Anyone with slight oversteer set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with slight oversteer set up?

I have a stock setup and love the handling but there are times I wish I can rotate the car more easily. Does anyone have experience with slight oversteer set up and feel is better? Anyone try unhooking the front sway bar? There isn't much else I can do to the suspension.

The E30 M3 is inherently stable as most road cars are designed to be for obvious reasons. In a constant throttle, adding more lock will end in understeer. Unless it is wet, you have lots of torque or you're in a low gear, power oversteer is not really an option as adding power in a turn transfers weight to the rear, and due to the geometry of the semi-trailing arms we get added camber and toe in with wheel travel.

So we are relient upon weight transfer to rotate the car. Turning in on a trailing throttle unloads the rear, removing toe in and camber, and loads the front end.

Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I don't bother with power oversteer since my car is all stock but I do find it hard sometimes to rotate even with trailbraking. The canyons I drive have some very tight corners and I can't get it to rotate easily. Figured if front sway is smaller or removed, it may help with that. I have a fd rx7 and a 993 and I can get those to rotate easily with trailbraking. Would love to be able to do that with the e30.

Comment

You may want to enroll in a performance driving school to learn the finer points of driving your M3. Disconnecting the front sway bar isn't the answer, learning how to properly drive and control your car is.
        1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

First off, what are your suspension settings? Toe, camber, caster and spring rate? What anti-sway bars do you have?

I'm running about -2 degrees camber, as much caster as I can get, 0 toe with Turner J stock springs (640/1080 lb spring rates) 27mm front anti sway bar, stock rear. The car is totally neutral, point and shoot. Too hot, lift off the throttle just a touch, the nose will tuck in, otherwise neutral throttle or on the throttle early gives perfect turn in. There is no understeer unless its wet and I blew the entry to the corner.

Will
          '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
          '88 M3

Comment

I can't find my spec sheet but it has maximum allowable front camber and caster. I don't have camber plates. They're stock springs and koni shruts. I don't have problem with turn in and it is very neutral but I'm seeing if it's possible to make it easier to induce oversteer to get that extra rear slip angle. There isnt much else I can do to the car than maybe using hand brake to break the rear loose. It may not always be the quickest around a corner but it's a great sensation to feel the car rotate around a sharp corner.

Comment

Buy crappy rear tires and overinflate?
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Interesting read. The Honda S2000 crowd would love to control oversteer or more correctly snap oversteer which puts you into the guard rail. Myself, I enjoy the feeling of being on rails when cornering and being in full control. I'm on Mwagner's side and a performance course did wonders to know how the car performs.
                Be safe.

Comment

Funny. I've done plenty of track days with the S2000. That car teaches you to be smooth with your input. I'm sure a thicker front bar would have curbed some of that oversteer. The car in stock set up was rather numb and it was difficult to push it. I do love the way the e30 handles and it's the fastest canyon car for me. Just wouldn't mind able to induce little oversteer at will more easily.

Comment

Rear spring rate 150% to 160% the front rate. Rear swaybar at softest setting. Maximum camber at the front. You can fine tune with rear tire pressure. More air = more oversteer.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

Thanks all. Will try playing w tire pressure more.

Comment

I can't quote on my work browser, but regard to what Lee writes, the stock spring rates are 300% stiffer at the rear (100lb/in Fr/300Lb/in Rr) but, as a result of the motion ratio the rear wheel rates are 22% stiffer (87/123). Stiffer springs at the rear would help as would stiffer low speed damping in compression.
                        Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

You are correct RGNLM3, driving a S2000 teaches you to be smooth with your input. Going into a curve too fast, the S2000 does not do well if you unload the rear and will almost always bring the rear around where more forgiving cars might hang in and scrub off speed.

Sorry for the diversion, now back to the S14 discussion.

Comment

Many years ago, in the middle of a spirited drive the front sway bar mount off the right strut housing ripped out. I was initially upset, but I was in no rush to fix it as the car was actually a lot of fun with no front sway bar... significantly lower limits, but a lot of fun.

Just beef up you rear bar a bit without going crazy. But, I had fun ONLY because the limits were lower and the rear would come around at 30-40mph on on ramps... I would have enjoyed the oversteer less at higher speeds.
                            Narayan

Comment

Working...
                            X