Wilwood 6 piston e36 m3 brakes on our E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilwood 6 piston e36 m3 brakes on our E30 M3

I know anything can be done, how feasible is this? Without looking into a very much does anybody know off the top of their heads what the mods would be to get this to happen.
    Asking for a friend
    1989 E30 M3 DD
    2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
    facebook.com/Lumanikus

more clarity in your question would help. wilwood makes a lot of calipers. serveral fit on an e36. most of them also fit on an e30. it all depends on the rotor size, thickness, caliper type, etc. what are "wilwood e36 brakes"?

why not use known wilwood e30m3 kits like Lee offers?
    75 M2
    88 M3

Comment

Big question are you using E36 struts or E30M3 struts?
      If E36 struts its a bolt on, you just need to switch to E36 offset wheels. Many people have done this with the cost / scarcity of E30M3 struts. You just need all new wheels if you are heaviliy invested in E30M3 offset wheels.

If E36 brake kit onto E30M3 struts thats probably going to take more reverse engineering than its worth to get the bracket and hat offset correct if its even possible, then figure out what wheels to use..
      There are a wealth of E30 M3 to Wilwood kits as Marshall suggested.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
        Big question are you using E36 struts or E30M3 struts?
        If E36 struts its a bolt on, you just need to switch to E36 offset wheels. Many people have done this with the cost / scarcity of E30M3 struts. You just need all new wheels if you are heaviliy invested in E30M3 offset wheels.
        FWIW -- I swapped my race car to e36 struts and continued to use my 15x8 et22 Kosei K1 wheels with no problems. No spacers required, fit inside the fender and clear all necessary components as intended

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post

FWIW -- I swapped my race car to e36 struts and continued to use my 15x8 et22 Kosei K1 wheels with no problems. No spacers required, fit inside the fender and clear all necessary components as intended
          That is really interesting. What size wheels & tires were you using? I think I sorta remember us talking about this, but I may have killed those brain cells.
          Were they E36M or non M struts?
          So did the front track widen using the lower ET wheels?
          How far out did it push the front wheels.
          I would love the option of switching to E36 struts when / if needed, but I'm heavily invested in 15 x 8 ET22 wheels.
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

That is really interesting. What size wheels & tires were you using? I think I sorta remember us talking about this, but I may have killed those brain cells.
            Were they E36M or non M struts?
            So did the front track widen using the lower ET wheels?
            How far out did it push the front wheels.
            I would love the option of switching to E36 struts when / if needed, but I'm heavily invested in 15 x 8 ET22 wheels.
            Yeah, we did discuss a while ago. I don't have specifics as to how much the track widened -- I did it for ease and simplicity of parts moving forward as the m3 struts are either really expensive on the second hand market or just not available. If I booger up an e36 strut for any reason it's an easy bolt on replacement. I have no intention of parking this race car!

I used e36 m3 knuckles and custom adapted a Massive e36 BBK to use 11.75" rotors for the struts so I could use my 15" wheels and keep the massive BBK. The only negative I have is excessive negative caster. I has to move the caster out for the wheel to clear the inside of the fender and the sideskirt. All in all, the Kosei with 225/50/15 Hoosier R7's sits a tick inside the fender arch and has more clearance on the strut housing than with the e30 m3 struts. Best part is I now have Motion Control shocks and it's been an enlightening difference for me as to what real racing shocks can do!

Motor and subframe out of car a while, but when it's back together I can get you some measurements if you want

Biggest issue I had come to think of it was that the tie rod casting had to be rounded over about 3/16" for clearance where the ball joint goes into the e36 knuckle. I'd like to upgrade to spherical joint tie rods but I believe I'll need 17" wheels to clear the joint assembly -- I'm not ready for that rabbit hole yet
            Last edited by 1990m3; 03-21-2020, 03:11 AM.

Comment

You can gain some caster by using 96+ M3 control arms

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post

Best part is I now have Motion Control shocks and it's been an enlightening difference for me as to what real racing shocks can do!
                MCS stuff is really nice. It's difficult to explain to people how different it really is. I'm looking at my second set once I swap over to e36 (non M) front end parts. (Side note; I spoke with them about building their 2 way non remote into the e30m3 strut, they doubt it would be possible, although they did a set like that for me in my tii...)

I'll be interested to see if I can keep using the K1s.

Dave.
                76 M2

Comment

Originally posted by irdave View Post

MCS stuff is really nice. It's difficult to explain to people how different it really is. I'm looking at my second set once I swap over to e36 (non M) front end parts. (Side note; I spoke with them about building their 2 way non remote into the e30m3 strut, they doubt it would be possible, although they did a set like that for me in my tii...)

I'll be interested to see if I can keep using the K1s.
                  why the non M? helps with the caster issue?

T

Comment

Yeah, thanks to the discussion here, I've concluded I'm going with a preexisting bolt-on BBK. Lee has a rally kit that looks good, IE has a kit, and Ceika...
                    One thing at a time, rear-wheel bearings...
                    I'm bringing the M back this year, it's about time I moved it to weekend glory status, its been a true beast.
                    1989 E30 M3 DD
                    2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
                    facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

why the non M? helps with the caster issue?

T
                      Because I don't want to have to use 17" wheels. Fifteens already are pretty big on my car- '76 2002 shell with e30m3 everything else. And I don't think I need that big of brakes- my car is currently 2500 pounds on the scales. And it's cheaper, easier to come by- less special...
                      Dave.
                      76 M2

Comment

Originally posted by Lumanikus View Post
                        Yeah, thanks to the discussion here, I've concluded I'm going with a preexisting bolt-on BBK. Lee has a rally kit that looks good, IE has a kit, and Ceika...
                        One thing at a time, rear-wheel bearings...
                        I'm bringing the M back this year, it's about time I moved it to weekend glory status, its been a true beast.
                        We have a group buy going for the Rallye kit, which is the ONLY way to buy due to low demand. Ceika has some really bad reviews that I've seen - straight up not fitting and low quality parts issues. IE's kit looks OK, but they use non-floating rotors and a lower line of caliper.

Sign up for the Massive Group Buy by adding your name to the list here:
                        https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ive-rallye-bbk

We are getting there (and I will buy two kits if I have to), but at this point, I kind of doubt that Lee will ever make these again.
                        2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
                        Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
                        Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

Working...
                        X