Vibra-Technic motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibra-Technic motor mounts

I'd been casually looking for a better motor mount for my track car for a while. What I knew of the available options:
    - Stock = Too soft.
    - 5 series (which I'm running now) = Still too soft, shorter than stock, and offset studs. The big downside to these for me is the height. I've had to shim them quite a bit in order to get my 18cm airbox to clear my master. If they were harder I might be ok shimming them less.
    - Group N = Seem close to ideal for me but I balked at the price.
    - Poly mounts = I haven't seen any of these that I feel confident in. They look to me like they would suffer shear failure.
    - Delrin = May as well go solid
    - Solid = Probably fine, but I would prefer some dampening to save stress on the subframe

I'd only seen these Vibra-Technic mounts mentioned once on the site and couldn't find any first-hand feedback. Reviews across the web of their other, non-BMW, mounts looked good so I thought I would take a flyer on them.

https://www.vibra-technics.com/bmw/e...e_m3_and_320is

I haven't installed them yet, but on unboxing they look good. I'll follow up once I've had a chance to run them in.

Great find. Looks like they also have an uprated street mount for those who don't track their cars but want a stiffer than OEM motor mount.
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

I also cant wait to hear your VibraTechnic review Mick. I have seen them before but never made a move on them.
      You pretty much nailed all the motor mount options down.
      As you wrote The S14 doesnt have alot of good options.
      I have run a few of the options on your list and none of them were "just right".

For archival purposes the one thing you left off your list were Conrad's Gruppe A reproductions.
      Those are the gold standard for E30M3 engine mounts, but obviously at considerable cost even more than the crazy price of the Gruppe N mounts.
      I have a set in my race car and they are perfect. Goldilocks. Just Right.

If Conrad's didnt exist I'd still be running solid. Just bring many tubes of Red Loctite.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Installed these today. It was a little bit of a pain because the studs are quite a bit longer than stock mounts. I was able to lift the motor high enough on the drivers side to get that one in. On the passenger side I needed to remove the mount arm. I also had to cut down the top stud on that side in order for the small heat shield to clear.

My airbox now clears with room to spare though. I also feel better knowing my drive line is back in alignment. In Gustave's motor mount article he notes that because the 540 mounts drop the motor and move it rearward there's a weight distribution benefit. I understand the thinking, but I never liked the idea that the front of the drivelne is dropped. I would think that would cause it to pivot on the transmission x-member, raising the output shaft, and putting unnecessary stress on the center bearing. Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by Mick; 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

You are missing the part that when you lower the engine with 750 mounts, you have to also drop the trans mount a little and slide it back slightly. Bam... Driveline/guibo aligned. No issues.
          75 M2 Zinno
          88 M3 Henna

Comment

From the 2 piece look of the aluminium part I take it that vibratechnics designed them such that the rubber inside is never under tension but always in compression. Which is the only way to make them last.
            UweM3 had pictures of such a design when he replaced his S14 with an S50 back in the day but unfortunately they don"t show anymore (https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...621#post726621 ).
            Found the drawing using google (UweM3 Icehockey Engine Mount)

Under tension (driver's side mount) the rubber in the middle is under compression and the outer ones are relaxed. Under compression it's the other way around.

Comment

Follow up on these:
              I've run them for 3 track events without issue. I don't notice much difference in vibration but I did notice that my sifter dances around less under braking. Seems these handle lateral loads better than the OE design, which is expected given the design.

Comment

I've been running the Vorshlag 70's on mine. A bit hard but bearable. Would love to find an alternative that lowers the engine a bit too as I run the 17cm CF box. How to you find these in comparison with the standard ones vibration wise?
                Cheers
                Aaron

"But most of all...
                ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

I didn't notice much difference from the 5 series mounts I was running, maybe a little harsher. It's hard to tell because it's a track car and everything buzzes and rattles.
                  Vibra-Technics does make a softer version https://www.vibra-technics.com/bmw/e30

Comment

Thanks Mick. So you say they drop the engine enough to clear the longer runners on the CF airboxes? I might give them a go

"But most of all...

Comment

They are the same height as stock mounts, so they won't drop your engine at all.

I was having trouble with my 18cm box hitting the brake master cylinder when using the shorter 5 series mounts, so I needed my motor raised back to stock height.

Where are you having clearance issui?

Comment

Front of the CF box hitting the underside of the bonnet.

"But most of all...

Comment

You can see the tape I have on top to protect it. I've cut away some of the bracing on the hood and I've also adjusted the hinges for clearance.

"But most of all...

Comment

I guess the Vorshlag mounts are standrad height anyway....and fall apart after a few years...literally !!!!

"But most of all...

Comment

Good review, Thanks Mick. The market was in need for a good "Goldilocks" S14 sporting engine mount (not too hard, not too soft, juuuuuust right).
                              jimmy p.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                              X