, iirc, top and bottom. They weren't new, either.

I just pulled them and swapped in 440lbs. GC springs. First guess at adjustment got me to 20 7/16" in the rear (16" wheel rim). Which isn't terrible, but maybe a hair lower than I want. I'll tweak that up a hair. Haven't driven it yet, so we'll see.

Here is another reference point FWIW. I installed the H&R Sport springs (50406) along with Bilstein B8 dampers. These are the purplish / blueish colored spring as noted by nrubenstein. For the front strut I used the 3mm upper and lower pads and on the rear I used the 7.5mm pad on the lower arm. There was only one upper rear pad listed on RealOem.com (33531128610) which I used.

My measurements, from the bottom of the wheel opening to the bottom of the wheel (OEM 15x7) is:

Front: 21 5/8"
                  Rear: 20 1/2"

Measuring from the bottom of the wheel opening to the ground (using a 225/50R15 tire) I get:

Front: 25"
                  Rear: 23 7/8"

Based on what I understand to be the OEM ride heights I did not get the advertised 1" front drop and 3/4" rear drop that H&R claims.

Thanks,
                  Mark
                  1990 M3

Comment

Thinnest front spring pads (top and bottom of spring) are 3mm. Part numbers are;

Top: 31-33-1-128-523
                    Bottom: 31-33-1-124-322

1990 M3

Comment

interesting different results. my car, completely original with low miles, original suspension parts and stock size tires, was just under 24.75in in rear. after koni sports and h&r sports was 23.5in rear. that was significantly more drop than advertised. replaced original rear spring pad with 10mm one...now at 24mm.

possibly a difference....Koni vs. Bilstien. billys are strongly charged and "jack up" the suspension a bit as they want to expand. the Koni's do not do this.

and...car loading. are we measuring with gas tanks full or empty? that is a lot of weight right on the rear axle. my tank was a 3/4 for both measurements.
                      Marshall
                      75 M2
                      88 M3

Comment

• mwagner10702
                        mwagner10702 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My measurements were with a 1/2 full fuel tank.

Marshall, I just read this. Whatever else is going on, those struts shouldn't pull themselves back to halfway- they should be fully extended if they're off the car. If you got them from GC I'd give them a call.
                      Dave.
                      76 M2

Comment

Originally posted by irdave View Post
                        Marshall, I just read this. Whatever else is going on, those struts shouldn't pull themselves back to halfway- they should be fully extended if they're off the car. If you got them from GC I'd give them a call.
                        I have installed new Yellow Koni Sport SA's in three different E30's in the last few months. they ALL work the same way. pressurized to half their travel. I have also installed a set in a 2002. same characteristic. all of them were sourced from different vendors.

the Red Koni Sport SA's I got from GC for the E36 M3 were pressurized to full extension, but at nowhere near force that the billy sports I took out were.

the GC Koni DA's i have on my 2002/M2 also normalize at half extension.

useless data point because the dampers totally suck, but the Koni STR-T's in my E46 also were pressurized to half extension.

I have a lot of Koni's.
                        Marshall
                        75 M2
                        88 M3

Comment

Does RRT still have a shock dyno? maybe ask them?
                          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Working...
                          X