Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Engine Oil

Hi All,

I have run out of my stash of Mobil 1 15w-50 and need to change the oil. What’s the modern day recommendation. I have been advised to go for Fuchs Pro S which is 15w-50. Appreciate any recommendations

Oh dear... Not another oil thread.
    75 M2
    88 M3

Comment

• Adrian
      Adrian commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops apologies!

Danger Will Robinson!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1290152
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
      oh dear... Not another oil thread.
      lol....nnnnoooooooooooooo!!!!

Comment

Castrol 10W60 but I'm not up to date with their current product range with that viscosity (range).
        Motul 300V COMPETITION 15W50

Comment

​​​​​​
          Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
          Castrol 10W60 but I'm not up to date with their current product range with that viscosity (range).
          Motul 300V COMPETITION 15W50
          Troll...
          75 M2
          88 M3

Comment

Hi,

Oil is no Magic, brand of oil is no magic as well.

The Magic is in the additives. The most important is to have around 1200ppm+ of zddp Zink (Dialkyldithiophosphate) and Molybdenum Disulfide and about min of 500ppm+. These facts are based on Motul Race Competition series test I have done with BlackStone lab. Based on the fact of Motul Race series I trust the numbers of ppm is good enough for track engine and hi abuse. 1 liter of Motul competition is one expensive oil..

NASCAR engines do run about 1800-2200ppm of zink.

Due to cost between the Mineral oil say 15W40 diesel oil and say 10W-60 Luquil Moly the difference is micro so my personally use 10W-60 Liquil Moly or Motul 10W-60. Liquil Mouly containes about 700ppm of Zink differers from the batch to batch some times it will be in the range go 900ppm. Very poor on Molybdenum contain is zero.

So what I do is, Red Line brake in ZDDP 16qz contains 2000ppm of Zink and I divide that on 4 portions. Liquil Moly MoS2 contains around 4000ppm of Molybdenum. Each oil change I maintain around 1200ppm of Zink and about 600 of moly.

I see no problem with using also say Shell Rotella 15W40 Mineral oil for diesel engines which is hi on detergents and add Zink and Moly to the aim target of 1200-600.

I have custom grid camshaft and also on my other engines I use Schrick. The camshaft lobes look like Photoshopped shiny and clean without absolute any scores.

Given my personal choice of Rod Bearing clearance I will never ever go anything less than 15W50 or 10W60, 20W50 is fine but will be the last on the list.

Oil temp is part of this game you don't want the oil to be near the flash point of were it will start shredding...

One can get Moly in Powder and add that the oil https://www.acsmaterial.com/molybden...s2-powder.html

Red Line oil 10W60 is very good off the shelf and one does not need to add additives, I have done BlackStone on that oil as well. Also the RedLine 10W60 runs on the thicker side of the spectrum.

Regards,
            Anri

sigpic

- 1990 E30 M3 DS Shwartz S38-B36 (3.6) Sold ! But never forgotten.
            - 1990 E30 M3 DS Euro S38-B38 3.8 340hp. I promise, I will hide the 2 cyl under the dash which "Engine King". Mr. Paul Rosche took away to make the S14...
            - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Track Toy S38-B36 Goal is close to 50/50 I pushed the engine almost 15 inches for weight distribution will see...
            - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Natur, Daily driver.
            - S38 is an addiction, enthusiastic manner and the perfect match for my E30 M3.

Comment

I have used Fuchs Pro S which is 15w-50. for the past 14 years and on dismantling the engine recently I was pleasantly surprised at the wear and condition of the bearings and other critical parts of the engine. Based on this I would recommend you won’t go too far wrong with Fuchs Pro S which is 15w-50.

Comment

I'm the same as Kundiboy. It used to be called Silkolene ProS, but they were bought out by Fuch and is now called Fuchs Titan Race Pro S Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

All oils have an API Specification https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Ce...ide%202020.pdf

As emission and service durations requirements have progressed, some of the additives in engine oils which are deemed not good for you health have been progressively reduced. Back in the mid 80s, API SE/SF were the standard. However, you can no longer buy these obsolete oils, so the only option we have is to buy the oldest spec oil - in our case API SH - available in the correct weight.

