Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

E30 M3 strut tower dimensions/sagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 strut tower dimensions/sagging

Hey guys,
    as many of you know, the E30's seem to sag and crack the strut towers over time.
    I'm trying to restore mine to the stock dimensions.

It seems that the center-to-center distance between the struts should be 1002.2mm +-2mm
    I need to get the dimensions between the strut towers and the middle windshield wiper mounting bolt. Effectively using all 3 dimensions i can have the body shop get it back to spec.
    Does anyone have these dimensions?
    Thanks

e30 m3; euro S50B32 twin-turbo'd

1002.2 is the factory published distance. Are you looking for a measurement from the left side to the center wiper mounting bolt, and the right side to the same point? Or are you looking for a measurement for and aft, essentially mounting bolt forward to an imaginary line running left/right from the center of the shock towers? (Giving you a known distance from the firewall to the center of the strut towers)

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      1002.2 is the factory published distance. Are you looking for a measurement from the left side to the center wiper mounting bolt, and the right side to the same point? Or are you looking for a measurement for and aft, essentially mounting bolt forward to an imaginary line running left/right from the center of the shock towers? (Giving you a known distance from the firewall to the center of the strut towers)

Will
      The former, from the strut towers to the center mounting bolt.

Comment

These should help
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	1285524

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	1285525

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	1285526

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	1285527

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	1285528

Comment

Thank you very much! That'll surely come in handy. I wonder though in the first pic, the dimension "P" for the strut distances is 488.5*2=977, i wonder what that's about, it has a pic of a car at the top with wheels on it, and the chassis only crossed out, maybe that's the dimension with the car on the ground and the struts come closer to eachother

Comment

looks like the strut width distances above are all made from the outer bolt holes. much easier reference point than the "center". 1100mm loaded. 1102mm unloaded.
            75 M2
            88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
              looks like the strut width distances above are all made from the outer bolt holes. much easier reference point than the "center". 1100mm loaded. 1102mm unloaded.
              Don't you mean 1110 and 1112mm?

Comment

Originally posted by liquidtension View Post

Don't you mean 1110 and 1112mm?
                ahh, yes! just checking to see if anyone else was doing the math.....
                75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

Working...
                X