Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

S14 DIY Head Gasket??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 DIY Head Gasket??

Has anyone done the head gasket on their S14 themselves?

Yes....many here have...

Comment

Any tips or pointers before getting into it & is there a step-by-step from anyone who has done it? Obviously going to take the head to a machine shop to have checked out & decked off needed. Thx

Comment

It's very straightforward...honestly just like any other 4 cylinder engine. Make sure you follow the proper head bolt loosening/tightening procedure. The only unique
        "S14" element I can think of, is you want to apply a thin layer of sealant of your choice around the small area of the gasket (both sides) where it goes around the timing chain...to prevent oil leaks there down the road.

You have to be careful removing the cams...or you can break them.

I don't know of anyone doing a "step by step" on this forum, but your best resource would be a factory service manual for the car. If you are new to wrenching on engines, you will need some sort of resource.

Comment

Cool thanks for the feedback! Been working on E30’s since my first 318i in ‘93 so very familiar w/ them, but never had to really tear into an engine like this before. I was able to find a Bentley guide on removing & installing the S14 head, so hopefully that will be useful. Stinks that the Bentley E30 service manual doesn’t cover the M3/S14. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

For a manual, I suggest the Koala E30 M3 CD-ROM Repair Manual and it is still available at Turner Motorsports.

Comment

If you keep your eye open people sell the factory manuals from the original micro fiche on ebay. I just bought a set not too long ago. Gets into bonding new panels and everything a service center may encounter. Combine that with a bentley and it usually covers the bases. It's just a lump of iron with bits bolted to it, don't let it frighten you.

Comment

Sweet thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

as I understand the only 2 specific tools needed is
                  1-cam instal tool
                  2-valve adjusting <compresion >tool

Comment

Originally posted by Ertech View Post
                    as I understand the only 2 specific tools needed is
                    1-cam instal tool
                    2-valve adjusting <compresion >tool
                    You don't need the cam installation tool if you are very careful/slow/methodical pulling and installing the cams.

Comment

The engine build threads in this forum have tons of information even though they're not step-by-step guides. That's what helped me put the motor together.

Couple things to watch for.

Note the orientation of the timing chain idler gear. In case your shop removes it when cleaning the head, you'll know how to put in back
                      Change the o-rings between the head and cam tray, esp the little one for oil passage near cylinder #1

It's good to check the valve lash before taking the top end apart. In case you need adjustment, you'll know what shims to install when buttoning things up. You won't need the valve adjusting tool in this case

GL

Comment

Also check the oil squirter jet is installed on the block when the head is off. Remove both dowels and clean block surface with a good sharpening stone. Blow out all the headbolt holes with compressed air before installing. Slightly lube headb thread and washers with oil. Use the special locktite sealant for the camtray to head. Pull the head off and refit it with the headers still bolted to the head.

Just some tips off the top of my head that have worked for me for the last 26 years doing head gaskets.

Also I use a hylomar spray on the head gasket before installation. Let it tack off before install.

ARP head studs can't hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                        X