Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Anyone used this M3 specific OE replacement pump from Walbro? 488-GCL603

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone used this M3 specific OE replacement pump from Walbro? 488-GCL603

    https://walbrofuelpumps.com/bmw-m3-1...-cyl-2-3l.html

  • #2
    Be real careful, since the M3 has 2 fuel pumps. You must figure out what exactly you are getting.
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 01-07-2020, 07:30 AM.

    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, it makes more sense to me to delete the external and just run a high pressure in-tank, but Im hesitant as there's no real definitive solution. I've read all the threads on here but most are quite old now so was just wondering if anything had changed. Noticed no one had mentioned the one I posted above.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would hope that it's a drop in plug and play unit complete with carrier. That would perfect but we don't know unless we see it. Are you willing to take a chance at it? $100 isn't bad.
        Last edited by Reelizmpro; 01-07-2020, 08:05 AM.

        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


        Comment


        • #5
          description says high pressure EXTERNAL pump. sounds like just a replacement for the bosch hp pump above the fuel filter.
          75 M2
          88 M3

          Comment


          • #6
            So it does.. Was looking at it late last night. haha. Forget it - Bosch has the external replacement for around that price anyway.

            Comment


            • #7
              Buy an in-tank pump for the 325is and the in-line pump isn't needed. It is for 3 bar systems. The connector at the pump may be different. The 2 pump system is a growth idea form the 2 bar systems where 3 bar pumps hadn't become available yet. Max fuel use for a 325is is greater than for the S14 so the demand is easily met. 2 pumps means twice the probability of a pump problem. Power for the 2 pumps passes thru a single fuse anyway so no wiring fuse upgrading is necessary.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JimK View Post
                Buy an in-tank pump for the 325is and the in-line pump isn't needed. It is for 3 bar systems. The connector at the pump may be different. The 2 pump system is a growth idea form the 2 bar systems where 3 bar pumps hadn't become available yet. Max fuel use for a 325is is greater than for the S14 so the demand is easily met. 2 pumps means twice the probability of a pump problem. Power for the 2 pumps passes thru a single fuse anyway so no wiring fuse upgrading is necessary.
                Problem with that is the assembly is slightly different. It doesn't have a nipple for the fuel return hose since the return is on the tank on the 88-91 325. This is why many simply retrofit a Walbro or similar pump into the existing assembly on the M3.

                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


                Comment


                • #9
                  I forgot about the nipple for return on the 325 pump, but the 318is pump does have it and the pump proper is the same pump for both cars.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JimK View Post
                    I forgot about the nipple for return on the 325 pump, but the 318is pump does have it and the pump proper is the same pump for both cars.
                    That's what I did on mine, launch both pumps and just use the 318is cage and pump. Mines only a road car not for the track................

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So does the later E30 fuel pump drop right into an M3 with the early fuel pump? Or is there some modification required?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        the 318iS pump fits perfectly. both cars use the same tank. need to replace the big low pressure hose with an 8mm HP hose.
                        75 M2
                        88 M3

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                          the 318iS pump fits perfectly. both cars use the same tank. need to replace the big low pressure hose with an 8mm HP hose.
                          What do you do with the external fuel pump then?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Crank View Post

                            What do you do with the external fuel pump then?
                            put it in your spare parts bin.
                            75 M2
                            88 M3

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mlytle View Post

                              put it in your spare parts bin.



                              Haha, cool, so you just pull it and that’s that, huh?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X