Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Evo Rear Spoiler Settings

Hello,

I recently purchased a OEM Sport Evo Rear Spoiler and gurney flap. I have a question about the flap settings. As I understand it, there are three positions

1. Monza
    2. Normal
    3. Nurburgring

On the spoiler, there are a total of 12 bolt holes and on the flap, there are 8. When I set the sopiler to Monza or Normal, I can use all (8) bolts. It appars that if I want to set it to Nurburgring, I would end up using only (4) bolts, which seems like it would not hold up to a high downforce. Is that correct or is there a different, more aggressive flap for the Nurburgring settings? i did some research on S14.net but couldn't find anything but photos of the three positions.

Thanks!
    sigpic
    Sash K
    '88 BMW M3
    '72 BMW 3.0CS
    '04 330Xi 6-spd
    '90 Ford F-150 4WD

Unless you are drastically exceeding DTM racing speeds of the early 90s through a rainstorm, I'm betting it'll perform as designed.

Comment

At the end of the day, set it how you like it to look, unless you are racing the car you will never notice it at any setting, and if you are racing the car you just might notice it adds time to your laps because of the added drag.

The Evo extension was a patch they did later in the car's racing lifespan to attempt to get more downforce out of a wing they already had homologated.
      The cost of the added flap at higher extensions was lots of drag. The Evo3 flap at full extension adds significant drag measurable drag in lap times when used on cars withoutt the 330+ hp of the Gruppe A cars.

On the Gruppe A cars they had over 330HP to overcome that added drag and they were chasing every 1/10th of a second, as by the time the Evo3 homologations came online both Mercedes and Audi had really caught up to the E30M3 and had the M3s number.
      The car's real glory years were mostly all in the original homologation configuration (stock wing, 2.3 lites).
      Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-12-2020, 07:35 PM.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thank you guys for your input. Really appreciate it.

I don’t really plan on racing the car at this time but do want to take it out to some track events.

My concern is if the flap is set to the Nurburgring setting, I can only use 4 of the 8 hex bolts. Is this as intended? At higher speeds, do I risk damage to the flap since I cannot used the remaining 4 bolts?

I have seen aftermarket spoilers with 16 bolt holes so that the flap can be set to the Nurburgring setting and use all 8 bolts.

sigpic
        Sash K
        '88 BMW M3
        '72 BMW 3.0CS
        '04 330Xi 6-spd
        '90 Ford F-150 4WD

Comment

what Jimmy said. for an occasional track day, it ain't gonna make a difference on a track what setting you have it on performance wise. so if you are uncomfortable with the mounting system, just put it on a setting with more bolts....
          Marshall
          75 M2
          88 M3

Comment

mlytle Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it. Agree that it wont make a difference on the track in terms of performance. I will give it a test and see what happens.
            sigpic
            Sash K
            '88 BMW M3
            '72 BMW 3.0CS
            '04 330Xi 6-spd
            '90 Ford F-150 4WD

Comment

good on ya for using the car as intended....on a track!!!!!!
              Marshall
              75 M2
              88 M3

Comment

what if you do have 300+ HP but don't want to go to the typical huge aero wing (yet lol). Is there an appreciable downforce in high speed corners with it in the ring setting? My home track (VIR), has several very high speed (100mph+) sections (with a 2.3l and 200hp) where downforce would be appreciated, BUT there are two VERY long straights. Test and data log I guess lol

T

Comment

HANDBLT I guess I will be the test subject for this. Still seems a little odd that you can set the flap to Nurburgring setting and only use 4 bolts, while the other to settings use all eight.
                  sigpic
                  Sash K
                  '88 BMW M3
                  '72 BMW 3.0CS
                  '04 330Xi 6-spd
                  '90 Ford F-150 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
                    what if you do have 300+ HP but don't want to go to the typical huge aero wing (yet lol). Is there an appreciable downforce in high speed corners with it in the ring setting? My home track (VIR), has several very high speed (100mph+) sections (with a 2.3l and 200hp) where downforce would be appreciated, BUT there are two VERY long straights. Test and data log I guess lol

T
                    There is some data in the SIG archives on this.
                    Years ago when the car was still being actively club raced some Northeast track guys did some testing of all the wing settings (and no wing at all).
                    Its been a few years since I read it, the test was done at Watkins Glen (similar to VIR in many ways) the test car actually slowed down the more wing they put in.
                    I think the fastest lap times were with the wing completely removed (at the cost of driver confidence), so what I remember was the take away was that leave the wing on, but add as little flap as possible because it adds alot of drag.

When I had my stock wing type I think I ran it in the middle setting, the car felt good, but I knew from reading those posts that I was probably giving something up on the straights.
                    Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-13-2020, 12:47 PM.
                    jimmy p.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

That's been my experience as well. I used to keep my flap in the middle setting. One day at Mosport I noticed one of the bolts loose so I decided to remove the flap entirety and my lap times improved. Entry to turn 8 was very sketchy thought.

Comment

I actually lowered the wing height before my last track day and there's a high speed turn that also drops a good 10 feet and the car felt loose. Next time I go back I'll raise it again and see if I get the same feeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X