Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Install Schrick 276/284 camshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Schrick 276/284 camshafts

Almost done with rebuild.
    Johnnie is installing the 276/284 camshafts.
    which one goes intake and exhaust?
    And he wants valve clearances.
    thx again.

You and Johnnie are scaring me a little....

Either cam can work on either side. However, Schrick intended the setup to be: Intake - 284 cam with .25mm clearance. Exhaust - 276 cam with .40mm clearance.

HTH
    Last edited by Ironhead; 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Hope you don’t mind me asking some more questions here..
      Friend of mine has purchased 276/284 cams and I will install them when I have time.

Do they have alignment marks same as standard camshafts.
      Is there any clearance issues or any other precautions when installing them on original standard 2.3.
      Thanks, Dave

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

You both are scaring me a little.... Schricks do not have timing marks like stock cams have. They DO have clearance issues if you're not really careful especially with some brands of aftermarket pistons. They really should to be setup with a degree wheel for accuracy and to avoid piston to valve contact! Caution is advised... it's not impossible to bend valves while setting them up!
        Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
        • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
        • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
        • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
        • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
        • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
        • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
        • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
        • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
        • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Ron///Man
          +1

You will have to at least check the clearance between the valves and pistons with those cams. Get some playdoh and a caliper to go with your degree wheel !!!!
          Larry

Comment

Okay thanks I had not done any research on these and from what you saying not advisable to install on original engine with standard pistons while still in the car and head is on.
            Is it the 284 which is the problem if yes is there a safer combination like 264 intake and 276 exhaust which would be straight swap in no worries.

Dave

E30 M3 1987
            Mini Clubman GT
            BMW E36 323 Msport
            Toyota Corona
            KTM 200EXC
            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

To add to what Ron said...my first build used Schrick 284/276 with the ubiquitous Wiseco pistons. I wound up with .065" minimum P-V clearance on the exhaust side. That was with the cams indexed to Schrick specs and with a head/block that had never been milled.

I thought the clearance would be enough...and I guess it was....but when I rebuilt the engine (nothing to do with the cams or P-V clearance) I found unmistakable evidence of exhaust valve contact on the #4 piston. It never caused a problem...but obviously I was on the razor's edge.

I had used Sport Evo valve springs on that build. With more aggressive springs I would probably have been safer.

Comment

I was once told you build the engine around the cam. Fitting bigger cams in an otherwise stock motor has other issues other than just clearance. Our s14s lack torque at the best of times, and a bigger cam = later intake valve closing on compression stroke, meaning your dynamic compression goes down. Less compression = less torque.

I recommend at least 11:1 compression for the 284 Schrick to make the best use of that cam.

Comment

I got some CP pistons with 11:1 (had to wait 7 weeks), Sport EVO valve springs, new valves, same rods, new bearings, rod and crankshaft. New EVO flywheel balanced to crankshaft.

Pic 1 is balancing EVO flywheel with crankshaft
                  Pic 2 is they are shaving .003 off the block
                  Pic 4 is where all this started, the Timing chain guide pin/bolt. Johnnie says he can replace this pin without taking the block apart.

Comment

Hi,
                    What do you mean taking the guide pin bolt out, why would it need to come out? Definitely look to making a good job.
                    I am not 100% on this, I think they balance the crank first then again with the clutch flywheel attached did they mention if the crank was
                    far out, just think the Germans would be spot on in this department.
                    Dave.

E30 M3 1987
                    Mini Clubman GT
                    BMW E36 323 Msport
                    Toyota Corona
                    KTM 200EXC
                    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Worth noting that more often than not the cambox will need some material removed to avoid the 284's cam lobes fouling on the inlet side of the cam box.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarke30 View Post
                        Worth noting that more often than not the cambox will need some material removed to avoid the 284's cam lobes fouling on the inlet side of the cam box.
                        Mine cleared and I have not heard of the 284 causing issues, but definitely the 292 needs work.

Comment

Originally posted by mcubed91 View Post
                          I got some CP pistons with 11:1 (had to wait 7 weeks), Sport EVO valve springs, new valves, same rods, new bearings, rod and crankshaft. New EVO flywheel balanced to crankshaft.

Pic 1 is balancing EVO flywheel with crankshaft
                          Pic 2 is they are shaving .003 off the block
                          Pic 4 is where all this started, the Timing chain guide pin/bolt. Johnnie says he can replace this pin without taking the block apart.
                          Looks great! With those pistons you could use any cams by the looks, nice big valve reliefs.

I went with JE pistons from top end performance, very prompt delivery.

Comment

I resume the trhead ..
                            on my evo2 I mounted the 284 schrick in and 264 evo2 ex
                            schrick recommends a 3.5 mm lift at 106 for 284 (and 3,2 mm for 276). 3,5 mm is it ideal or do you recommend anything else?
                            i ve mahle piston (from john) 11.5 cp
                            you know the 264's lift on the exhaust? (I would still like to timed 100 with the last pulley)
                            I would like to have certainties to communicate to my mechanic
                            thanks

Comment

Anyone please?

Comment

Working...
                              X