No announcement yet.

S14 to RX8 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran across these guys when I was looking at adapters recently. I’m not sure if they do anything S14 specific, but it gives you an idea of the engine/transmission combinations people have come up with.

I was looking for LSx to BMW transmissions and they had that combo.

https://www.drifthq.com/pages/search...ission+adapter

Comment

I also ran across this:

http://www.22rpd.com/item.php?item=30

For mounting a S6-53 up to M5x and S5x engines. That S6-53 gearbox looks crazy strong (and big, lol).

With all these adapters, it makes me wonder why no one has tried to adapt the S14 up to the S5-31 or 420G gearboxes. Cheap and plentiful compared to the 265.

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
        so lets talk custom bell housings/adapters to be made for way less than a tremic, Grp A, Samsonas etc etc. What gearbox would top the list for a custom bell housing to be fabricated for? with todays CNC abilities I would think it would be much easier. Doesn't the late Euro 6 speed that came in the E39 M5 bolt up to our bell housing or something like that? are those gear ratios not ideal?

T
        The E30M3 bell housing is really easily adaptable. I think its a great starting point for any alternate transmission swap.
        I really feel like any type of custom CNC'd bell housing will probably rival a transmission in cost. Think about the size of it.

Me personally I would never get in bed with any BMW transmission, as they will eventually (or already) have the same issues as the 265, limited people who can / will work on them internally, limited / no parts availability and foremost in my mind is anything "after" the 265 other than the 4 cylinder trannies in the E36s M42 / M44 cars is going to be larger and HEAVY.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

what about the coveted trans that came in the S2000? I haven't delved into it yet as I haven't even driven mine yet to see how it feels on track. It seems though there has to be many newer-ish transmissions from all the 200-250hp 4 bangers out there that would be newer, lighter, 6 speed etc etc that can be adapted

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
            what about the coveted trans that came in the S2000? I haven't delved into it yet as I haven't even driven mine yet to see how it feels on track. It seems though there has to be many newer-ish transmissions from all the 200-250hp 4 bangers out there that would be newer, lighter, 6 speed etc etc that can be adapted

T
            I dont know anything about them. Cant comment, probably shouldnt even had made this post LOL. If its an integral bellhousing trans I'd want nothing to do with it. If its a stand alone trans like the 265, or a Tremec or a G5, etc then I'd at least put it on the table to analyze, but anything wth an integral bellhousing takes away one of the slickest things about the unique 265 in an E30, the lighting fast / easy trans drop / swap / repair. Thats a huge upside in my book.
            I'd be willing to bet it wasnt a happy accident by BMW motorsport. Just like the 2 piece header, all to make things faster / easier.
            jimmy p.
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

The Honda S2000 is not a good choice. Gearbox is 32" long and needs approx 14" wide tunnel for the first 1/3 of the box. After that 10" narrowing down to 8" wide. Plus it is 125 pounds. On a positive note is is like shifting through butter. They do fail and parts are becoming NLA.

I go along with the Tremec as it is used everywhere.

Comment

On this subject, how would a dog gear box be for a street car, in terms of use?

Comment

Originally posted by peteb View Post
                  The wrong tool for the job if you ask me, but it will make all kinds of cool sounding race-car-type noises.
                  If you have ever driven a race dog ring box I cant imagine why anyone would want one on a street car.
                  jimmy p.
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

That's what I thought... It's difficult finding someone to rebuild the dogleg getrag I have now. I see the kits from samsonas and drenth, and thought it might be an avenue to explore.. but the more research I do the more it seems like I'd be spending a ton of money on something I'll ultimately hate. The occasional autocross and hpde don't justify it.

Comment

Pete,

Having driven and owned both, my preference is the dogleg on the street. The car drives smoother and the power is always there if that can be said of a S14 motor. Or you have to work harder to stay in the power band with the US transmission.

Now with that said, I have not driven the dogleg daily as I had with my '91 E30 M3 for 7 years. That was a true love hate relationship when I had to drive stop and go on a daily basis for commuting. It was a chore in those conditions. But once you got out into the open road, no complaints!

1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                      1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                      1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Originally posted by L James View Post

Pete,

Having driven and owned both, my preference is the dogleg on the street. The car drives smoother and the power is always there if that can be said of a S14 motor. Or you have to work harder to stay in the power band with the US transmission.

Now with that said, I have not driven the dogleg daily as I had with my '91 E30 M3 for 7 years. That was a true love hate relationship when I had to drive stop and go on a daily basis for commuting. It was a chore in those conditions. But once you got out into the open road, no complaints!

2 different things, dogleg, which I love, is when first is over and down to the left, out of the "h" pattern. Dog gears are the type of transmission gears and the way they engage without syncros, big teeth basically engaging gears, but depending on the type of gear cut, straight, helical, they whine like crazy. Imagine the noise from the reverse gear when you're backing up quickly, times 10. Im going to make some calls today to see if I can find someone to rebuild mine.

Comment

I would work on finding someone to rebuild the Getrag, you will probably only do it once in your lifetime and its a wonderful transmission.
                          The difference in feel between a Gretag 265 and my Tremec is night and day. The Getrag is a wonderful feeling trans, the Tremec is like driving an old truck.
                          jimmy p.
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

2 different things, dogleg, which I love, is when first is over and down to the left, out of the "h" pattern. Dog gears are the type of transmission gears and the way they engage without syncros, big teeth basically engaging gears, but depending on the type of gear cut, straight, helical, they whine like crazy. Imagine the noise from the reverse gear when you're backing up quickly, times 10. Im going to make some calls today to see if I can find someone to rebuild mine.
                            Does Metric Mechanic still rebuild these?

Comment

Originally posted by rewilfert View Post

Does Metric Mechanic still rebuild these?
                              I emailed... I didn't have time to call... looks like price went up...like everything else with these!

Comment

The reason I moved away from it for the race car was three-fold (1) lack of people to work on them, (2) Parts are hard to get and expensive and (3) race parts are even more hard to get and even more expensive.

You should check with guys like Mario, Don and Marc about alternative rebuilders to MM.
                                They may have other guys who are under the radar.

When I developed my relationship with GForce the guys who built my T5 I asked them if they ever did a Getrag and they said they had, but siad something along the lines of "yeah I'll never do that again".
                                He said {paraphrasing) that its a great transmission but its one of those trans that needs to be done alot and if you do it alot its not bad, but if you are not set up for them its a complete pain in the ass compared to simpler trans like Tremec, Borg Warner, Doug Nash, etc.
                                He said there were specific tools and fixtures that guys who do them all the time have that many other trans builders do not have or have to improvise and that makes it harder.

jimmy p.
                                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                                X