M3 DTM Tribute Car Sold @ Sotheby's in Monterey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 DTM Tribute Car Sold @ Sotheby's in Monterey

Henry Schmitt had a garage sale over the weekend selling 3 of 4 cars through Sotheby's Auction. The DTM tribute car brought $78.4K. Too much? Not enough? Good buy?

What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henry'sM3.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	1281491
    Attached Files
    1976 Luigi BMW CSL
    1991 Asahi Kiko E30 M3
    1970 Koepchen 2002
    1968 Hyde Park 2002TA
    1965 TiSA #193
    1960 700 Vintage Racer
    1965 1800Ti Vintage Racer
    1971 NSU 1200 TTS
    www.msportvintage.com

For me it all depends on the hardware on the car and the quality of the build.

If it is truly DTM spec on all the parts, and the cage is up to DTM standard, I think the price is a bargain, but I'm a nerd.

I'm not sure what historic races would allow such a car, since it is a "tribute". Might be hard to find a place to run it, other than just open track days.

Comment

Monterey has allowed tribute cars in. The car I know of ended up being a total cheater car, built from a known street car. (It wasn't an M3) How they got it through tech is beyond me.

Will
      '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
      '88 M3

Comment

its built to the hilt. I have exchanged several emails with him on some hardware he had for sale, and lets just say, the $80k schnitzer motor he had for the Hobbs turbo 320 was just one of many. He built it before he built the turbo to spec for the shake down last year at Monterey for the 100th. His stuff is the real deal. He has many many many things for sale, including a couple 2.5l MS brand new motors for sale.

T

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          Monterey has allowed tribute cars in. The car I know of ended up being a total cheater car, built from a known street car. (It wasn't an M3) How they got it through tech is beyond me.

Will
          I've heard it on good authority that getting into the Monterey Historics is sort of a "who you know" deal. If you know the right person/people they will definitely allow "tributes" in. It really pisses off some of the participants who spend $500K or thereabouts on the purchase and restoration of a car with major history, only to be on the grid next to a guy in a "tribute" he built himself for $20K. Then on the green flag "tribute guy" decides he wants to win the race and starts throwing his replica around at great risk to the millions of dollars worth of cars surrounding him.

Not my first hand experience, just what I heard. I can actually see both sides, as Monterey could definitely stand to be knocked down a few notches on the "haughtiness" scale. But on the other hand, the event would IMHO lose most of its historical appeal if tributes were allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
            its built to the hilt. I have exchanged several emails with him on some hardware he had for sale, and lets just say, the $80k schnitzer motor he had for the Hobbs turbo 320 was just one of many. He built it before he built the turbo to spec for the shake down last year at Monterey for the 100th. His stuff is the real deal. He has many many many things for sale, including a couple 2.5l MS brand new motors for sale.

T
            Oh...is this the same guy who owns the former David Hobbs BMW 320i turbo?

I remember it was for sale unrestored at Canepa Design about 10 years ago. I don't know for certain but I read somewhere that they got $500K for it....around 2010. Most of us have definitely been priced out of the historic racing venue.

Last edited by Ironhead; 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Henry got $731K for it over the weekend. I do know he put a lot of money into it to restore it and build the motor, but after driving it once decided to sell it, mostly due to the almost undriveable turbo lag.
              1976 Luigi BMW CSL
              1991 Asahi Kiko E30 M3
              1970 Koepchen 2002
              1968 Hyde Park 2002TA
              1965 TiSA #193
              1960 700 Vintage Racer
              1965 1800Ti Vintage Racer
              1971 NSU 1200 TTS
              www.msportvintage.com

Comment

Originally posted by SteveWalker View Post
                Henry got $731K for it over the weekend. I do know he put a lot of money into it to restore it and build the motor, but after driving it once decided to sell it, mostly due to the almost undriveable turbo lag.
                I saw an in-car video of that 320i racing at Laguna. It was getting passed by cars like Datsun Zs that should not have been able to touch it. In the day that BMW ran with the top Porsche 935s and often beat them. I remember watching it get second place to Peter Gregg's 935 at Laguna in '78 or '79.

Either it was in a poor state of tune, or it takes a driver on the level of David Hobbs to get the most out of that car. Or both. I sure wish I had that kind of money. I would have loved to own that car.

Comment

Working...
                X