Sooner or later, these will also become obsolete.

Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...-older-engines

https://www.utterpower.com/epa-pushi...t-of-lube-oil/

I have done quite few tests at BlackStone, Castrol 10W60, Motul 10W60, Luquil Moly 10W60, Mobil 15W50 Red Cap, Liquil Moly 5W-40 all of these oils do contain ZDDP under 1000 matching the EPA regulations somewhere between 700-850ppm of zddp.

There is oil that is produced by Mobil which absolute not known to US people. Mobil-1 10W60 is available only Outside of USA.

That Mobil-1 contains about 1200ppm of zddp and (forgot the number) molybdenum which will not meet the US/EPA standards and why one will never find this oil in US continent.

But but but oils like Red Line 10W60 which contains zddp about 1200zddp are considered "Off-Road" and why they are advert like that. Just like the 16oz. Red Line zddp I purchase called 'Brake-In" additive which is not considered Oil and why it is available to be sold for public.

This is the Mobil-1 10W60 which is not available for US continent https://www.mobil.com/en-GB/Passenge...ded-Life-10W60

sigpic

- 1990 E30 M3 DS Shwartz S38-B36 (3.6) Sold ! But never forgotten.
                  - 1990 E30 M3 DS Euro S38-B38 3.8 340hp. I promise, I will hide the 2 cyl under the dash which "Engine King". Mr. Paul Rosche took away to make the S14...
                  - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Track Toy S38-B36 Goal is close to 50/50 I pushed the engine almost 15 inches for weight distribution will see...
                  - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Natur, Daily driver.
                  - S38 is an addiction, enthusiastic manner and the perfect match for my E30 M3.

Comment

I'm using Dino Total 20w-50 as recommended by my s14 mechanic after the engine overhaul.
                    Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                    '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                    '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                    '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                    '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                    '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
                      https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...-older-engines

https://www.utterpower.com/epa-pushi...t-of-lube-oil/

I have done quite few tests at BlackStone, Castrol 10W60, Motul 10W60, Luquil Moly 10W60, Mobil 15W50 Red Cap, Liquil Moly 5W-40 all of these oils do contain ZDDP under 1000 matching the EPA regulations somewhere between 700-850ppm of zddp.

There is oil that is produced by Mobil which absolute not known to US people. Mobil-1 10W60 is available only Outside of USA.

That Mobil-1 contains about 1200ppm of zddp and (forgot the number) molybdenum which will not meet the US/EPA standards and why one will never find this oil in US continent.

But but but oils like Red Line 10W60 which contains zddp about 1200zddp are considered "Off-Road" and why they are advert like that. Just like the 16oz. Red Line zddp I purchase called 'Brake-In" additive which is not considered Oil and why it is available to be sold for public.

This is the Mobil-1 10W60 which is not available for US continent https://www.mobil.com/en-GB/Passenge...ded-Life-10W60
                      Have you looked into any of the zddp additives like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ4M2BA/
                      It says a bottle to 6qts gets it to 3000ppm

Comment

I read somewhere that too much ZDDP can be as harmful to your engine as not enough. I'd be careful when adding ZDDP to any oil in an attempt to raise levels. Most major oil companies recommend against adding anything to their oils in part because adding anything will upset the carefully balanced additive package. In some instances adding ZDDP significantly reduced the oil’s wear prevention capability - contrary to what was promised.
                        1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

That's why I asked. 3k is too high and it would be impossible to get the levels right with any additive. As I understand too much leads to sludge.

Comment

I believe 15w-40 was the spec for our cars.

My car is relatively stock, so I run a 0w (or 5w)-40. Usually Shell Rotella.

Not sure why we'd want anything thicker unless the engine wasnt stock internally or had other issues to overcome.

Comment

Working...
                            X