S14 to RX8 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 to RX8 6 Speed

I ran across this today. Has anyone ever looked into the pros/cons of this combination? The RX8 gearboxes are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...uide/#comments

This is the first I have heard of it.

Comment

The E30M3's pedigree is the complete package, S14 and a 5 speed (CR or OD). The prices reflect the uniqueness Modifying to a 6 speed is like adding a S52. Interesting exercise but it makes a different car and subsequently less value. I doubt many E30M3s are daily drivers or long distance cruisers so the benefits are lost. This mod would be better suited to a 325is where the value is not dictated on completeness or numbers matching.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by jwbavalon View Post
        The E30M3's pedigree is the complete package, S14 and a 5 speed (CR or OD). The prices reflect the uniqueness Modifying to a 6 speed is like adding a S52. Interesting exercise but it makes a different car and subsequently less value. I doubt many E30M3s are daily drivers or long distance cruisers so the benefits are lost. This mod would be better suited to a 325is where the value is not dictated on completeness or numbers matching.

Just my thoughts.
        I agree for pedigree sakes swapping in a modern box is detrimental, but for purely functional reasons a modern box with better (more surface area synchros) for faster shifting would be great for a track car. My mates track car has a Drenthe sequential 6 speed and it's the quickest NA BMW on a track in Australia. That box has not devalued his car if he were ever to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
          That box has not devalued his car if he were ever to sell it.
          It does depend on the buyer. I personally get a bit disgusted and exhausted with the "all correct/all original" crowd, but the fact is these people do exist, and they certainly have the right to pay their money for the type of car they want.

For me personally, if I was in the market for an M3, the Drenthe would be an enormous plus that I would pay a premium for.

Comment

I realize that most of these cars have become garage queens due to their perceived value. I have a perfectly functioning (non original) CR box in mine, but the gear spacing still isn't what I'd consider ideal. If it were to break, getting parts and finding someone who can properly work on it will be a headache. From what I've read, the benefit to the RX8 gearbox is 1) Price (only a few hundred $ used) and 2) more favorable gear spacing. It seems like the length from the front of the trans to the shifter may be a concern.

I just keep my eyes open for gearbox options. There are options for sequential boxes and aftermarket gear sets, but the prices are astronomical.

Comment

In a world of interesting transmissions, I dunno if I'd pick for that one to adapt. The only real thing it has going for it is ratios and its cheap.
              its way too long, it has an integral bellhousing, its still an H Pattern syncro box, there probably isnt any better parts or repair / rebuilding support for that trans than the Getrag and its over 30 lbs heavier. 30 lbs! No way would I go for a trans that was 30 lbs heavier than a 265 unless I was going to a real sequential.
              For a real race bred sequential I'd take that 30+lb weight hit.

Some of you know I run a Tremec T5 race trans in my race car,,, and that was far from a "perfect" option but it checked more than a few boxes that the RX8 trans misses.
              It weighed the same as a 265, it allowed me to keep the separate bellhousing, it kept the shifter in the same ergonomic location and adapted fairly easy., plus it had great support, straight cut gears, dog rings and was serviceable by a number of people in the US.
              Many people know I've had my share of growing pains / teething issues but I think I would have had that same learning curve with any non-BMW trans.
              Now taking that learning curve forward I feel I can adapt any race trans I want into the car.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

As an owner of a pretty hopped up factory built Miata Cup race car with the same 6 speed transmission, I'm looking to do the opposite conversion, from the stock Aisin 6 speed to a Getrag! The Aisin 6 speed is far far from the quality of a Getrag. Granted, the ratio's are pretty spot-on and they are cheap to buy used, but, their failure rate is ridiculous when used in a race car. Jimmy is 100% right, the Aisin is a TON heavier than a Getrag. They are also a lot longer and will require driveshaft work too. I see no real upside in using one. I think you're making a mistake.
                Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

so what is the best all around solution for this when I make this move in the future with my track car? Right now it will be delivered with a full blown 2.7L, stock 265 and a 4.27 diff.

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
                    so what is the best all around solution for this when I make this move in the future with my track car? Right now it will be delivered with a full blown 2.7L, stock 265 and a 4.27 diff.

T
                    Gr-A 5 speed, Drenth, or you can do like Jimmy did and convert to a Tremic.
                    Ron ///Man

• '94 Spec E36 - Eh....

Comment

Or the Samsonas conversion for the 265 is A++++, not cheap but neither are any of the other options and its a 100% bolt in.
                      Of all the above choices that Ron gave the Tremec is by far the least $, but its also the least refined.
                      The others are orders of magnitude more refined transmissions (but also orders of magnitude more $$).
                      Last edited by jimmy p.; 12-27-2019, 03:56 AM.
                      jimmy p.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                        Or the Samsonas conversion for the 265 is A++++,... .
                        Doh!!! Totally slipped my mind, but yes, def a good choice.
                        Ron ///Man

• '94 Spec E36 - Eh....

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
                          As an owner of a pretty hopped up factory built Miata Cup race car with the same 6 speed transmission, I'm looking to do the opposite conversion, from the stock Aisin 6 speed to a Getrag! The Aisin 6 speed is far far from the quality of a Getrag. Granted, the ratio's are pretty spot-on and they are cheap to buy used, but, their failure rate is ridiculous when used in a race car. Jimmy is 100% right, the Aisin is a TON heavier than a Getrag. They are also a lot longer and will require driveshaft work too. I see no real upside in using one. I think you're making a mistake.
                          I brought this up more for a topic of discussion than anything. I haven't bought parts to do this swap. The idea of alternate transmissions comes up from time to time and I just wanted others to know this has been done.

The transmissions you mention seem to be the go to options, but all of them are pricey (and rightfully so).

Comment

Originally posted by rewilfert View Post

I brought this up more for a topic of discussion than anything. I haven't bought parts to do this swap. The idea of alternate transmissions comes up from time to time and I just wanted others to know this has been done.

The transmissions you mention seem to be the go to options, but all of them are pricey (and rightfully so).
                            Discussion is a good thing!!! Glad you hadn't bought the Aisin yet!
                            Ron ///Man

• '94 Spec E36 - Eh....

Comment

so lets talk custom bell housings/adapters to be made for way less than a tremic, Grp A, Samsonas etc etc. What gearbox would top the list for a custom bell housing to be fabricated for? with todays CNC abilities I would think it would be much easier. Doesn't the late Euro 6 speed that came in the E39 M5 bolt up to our bell housing or something like that? are those gear ratios not ideal?

T

Comment

Working...
                              X